Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Dogwood??

I hear about it in jokes here, but is there really a wood called dogwood?

I'm doing a charity show in April for the local animal shelter.. "Woofstock"..
They want a pet theme as much as possible, and I'm digging out the zebrawood and
looking for canarywood, but if there really is dogwood, that would/wood be
pretty cool..

If it exists, is it turnable?
Where would I find it?

Any other suggestions of pet theme wood?

Thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

there is dogwood. It is supposed to be the tree that was used to make the
cross Jesus was hung on. I doubt it is commercially available as it is a
small tree and I can't see it being viable for harvesting although I suppose
there might be some specialty place that handles it. Just for the heck of
it I did a quick Google and got nothing but I didn't put a lot of effort
into it. Someone on one of the groups had posted about turning it once --
supposed to turn well.

"mac davis" wrote in message
I hear about it in jokes here, but is there really a wood called dogwood?

I'm doing a charity show in April for the local animal shelter..
"Woofstock"..
They want a pet theme as much as possible, and I'm digging out the
zebrawood and
looking for canarywood, but if there really is dogwood, that would/wood be
pretty cool..

If it exists, is it turnable?
Where would I find it?

Any other suggestions of pet theme wood?

Thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The white and pink flowers(bracts) of the Cornus florida or flowering
dogwood is one of the most beautiful signs of spring here in the
Southeastern US. It is a small shrubby tree and a six inch diameter trunk
would be considered normal for most of these trees. The wood is typically
tan and bland, very hard, tight grained and has little figure. It does turn
well. The wood reminds me of boxwood.
It splits worse than fruitwood and it is said you can hear dogwood checking
as it is felled.. It does polish nicely. Bob Tidwell
"mac davis" wrote in message
I hear about it in jokes here, but is there really a wood called dogwood?

I'm doing a charity show in April for the local animal shelter..
"Woofstock"..
They want a pet theme as much as possible, and I'm digging out the
zebrawood and
looking for canarywood, but if there really is dogwood, that would/wood be
pretty cool..

If it exists, is it turnable?
Where would I find it?

Any other suggestions of pet theme wood?

Thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 19:45:47 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

I hear about it in jokes here, but is there really a wood called dogwood?

I'm doing a charity show in April for the local animal shelter.. "Woofstock"..
They want a pet theme as much as possible, and I'm digging out the zebrawood and
looking for canarywood, but if there really is dogwood, that would/wood be
pretty cool..

If it exists, is it turnable?
Where would I find it?

I don't know whether they are still availalbe ("Although we have a
sizeable quantity, supply is limited"), but my Lee Valley catalog for
2006/2007 has "dogwood shuttle blocks" on page t24
references are 41b70.01 for 1"x1"x17" block, $2.00
and 41b70.02 for 1 7/8"' x 1 1/2" x 13 b1/2" block, $3.10

only one p in my real address / un seul p dans ma véritable adresse
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Another animal wood that comes to mind is Lionheart (Pau Amarillo). I used
it on a toy chest but never turned it. It is yellow as the name Latin name
states. You might make a Zebrawood bowl with a Lionheart goblet as a
chaser. Sorry could not resist.
"mac davis" wrote in message
I hear about it in jokes here, but is there really a wood called dogwood?

I'm doing a charity show in April for the local animal shelter..
"Woofstock"..
They want a pet theme as much as possible, and I'm digging out the
zebrawood and
looking for canarywood, but if there really is dogwood, that would/wood be
pretty cool..

If it exists, is it turnable?
Where would I find it?

Any other suggestions of pet theme wood?

Thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis wrote:
I hear about it in jokes here, but is there really a wood called dogwood?

I'm doing a charity show in April for the local animal shelter.. "Woofstock"..
They want a pet theme as much as possible, and I'm digging out the zebrawood and
looking for canarywood, but if there really is dogwood, that would/wood be
pretty cool..

If it exists, is it turnable?
Where would I find it?

Any other suggestions of pet theme wood?

Thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Sure it exists. Very turnable. I just sold 5 dogwood bowls last week.
Put three pictures on ABPW. All are around 6 inches. A finished bowl,
a regular dogwood bowl blank and a spalted dogwood blank.

Email me at gwrthirty-six at bellsouth dot net (do not spell out the
numbers) and I will send you either one.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

We secretly replaced the dilithium
with Folger's Crystals...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Dogwood can be spectacular. Check 2 of my items on my site:
http://www.truffuls.com/gallery.php?...o untview=Yes

and

http://www.truffuls.com/gallery.php?...o untview=Yes

It can have a slight pinkish color on its own but when it spalts it
can be gorgeous! You can read more about dogwood he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogwood

Please remove splinter before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:18:10 -0500, "Scratch Ankle"
wrote:

there is dogwood. It is supposed to be the tree that was used to make the
cross Jesus was hung on. I doubt it is commercially available as it is a
small tree and I can't see it being viable for harvesting although I suppose
there might be some specialty place that handles it. Just for the heck of
it I did a quick Google and got nothing but I didn't put a lot of effort
into it. Someone on one of the groups had posted about turning it once --
supposed to turn well.

