Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Anybody using the Nova Cole Jaws or How to get a smooth bottom?

jtpryan wrote:
Good morning,

I'm interested in these jaws:

http://www.sears.com/nova-woodworkin...1&blockType=G1

But I have a couple of questions. I have a Jet JML-1014 lathe with a 10" swing. I'm wondering if these will fit. The largest bowl I can turn is ~ 10" and I hate to give up too much of that if I can avoid it. But I also like to turn very thin bowls if possible. So, if I recess the bottom to fit on my Nova jaws then I end up having to have the bottom thicker then I want. I would like to turn down that recess flush and thought this would be a solution. I'm also looking at those "donut" jigs, but from what I read I could lose up to 2" off the overall diameter if I do that. Would this also be the problem with the cole jaws? Would I have to give up a lot to achieve this.

Essentially, I guess what I want is the largest bowl I can get, turned thin, with a smooth bottom.

Hmmm, sounds like the perfect woman...

Anyway, any suggestions, as always, appreciated.

-Jim

You've got to figure at least an inch from the inside of the outside
button to the ways of the lathe. If you have a 10" swing, the maximum
bowl rim diameter will be no more than 9" and probably more like 8".

Another thing about cole jaws: If you have your tool rest parallel
to the bottom of the bowl and the bowl starts slipping out of the
jaws, it will catch between the jaws and the tool rest and become an
instant projectile. DAMHIKT.

I fooled around with mine for 3 or 4 years before I got me a vacuum
pump and started vacuum chucking and have never had one leave the
chuck since. Other than the pump you can cobble the rest of the
system together. My headstock shaft is hollow so on the bowl end it
required a faceplate, a rubber plumbing washer, a disk of 3/4" MDF and
facing for the disk is a sheet of foam from Hobby Lobby, glued on with
spray glue. My lathe swing is 15" and my largest disk is 14 7/8" and
it will accommodate a bowl of the same diameter.

If interested check Bill Noble's site at
http://www.wbnoble.com/index.html.

--
G.W. Ross

Closed Hearing for the Caption Impaired...