Bob Darrah

Default What to do with Dogwood

I got two big blocks of Dogwood over the weekend. Both are bout 24" by 16"
by 3". Is there anything special that I should know about Dogwood?
--

Bob Darrah
West Linn, Oregon

Lobby Dosser

"Bob Darrah" wrote:

I got two big blocks of Dogwood over the weekend. Both are bout 24" by
16" by 3". Is there anything special that I should know about Dogwood?
--

Bob Darrah
West Linn, Oregon

It's just horrible. I'll drive right over from Beaverton and get rid of it
for you.
Kip055

Is there anything special that I should know about Dogwood?

In my limited experience with dogwood, it is fairly hard, close grained, cuts
and sands well.I had trouble with cracking. BTW, I never realized that it got
that large-most trees that I've seen rarly exceed 8 inches or so in diameter:
is "dogwood" in the east and south different from that found on the west
coast??

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR
Ken Moon

"Kip055" wrote in message
Is there anything special that I should know about Dogwood?

In my limited experience with dogwood, it is fairly hard, close grained,

cuts
and sands well.I had trouble with cracking. BTW, I never realized that it

got
that large-most trees that I've seen rarly exceed 8 inches or so in

diameter:
is "dogwood" in the east and south different from that found on the west
coast??

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

=========================
Kip,
I second that opinion. My Dad's place in N. Alabama has an dogwood that is
over 50 years old (it was grown when we built the house in '47. I think it
is the largest I've ever seen (canopy about 35 ft), and there is no way I
could get a blank the size he's talking about. Max diameter is probably
around 10-11 in. Of course they do have some BIG trees west of the Rockies!
Maybe dogwood gets bigge there.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Tony Manella

Hi Bob,
That's some good sized dogwood. Does it have some crotch wood? The
dogwoods that grow around here in PA get that big at the base but branch out
only a couple of feet from the ground. Dogwood is a very hard smooth
grained wood. It turns nicely, sands well and finishes well. I've sanded
to 2000 grit and gotten a beautiful shine from it. I love the pinkish color
of the wood. Nice find!
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com/

"Bob Darrah" wrote in message
news
I got two big blocks of Dogwood over the weekend. Both are bout 24" by 16"
by 3". Is there anything special that I should know about Dogwood?
--

Bob Darrah
West Linn, Oregon

Ghodges2

Check out these 2 dogwood bowls over at Sawmill Creek Woodturning Forum
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13205
Bob Darrah

Very nice! Thanks for directing me to it.

Bob
"Ghodges2" wrote in message
Check out these 2 dogwood bowls over at Sawmill Creek Woodturning Forum
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13205

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:39:56 -0700, "Bob Darrah"
wrote:

I got two big blocks of Dogwood over the weekend. Both are bout 24" by 16"
by 3". Is there anything special that I should know about Dogwood?

James R. Shields

Dogwood is one of the most prized woods here in North Carolina. For years it
was the only wood that could be used to make spindles for textile machinery.
"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2004.10.31.23.06.37.151812@notarealserver .com...
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:39:56 -0700, Bob Darrah wrote:

I got two big blocks of Dogwood over the weekend. Both are bout 24" by

16"
by 3". Is there anything special that I should know about Dogwood?

Yes, my street address. ;-)
Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)

Leo Van Der Loo

Pretty plain wood usually, turns very well, very shock resistant and
therefore a good use would be mallet heads and anything else that get
struck or hit upon like chisel handles, and yes used to be, weaving
machine shuttles.
I've got some old textile shuttles, I don't think they get used much
anymore.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2004.10.31.23.06.37.151812@notarealserver .com...

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:39:56 -0700, Bob Darrah wrote:

I got two big blocks of Dogwood over the weekend. Both are bout 24" by

16"

by 3". Is there anything special that I should know about Dogwood?

Yes, my street address. ;-)
Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)
Uptimes below for the machines that created / host these sites.
18:06:00 up 17 days, 49 min, 3 users, load average: 0.41, 0.27, 0.15
17:50:00 up 179 days, 2:51, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Bowl boiling heresy Gerald Ross Woodturning 4 September 7th 04 07:29 AM
Wormy dogwood? Silvan Woodturning 0 November 20th 03 10:17 PM
Dogwood crotch. Does this sound safe? Jeff Bennett Woodturning 3 October 20th 03 08:21 PM