Dan

Default advisability of using a mobile base with a lathe ...

Hi Andy,

Albeit improbable, here is what I have done; I was going to build a mobile base which added a few inches, as I am 6'1"
and the additional height helps on all the other tools in the shop. I have a heavy duty Delta Rockwell lathe which I
had put on a couple of furniture dollies. I did this just to move it around until I could find a spot in the shop where
I was most comfortable with it. I was going to fabricate a mobile base from Unistrut framing, as I had with most of my
other tools.

I am not sure if it is Karma of the proper phase of the moon, but it is rock solid on these two $19 Home Depot dollies.
I have roughed a lot of large walnut blanks without a vibration (free walnut when APS clear cut the powerlines in the
Oak Creek Canyon). I have a hard time believing this would work again or anywhere else, but it does. Prior to this,
and with a smaller lathe, I have loaded the base with sandbags to dampen vibrations. Seems to work and is cheap.

I had the pleasure of two weeks in Tucson this summer, sleeping on the floor of the faculty dining room at Sabino High
School. We were the first-in fire management team on the Aspen Fire. A real tragic loss. We were there for the Bullock
Fire the year before without the loss to property. A third of my staff left yesterday for a clam bake in L.A. and
Ventura Counties. I may be out in a day or two. I was hoping we were done with fire season. By the way, how did the
Performax sander work out? Good luck with the lathe.

Dan Wills,
Sedona

Language, n. The music with which we charm the serpents gaurding another's treasure.
A. Bierce, c.1890

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 05:33:08 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss wrote:

I'm outfitting a new shop, which will include my Nova 3000.
The shop is medium sized, so I'm putting every machine I can onto
a mobile base (bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer, etc). I'm considering
mounting the lathe on a mobile base with lacking casters. I'm
seeking advice, Should I --

a) forget the idea entirely, and mount the lathe to a really stable
base;

b) put the lathe stand on a god-quality (= 1200 pound capacity)
mobile base;

c) do (b), but also set it up so that I have the
stand immobilized on something like elevator bolts when not
being moved.

Advice appreciated --

--Andy BArss