Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Anybody using the Nova Cole Jaws or How to get a smooth bottom?

Good morning,

I'm interested in these jaws:

http://www.sears.com/nova-woodworkin...1&blockType=G1

But I have a couple of questions. I have a Jet JML-1014 lathe with a 10" swing. I'm wondering if these will fit. The largest bowl I can turn is ~ 10" and I hate to give up too much of that if I can avoid it. But I also like to turn very thin bowls if possible. So, if I recess the bottom to fit on my Nova jaws then I end up having to have the bottom thicker then I want.. I would like to turn down that recess flush and thought this would be a solution. I'm also looking at those "donut" jigs, but from what I read I could lose up to 2" off the overall diameter if I do that. Would this also be the problem with the cole jaws? Would I have to give up a lot to achieve this.

Essentially, I guess what I want is the largest bowl I can get, turned thin, with a smooth bottom.

Hmmm, sounds like the perfect woman...

Anyway, any suggestions, as always, appreciated.

-Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

jtpryan wrote:
[...]

You've got to figure at least an inch from the inside of the outside
button to the ways of the lathe. If you have a 10" swing, the maximum
bowl rim diameter will be no more than 9" and probably more like 8".

Another thing about cole jaws: If you have your tool rest parallel
to the bottom of the bowl and the bowl starts slipping out of the
jaws, it will catch between the jaws and the tool rest and become an
instant projectile. DAMHIKT.

I fooled around with mine for 3 or 4 years before I got me a vacuum
pump and started vacuum chucking and have never had one leave the
chuck since. Other than the pump you can cobble the rest of the
system together. My headstock shaft is hollow so on the bowl end it
required a faceplate, a rubber plumbing washer, a disk of 3/4" MDF and
facing for the disk is a sheet of foam from Hobby Lobby, glued on with
spray glue. My lathe swing is 15" and my largest disk is 14 7/8" and
it will accommodate a bowl of the same diameter.

If interested check Bill Noble's site at
http://www.wbnoble.com/index.html.

--
G.W. Ross

Closed Hearing for the Caption Impaired...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
jtpryan wrote:

Good morning,

I'm interested in these jaws:

http://www.sears.com/nova-woodworkin...M5857402401P?p
rdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

[...]

I can't tell if those are the mini or the standard (Nova makes both).
The standard are too large, the mini fits

That being said, either set only clamps down at 8 points, while the
donut has a more secure hold.

There is another option., You take the mini-jaws and add a wood addition
to them, that is to say you add machinable jaw set to the cole-jaws. I
used maple that was about 2x6.

When finished you machine a perfect fit recess into the wood jaws and
clamp the bowl with those. If the fit is right, you have a continuous
clamp all the way around the rim of the bowl. Although I would also
bring the tail stock up for the majority of the turning off the tenon.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In article ,
jtpryan wrote:

[...]

I like the idea of the machinable jaws. Also the OP talked about a
bottom recess rather than a tenon. I guess a blunt tailstock support
could be used in this case, though. I have used a 1" diameter disk
with a hole for the point for something like this.

--
G.W. Ross

Closed Hearing for the Caption Impaired...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Remember they can expand just like they compress.

The rubber / plastic disks (I have a set but forget it has been so
long) - press on the inner side of the lip of the bowl so the foot can
be cut and beautified.

The jaws are soft Aluminum and can be easily cut back by hand or by a
machinist.

Martin

On 8/1/2012 9:04 AM, jtpryan wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"G. Ross" wrote:

I like the idea of the machinable jaws. Also the OP talked about a
bottom recess rather than a tenon. I guess a blunt tailstock support
could be used in this case, though. I have used a 1" diameter disk
with a hole for the point for something like this.

I shamelessly stole that idea from Dale Larson (current AAW President),
I have no idea who he stole if from

"Everything of value I do I learned from someone else" Eli Aviseria

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Take a look at this. You can make it yourself to ensure the max size
that will fit your lathe. And it's easier to move the rubber stoppers.

http://www.woodworkersguide.com/2010...ngworth-chuck/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

That looks nice, but with the adjustments - it would be great for
odd shaped items that need a foot. - The independence of each holder
does that - clamp a triangular chunk. ....

The cole is self centering. The one shown on Sears site seems to fit
easily a 10" lathe. It can get larger but just don't use it that large.
Look at the details below. (the text box)
Martin

On 8/2/2012 12:16 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
Take a look at this. You can make it yourself to ensure the max size
that will fit your lathe. And it's easier to move the rubber stoppers.

http://www.woodworkersguide.com/2010...ngworth-chuck/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Take a look at this. You can make it yourself to ensure the max size
that will fit your lathe. And it's easier to move the rubber stoppers.

http://www.woodworkersguide.com/2010...ngworth-chuck/

That's the 8-point Longworth, which I like a-lot more then the original
4 point

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , G. Ross
wrote:

I like the idea of the machinable jaws. Also the OP talked about a
bottom recess rather than a tenon. I guess a blunt tailstock support
could be used in this case, though. I have used a 1" diameter disk
with a hole for the point for something like this.

Good idea. The problem with a point on the tailstock is that it acts as
a wedge and can easily split the piece when tightened.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 07:04:10 -0700 (PDT), jtpryan
wrote:

I'll Echo what a few have said here.. I spent big bucks (for me, at
the time) for the Oneway jumbo jaws.. Didn't like 'em..

Finally put together a vacuum chucking system out of used parts and
shop-made chucks and never looked back..

Not buying the Jumbo Jaws would have paid for half of my vacuum
system..

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I use the Cole jaws regularly on my Myford Mystro lathe which has an eleven
inch swing.

I think you should be O.K on your lathe. I have been using these jaws for
about three years and can only remember one occasion when the bowl came off.
That was because I got a rather heavy catch and the damage from the catch
was worse than the small scratches from the bowl catching the toolrest.

Tom.

wrote:

[...]

Wide Smooth Jaws [email protected] UK diy 3 May 11th 07 11:43 AM
Cole Jaws Woodborg Woodturning 18 December 17th 06 04:57 PM
Plans for Cole jaws & Steady rest. Richard Woodturning 2 February 16th 05 04:46 AM
Cole Jaws size Dave W Woodturning 2 December 9th 04 11:52 AM
bowl too big for cole jaws william kossack Woodturning 18 August 21st 04 04:59 AM