william kossack

Default bowl too big for cole jaws

I am working on a bowl a bit larger than I've finished recently.

I normally reverse a bowl onto my cole jaws and turn the bottom removing
the tenon or anything else as I put the last finishing touches on the
underside.

This bowl is just slightly too big for the cole jaws I have but I have
others that are roughed out and drying that are coming down up soon.

Now what do I do? I figure that I maybe could cut some plywood to make
a jig to hold the bowl in place but I need a starting point of a design.

Bill Rubenstein

You use a jam chuck. You can buy one from Oneway or make your own.

Get some pieces of schedule 40 plastic pipe joining sections (I'm not sure exactly what they
are called but you can't miss them at Lowes). The most useful is maybe 4" in diameter. They
are cheap so you can get some smaller ones too.

Chuck one end in your 4 jaw chuck or expand into the inside, whichever works.

True the other end and round it some. Cover it with duct tape or glue on rubber or whatever.

Reverse your bowl between this (a piece of paper towel will keep it from damaging the inside
surface of your bowl) and your tailstock live center.

Finish all but the little bit you can't get to in the center, then finish that by hand.

I've never owned a set of cole jaws, BTW.

The above works well for vacuum chucking also.

Bill

In article WBzUc.178102$eM2.148793@attbi_s51, says...
I am working on a bowl a bit larger than I've finished recently.

I normally reverse a bowl onto my cole jaws and turn the bottom removing
the tenon or anything else as I put the last finishing touches on the
underside.

This bowl is just slightly too big for the cole jaws I have but I have
others that are roughed out and drying that are coming down up soon.

Now what do I do? I figure that I maybe could cut some plywood to make
a jig to hold the bowl in place but I need a starting point of a design.

Derek Andrews

william kossack wrote:
I normally reverse a bowl onto my cole jaws and turn the bottom removing
the tenon or anything else as I put the last finishing touches on the
underside.
This bowl is just slightly too big for the cole jaws I have but I have
others that are roughed out and drying that are coming down up soon.

I have made several sets of extension arms for my Nova Cole jaws. Each
set comprises 8 L-shaped wooden arms. The long side of each arm has two
holes to bolt to the cole jaws, and a block of wood is glued to the end
of each arm. The cole jaws are closed right up, and the inside edge of
the blocks are faced off so they run true and have a slight dovetail
grip. This approach is also useful for bowls that don't have a rim
suitable to grip. The first set I made was to hold these small bowls:
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/Shopping/BB_bowl.htm

Obviously you need sufficient swing on the lathe to spin this
helicopter-like contraption, and there are safety considerations with
this approach. Don't run it too fast. I have VS so I can start at 0rpm
and work up - I'm not sure I would recommend this on a non VS lathe. You
also need to be very aware of where the extensions are, and if you have
any doubts about the construction, especially the glue up, don't use it.

Another option is to build a donut chuck, but I assume you really wanted
to make use of what you already have.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning

George

This can be done as well.
http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/chuck.htm

Limiting factor - swing of lathe, and I would feel a bit more comfortable
with it, over the stick model.

Or, as before, use a recess instead of a tenon, and decorate prior to
reversing to hollow.

"Derek Andrews" wrote in message
william kossack wrote:
I normally reverse a bowl onto my cole jaws and turn the bottom removing
the tenon or anything else as I put the last finishing touches on the
underside.
This bowl is just slightly too big for the cole jaws I have but I have
others that are roughed out and drying that are coming down up soon.

Obviously you need sufficient swing on the lathe to spin this
helicopter-like contraption, and there are safety considerations with
this approach. Don't run it too fast. I have VS so I can start at 0rpm
and work up - I'm not sure I would recommend this on a non VS lathe. You
also need to be very aware of where the extensions are, and if you have
any doubts about the construction, especially the glue up, don't use it.

Another option is to build a donut chuck, but I assume you really wanted
to make use of what you already have.

Stuart Johnson

Here is a site that shows just what you want.

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/bowljig.html

Stuart Johnson
Red Oak, Texas
In article WBzUc.178102$eM2.148793@attbi_s51, william kossack
wrote:
I am working on a bowl a bit larger than I've finished recently.

I normally reverse a bowl onto my cole jaws and turn the bottom removing
the tenon or anything else as I put the last finishing touches on the
underside.

This bowl is just slightly too big for the cole jaws I have but I have
others that are roughed out and drying that are coming down up soon.

Now what do I do? I figure that I maybe could cut some plywood to make
a jig to hold the bowl in place but I need a starting point of a design.

Tom Weber

william kossack wrote in message news:WBzUc.178102$eM2.148793@attbi_s51...
I am working on a bowl a bit larger than I've finished recently.
...clip...
Now what do I do? I figure that I maybe could cut some plywood to
make
a jig to hold the bowl in place but I need a starting point of a
design.

