Old August 27th 12, 07:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Anybody using the Nova Cole Jaws or How to get a smooth bottom?

On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 07:04:10 -0700 (PDT), jtpryan
wrote:

I'll Echo what a few have said here.. I spent big bucks (for me, at
the time) for the Oneway jumbo jaws.. Didn't like 'em..

Finally put together a vacuum chucking system out of used parts and
shop-made chucks and never looked back..

Not buying the Jumbo Jaws would have paid for half of my vacuum
system..

Good morning,

I'm interested in these jaws:

http://www.sears.com/nova-woodworkin...1&blockType=G1

But I have a couple of questions. I have a Jet JML-1014 lathe with a 10" swing. I'm wondering if these will fit. The largest bowl I can turn is ~ 10" and I hate to give up too much of that if I can avoid it. But I also like to turn very thin bowls if possible. So, if I recess the bottom to fit on my Nova jaws then I end up having to have the bottom thicker then I want. I would like to turn down that recess flush and thought this would be a solution. I'm also looking at those "donut" jigs, but from what I read I could lose up to 2" off the overall diameter if I do that. Would this also be the problem with the cole jaws? Would I have to give up a lot to achieve this.

Essentially, I guess what I want is the largest bowl I can get, turned thin, with a smooth bottom.

Hmmm, sounds like the perfect woman...

Anyway, any suggestions, as always, appreciated.

-Jim

Old August 28th 12, 09:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I use the Cole jaws regularly on my Myford Mystro lathe which has an eleven
inch swing.

I think you should be O.K on your lathe. I have been using these jaws for
about three years and can only remember one occasion when the bowl came off.
That was because I got a rather heavy catch and the damage from the catch
was worse than the small scratches from the bowl catching the toolrest.

Tom.

wrote:

[...]

Wide Smooth Jaws [email protected] UK diy 3 May 11th 07 11:43 AM
Cole Jaws Woodborg Woodturning 18 December 17th 06 04:57 PM
Plans for Cole jaws & Steady rest. Richard Woodturning 2 February 16th 05 04:46 AM
Cole Jaws size Dave W Woodturning 2 December 9th 04 11:52 AM
bowl too big for cole jaws william kossack Woodturning 18 August 21st 04 04:59 AM