Yeah, Google didn't do me much good, either..
Gerald posted a couple of pics today on ABPW of 2 dogwood bowls..

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
I hear about it in jokes here, but is there really a wood called dogwood?

I'm doing a charity show in April for the local animal shelter..
"Woofstock"..
They want a pet theme as much as possible, and I'm digging out the
zebrawood and
looking for canarywood, but if there really is dogwood, that would/wood be
pretty cool..

If it exists, is it turnable?
Where would I find it?

Any other suggestions of pet theme wood?

Thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:29:07 -0500, "Bob Tidwell" wrote:

The white and pink flowers(bracts) of the Cornus florida or flowering
dogwood is one of the most beautiful signs of spring here in the
Southeastern US. It is a small shrubby tree and a six inch diameter trunk
would be considered normal for most of these trees. The wood is typically
tan and bland, very hard, tight grained and has little figure. It does turn
well. The wood reminds me of boxwood.
It splits worse than fruitwood and it is said you can hear dogwood checking
as it is felled.. It does polish nicely. Bob Tidwell

Thanks, Bob...
It sounds like pens might be a possibility..

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
I hear about it in jokes here, but is there really a wood called dogwood?

I'm doing a charity show in April for the local animal shelter..
"Woofstock"..
They want a pet theme as much as possible, and I'm digging out the
zebrawood and
looking for canarywood, but if there really is dogwood, that would/wood be
pretty cool..

If it exists, is it turnable?
Where would I find it?

Any other suggestions of pet theme wood?

Thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 07:55:50 +0100, Peter Wells wrote:

I don't know whether they are still availalbe ("Although we have a
sizeable quantity, supply is limited"), but my Lee Valley catalog for
2006/2007 has "dogwood shuttle blocks" on page t24
references are 41b70.01 for 1"x1"x17" block, $2.00
and 41b70.02 for 1 7/8"' x 1 1/2" x 13 b1/2" block, $3.10

Damn, Peter.. I remember seeing that...
The LV site seems to indicate that they still have it, too.
THANKS!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 08:37:49 -0800 (PST), "SmPeLlIiNsTsEaR(at)truffulsDOTcom"
wrote:

Dogwood can be spectacular. Check 2 of my items on my site:
http://www.truffuls.com/gallery.php?...o untview=Yes

and

http://www.truffuls.com/gallery.php?...o untview=Yes

It can have a slight pinkish color on its own but when it spalts it
can be gorgeous! You can read more about dogwood he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogwood

Please remove splinter before emailing

Thanks, Melissa...
You do really nice work!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mac - I have turned a dozen or two pieces from dogwood - - I had a
couple chunks from a large old tree - -and it was beautiful! rose/
pink color and great grain. I also found a spalted root burl from
which I turned a couple small bowls that brought very good prices.
A piece of straight trunk or limb will likely split if not turned
rather thin when still green - - but if you turn a vase and like to
keep the splits (or fill them with a contrasting color) they work
fine - and many people are drawn to them because they are dogwood.
There is also Jamaica dogwood that grows down in the S Florida and the
Keys. Very different from the normal dogwood in the Southeast - - but
great!.

I think I have pics of both if you are interested -

I think I have a bit of both lying about - how much do you need? Let
me know and maybe we can deal!

- Hought

mac davis wrote:
I hear about it in jokes here, but is there really a wood called dogwood?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:11:41 -0800 (PST), hwahl wrote:

I think I have pics of both if you are interested -

Cool.. I'd like to see them, Hought...

I think I have a bit of both lying about - how much do you need? Let
me know and maybe we can deal!

Well, I'm always open to that kind of thing, but I don't get to the States very
often and I can't mail anything but letter from here..
Ya never know, though, the show isn't until April..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

also canary wood

but wouldn't you want to make dogwood boxes with catseye insets in the top?
that would probably get the most interest
"mac davis" wrote in message
I hear about it in jokes here, but is there really a wood called dogwood?

I'm doing a charity show in April for the local animal shelter..
"Woofstock"..
They want a pet theme as much as possible, and I'm digging out the
zebrawood and
looking for canarywood, but if there really is dogwood, that would/wood
be
pretty cool..

If it exists, is it turnable?
Where would I find it?

Any other suggestions of pet theme wood?

Thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 26, 9:45*pm, "William Noble" wrote:
also canary wood

but wouldn't you want to make dogwood boxes with catseye insets in the top?
that would probably get the most interest"Jack Casuso" wrote in message

Another animal wood that comes to mind is Lionheart (Pau Amarillo). *I
used it on *a toy chest but never turned it. *It is yellow as the name
Latin name states. *You might make a Zebrawood bowl with a Lionheart
goblet as a chaser. *Sorry could not resist.
"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
I hear about it in jokes here, but is there really a wood called dogwood?

I'm doing a charity show in April for the local animal shelter..
"Woofstock"..
They want a pet theme as much as possible, and I'm digging out the
zebrawood and
looking for canarywood, but if there really is dogwood, that would/wood
be
pretty cool..

