Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Dogwood??

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:29:07 -0500, "Bob Tidwell" wrote:

The white and pink flowers(bracts) of the Cornus florida or flowering
dogwood is one of the most beautiful signs of spring here in the
Southeastern US. It is a small shrubby tree and a six inch diameter trunk
would be considered normal for most of these trees. The wood is typically
tan and bland, very hard, tight grained and has little figure. It does turn
well. The wood reminds me of boxwood.
It splits worse than fruitwood and it is said you can hear dogwood checking
as it is felled.. It does polish nicely. Bob Tidwell

Thanks, Bob...
It sounds like pens might be a possibility..

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
I hear about it in jokes here, but is there really a wood called dogwood?

I'm doing a charity show in April for the local animal shelter..
"Woofstock"..
They want a pet theme as much as possible, and I'm digging out the
zebrawood and
looking for canarywood, but if there really is dogwood, that would/wood be
pretty cool..

If it exists, is it turnable?
Where would I find it?

Any other suggestions of pet theme wood?

Thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing