Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default Anybody using the Nova Cole Jaws or How to get a smooth bottom?

On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 07:04:10 -0700 (PDT), jtpryan
wrote:

I'll Echo what a few have said here.. I spent big bucks (for me, at
the time) for the Oneway jumbo jaws.. Didn't like 'em..

Finally put together a vacuum chucking system out of used parts and
shop-made chucks and never looked back..

Not buying the Jumbo Jaws would have paid for half of my vacuum
system..

Good morning,

I'm interested in these jaws:

http://www.sears.com/nova-woodworkin...1&blockType=G1

But I have a couple of questions. I have a Jet JML-1014 lathe with a 10" swing. I'm wondering if these will fit. The largest bowl I can turn is ~ 10" and I hate to give up too much of that if I can avoid it. But I also like to turn very thin bowls if possible. So, if I recess the bottom to fit on my Nova jaws then I end up having to have the bottom thicker then I want. I would like to turn down that recess flush and thought this would be a solution. I'm also looking at those "donut" jigs, but from what I read I could lose up to 2" off the overall diameter if I do that. Would this also be the problem with the cole jaws? Would I have to give up a lot to achieve this.

Essentially, I guess what I want is the largest bowl I can get, turned thin, with a smooth bottom.

Hmmm, sounds like the perfect woman...

Anyway, any suggestions, as always, appreciated.

-Jim