If it exists, is it turnable?

Mac,
I love dogwood. I have seen Pacific dogwood that are up to 18 inch
diameter, but that is rare. Ornamental ones are up to 8 inches or so.
Lovely smooth even grain. Never had much problem with it splitting any
more than any other wood, but it is wet here. I do have some small
pieces I could send you but don't know about sending to Mexico. Let me
know.

robo hippy

Where would I find it?

Any other suggestions of pet theme wood?

Thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 23:12:22 -0800 (PST), robo hippy
wrote:

Mac,
I love dogwood. I have seen Pacific dogwood that are up to 18 inch
diameter, but that is rare.

Pacific dogwood?? I've live on the left coast all of my life.. How'd I miss that
one?
Onamental ones are up to 8 inches or so. Lovely smooth even grain. Never had much problem with it splitting any
more than any other wood, but it is wet here. I do have some small pieces I could send you but don't know about sending to Mexico. Let me
know.

robo hippy

Well, you could hand deliver them, ya know.. *g*
Maybe even find a way to write off a delivery/fishing trip, too..

Maybe take a chunk of ironwood back with you...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 25, 7:45*pm, mac davis wrote:
I hear about it in jokes here, but is there really a wood called dogwood?

Numerous varieties of Dogwood are represented in the insignia of U.S.
states and Canadian provinces.

The inflorescence of Pacific Dogwood is the official flower of the
province of British Columbia

The Dogwood (Cornus florida) and its inflorescence are the state tree
and the state flower respectively for the U.S. Commonwealth of
Virginia. It is also the state tree of Missouri and the state flower
of North Carolina.

there are 30-50 different species of dogwood
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogwood
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I used to make cleats and chocks for my Bahama sloop out of 'Horseflesh'
, a very hard and tough timber with a streaky grain pattern from
Man-O-War cay in the Bahamas. Don't know if it has other names in other
parts of the world.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:54:29 -0500, JoanD'arcRoast
wrote:

In article , mac davis
wrote:

I hear about it in jokes here, but is there really a wood called dogwood?

I'm doing a charity show in April for the local animal shelter.. "Woofstock"..
They want a pet theme as much as possible, and I'm digging out the zebrawood
and
looking for canarywood, but if there really is dogwood, that would/wood be
pretty cool..

If it exists, is it turnable?
Where would I find it?

Any other suggestions of pet theme wood?

Cat-alpa? :-)

-j

HUH??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:54:29 -0500, JoanD'arcRoast
wrote:

In article , mac davis
wrote:

I hear about it in jokes here, but is there really a wood called dogwood?

I'm doing a charity show in April for the local animal shelter.. "Woofstock"..
They want a pet theme as much as possible, and I'm digging out the zebrawood
and
looking for canarywood, but if there really is dogwood, that would/wood be
pretty cool..

If it exists, is it turnable?
Where would I find it?

Any other suggestions of pet theme wood?

Cat-alpa? :-)

-j

HUH??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Wish I had thought of that. I could have sent you a catalpa bowl.
(Pronounced catawba in South Georgia.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

When you don't know what you're doing,
do it neatly.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:47:52 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote:

Any other suggestions of pet theme wood?

Cat-alpa? :-)

-j

HUH??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Wish I had thought of that. I could have sent you a catalpa bowl.
(Pronounced catawba in South Georgia.

hmm.. continuing my webucation!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hey Mac, I know cats are ok, but I don't know if pet worms are a
welcome theme in your charity show. Any Southern drinking water
fisherman prizes catawba worms that we find on the leaves of catawba
trees or buy from worm merchants. They are really caterpillars, if that
helps.

Wow! I've escaped total memory loss for one more day. Horse Flesh Lives!
David Randolph came thru and sent me the botanical name. Sabicu lysiloma
latisiligua. You could look it up.

Thanks, David.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Did anyone suggest horse chestnut or did I just mis it?

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"Arch" wrote in message
Hey Mac, I know cats are ok, but I don't know if pet worms are a
welcome theme in your charity show. Any Southern drinking water
fisherman prizes catawba worms that we find on the leaves of catawba
trees or buy from worm merchants. They are really caterpillars, if that
helps.

Wow! I've escaped total memory loss for one more day. Horse Flesh Lives!
David Randolph came thru and sent me the botanical name. Sabicu lysiloma
latisiligua. You could look it up.

Thanks, David.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

....and then there's snakewood and of course crabapple, two COC
favorites.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Dogwood ScottKlassen Woodturning 5 November 7th 07 05:41 PM
Dogwood Turnings Scratch Ankle Woodworking Plans and Photos 6 November 6th 07 12:34 AM
What to do with Dogwood Bob Darrah Woodturning 9 November 3rd 04 01:39 AM
Wormy dogwood? Silvan Woodturning 0 November 20th 03 10:17 PM
Dogwood crotch. Does this sound safe? Jeff Bennett Woodturning 3 October 20th 03 08:21 PM