Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Anybody using the Nova Cole Jaws or How to get a smooth bottom?

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In article ,
jtpryan wrote:

Good morning,

I'm interested in these jaws:

http://www.sears.com/nova-woodworkin...M5857402401P?p
rdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

But I have a couple of questions. I have a Jet JML-1014 lathe with a 10"
swing. I'm wondering if these will fit. The largest bowl I can turn is ~
10" and I hate to give up too much of that if I can avoid it. But I also
like to turn very thin bowls if possible. So, if I recess the bottom to fit
on my Nova jaws then I end up having to have the bottom thicker then I want.
I would like to turn down that recess flush and thought this would be a
solution. I'm also looking at those "donut" jigs, but from what I read I
could lose up to 2" off the overall diameter if I do that. Would this also
be the problem with the cole jaws? Would I have to give up a lot to achieve
this.

Essentially, I guess what I want is the largest bowl I can get, turned thin,
with a smooth bottom.

Hmmm, sounds like the perfect woman...

Anyway, any suggestions, as always, appreciated.

-Jim

I can't tell if those are the mini or the standard (Nova makes both).
The standard are too large, the mini fits

That being said, either set only clamps down at 8 points, while the
donut has a more secure hold.

There is another option., You take the mini-jaws and add a wood addition
to them, that is to say you add machinable jaw set to the cole-jaws. I
used maple that was about 2x6.

When finished you machine a perfect fit recess into the wood jaws and
clamp the bowl with those. If the fit is right, you have a continuous
clamp all the way around the rim of the bowl. Although I would also
bring the tail stock up for the majority of the turning off the tenon.

I like the idea of the machinable jaws. Also the OP talked about a
bottom recess rather than a tenon. I guess a blunt tailstock support
could be used in this case, though. I have used a 1" diameter disk
with a hole for the point for something like this.

--
G.W. Ross

Closed Hearing for the Caption Impaired...