William,
I made exactly what you're talking about. Used some 3/4" baltic
plywood, which now mount on the original Cole jaws. They will hold a
bowl or platter up to the limit of my lathe, 16".
If you're interested, let me know, and I can take a couple of pictures
and email them to you. Also some notes I made during construction
might prove helpful.
All in all, the jaws were easy to make, cheap (under $10), and work
great. In fact, they stay on my Cole jaws just about all of the time
now.
Tom Weber
Bruce Ferguson

Try Darrel Feltmate's site. He has a section on making cole jaws so you
could make the size you need. He has alot of other cool stuff on his
site. you could do a search to get his site.

bruce

william kossack wrote:

I am working on a bowl a bit larger than I've finished recently.

I normally reverse a bowl onto my cole jaws and turn the bottom removing
the tenon or anything else as I put the last finishing touches on the
underside.
This bowl is just slightly too big for the cole jaws I have but I have
others that are roughed out and drying that are coming down up soon.

Now what do I do? I figure that I maybe could cut some plywood to make
a jig to hold the bowl in place but I need a starting point of a design.

Larry

I did something similar to this but had them made from aluminum stock
by a (next door neighbor) machinist. 2 through holes to bolt to the
Cole jaws where you normally attach buttons, 2 threaded holes (one at
end & one 2" in) to attach buttons. With the 2 button holes at that
spread I can get every width from the minimum of my Cole's to the
maximum of the extension. In other words, each position overlaps with
the next narrower and next wider. If you want a picture email me.
Also, email me if you want the machinist's address & phone. I'm sure
he would be willing to do more of these and mail them out.

william kossack

I was debating something like a circle of wood bigger than the cole jaws
that I could screw to the cole jaws with the correct machine screws and
then construct rubber stoppers that could be put screwed into the wood
either with bolts going all the way through. If I cut the circle into
quarters this would extend the range of the cole jaws.

However I bet I would not even need a complete circle and maybe
rectangulare pieces might work.

PS I don't have a swing problem because my lathe has a rotating headstock.

Derek Andrews wrote:

william kossack wrote:

[...]

william kossack

this is very interesting.

I would need to get a circle cutting rig for my router and then stop at
home depot to get a couple pieces of 3/4 inch plywood

william kossack wrote:

I normally reverse a bowl onto my cole jaws and turn the bottom removing
the tenon or anything else as I put the last finishing touches on the
underside.
This bowl is just slightly too big for the cole jaws I have but I have
others that are roughed out and drying that are coming down up soon.

Obviously you need sufficient swing on the lathe to spin this
helicopter-like contraption, and there are safety considerations with
this approach. Don't run it too fast. I have VS so I can start at 0rpm
and work up - I'm not sure I would recommend this on a non VS lathe. You
also need to be very aware of where the extensions are, and if you have
any doubts about the construction, especially the glue up, don't use it.

Another option is to build a donut chuck, but I assume you really wanted
to make use of what you already have.

ERich10983

For someone looking to make plywood discs to make their own chuck. You might
check out local electrical shops and suppliers. They get some of their wire on
wooden reels made with a cardboard tube and plywood ends. They are usually
thrown away but would be more than willing to have someone take them away.

I work with a local company that winds up with one of these reels every day. 12
inch diameter by 1/2 inch thick.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH
George

I would advise against this practice. Plywood free of voids and with flat
surfaces is what you want, not CDX. Something like appleply or Baltic birch
would be best.

The better your materials, the better your finished product.

"ERich10983" wrote in message
For someone looking to make plywood discs to make their own chuck. You

might
check out local electrical shops and suppliers. They get some of their

wire on
wooden reels made with a cardboard tube and plywood ends. They are usually
thrown away but would be more than willing to have someone take them away.

I work with a local company that winds up with one of these reels every

day. 12
inch diameter by 1/2 inch thick.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH

Peter Hyde

william kossack wrote in message news:bN1Vc.152545$8_6.143597@attbi_s04...
what is the site?

william kossack wrote:

I am working on a bowl a bit larger than I've finished recently.

I normally reverse a bowl onto my cole jaws and turn the bottom
removing the tenon or anything else as I put the last finishing
touches on the underside.
This bowl is just slightly too big for the cole jaws I have but I
have others that are roughed out and drying that are coming down up
soon.

Now what do I do? I figure that I maybe could cut some plywood to
make a jig to hold the bowl in place but I need a starting point of a
design.

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/jaws.shtml
Darrell Feltmate

Bill
the site is down for at least 24 hours until the ISP server is moved to
a larger machine. Keep checking, it should be up again soon.
--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Tom Hoke

Here's an article I just noticed yesterday.
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_123.shtml

How to Make Cole (Jumbo) Jaws for Lathe by Mark Kauder, Phenix City, AL

Lots of pictures and details - an excellent resource.

Tom

"william kossack" wrote in message
snip
Now what do I do? I figure that I maybe could cut some plywood to make a jig
to hold the bowl in place but I need a starting point of a design.

Bruce Ferguson

DOWN !! Oh no. Now what am I going to do? It is almost the week end.
Whew !! I just tried it and it worked, boy do I feel better,

SuperNova custom jaws Jen Woodturning 1 March 29th 04 02:46 AM
Using Brass Round to Lap Chuck Jaws Steve Metalworking 8 November 26th 03 01:46 AM
1st Attempt at large bowl turning RP Edington Woodturning 5 October 23rd 03 03:21 PM