Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Dogwood Turnings

This is a picture of a couple of things I did in dogwood. The one on the
left was turned green while the other two were turned about a year later.
The finish was just tung oil so I attribute the color difference to the
difference between wet and somewhat dried. I really liked the one on the
left and it was pure luck to catch the grain like I did. The one in the
middle had those two bad spots that were totally hidden until I started
turning. I finished it more as an exercise in fixing voids and cracks using
epoxy with some coloring than anything else. In the end it wasn't all that
bad but even though the log had aged a year, it warped while the green one
on the left did not at all.

This is about the extent of my experience with dogwood and I have little
overall experience anyway. Just started two years ago and haven't done a
lot the past year due to respiratory problems. I just had a dogwood that
needed to be cut down right at the same time I started turning.

Attached Thumbnails
Dogwood Turnings-turnings-009-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Scratch Ankle wrote:

[...]

The dogwood here in Georgia does not have prominent growth rings like
that. Here is a picture of a bowl I turned from it.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

This is precisely the sort of thing
that people who like this sort of
thing will like.

Attached Thumbnails
Dogwood Turnings-dogwood-bowl-sm-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

OOPS! For some reason, when I thought dogwood my mind pulled up that
picture and I quit thinking. SWMBO would probably ask when I started
thinking but that's neither here nor there. This is Red Bud, not Dogwood.
And I only had the one piece in dogwood which looked like Gerald Ross'
picture. Well the wood looked like Gerald's -- I really butchered it which
is probably why I can't find a picture of it. Seeing Gerald's picture made
think about my post and the obvious thing was that there were three turnings
there not one. One would think that would be an obviously clue that the
picture was not of the one item I turned in dogwood, One would be wrong.

So, like Emily Latella from the old Saturday Night Live show always said --
"Never Mind".

[signs off shaking his head muttering about how this must be the male
equivalent of SWMBO yesterday being given a senior citizens price for
coffee]

"Scratch Ankle" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

So, like Emily Latella from the old Saturday Night Live show always
said -- "Never Mind".

[signs off shaking his head muttering about how this must be the male
equivalent of SWMBO yesterday being given a senior citizens price for
coffee]

Good pics and other funny stuff....

Been there, done that... at least I think I have... hmmm, now I
wonder.......

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Well,
whatEVER kind of wood it is, it sure is pretty

K.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks. That one on the left was pure luck catching the grain like I did.
I've been quite impressed with the carving you have done. I do a little
leather work which includes some tooling. While I do OK in leather, my
experience trying to carve wood has not been very good. I'm really
impressed with those boxes and they are creating an urge for me to try
again. I might just do it.

"Kate" wrote in message
.. .
Well,
whatEVER kind of wood it is, it sure is pretty

K.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thank you for your kind words
It seems like my wood kind of tells me what it wants to be, then I just
carve off the parts that don't belong.
Sometimes I carve off parts that DO belong, then I have to alter the pattern
to fix it. Seems to work out on it's own though.

I hope to one day develop skills that are good enough to really take pride
in it.

You should certainly give it a try... it's a lot of fun.

When I was very young I did a little leather work. . A three legged stool
and a few belts. I enjoyed it but never really got into it as a hobby.

Kate

"Scratch Ankle" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks. That one on the left was pure luck catching the grain like I did.
I've been quite impressed with the carving you have done. I do a little
leather work which includes some tooling. While I do OK in leather, my
experience trying to carve wood has not been very good. I'm really
impressed with those boxes and they are creating an urge for me to try
again. I might just do it.

.. .

Dogwood ScottKlassen Woodturning 5 November 7th 07 05:41 PM
From rec.crafts.woodturning: Dusty's turnings - dusty's turnings.jpg mac davis Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 September 6th 07 06:08 PM
Dogwood tree root depth Vince Home Repair 10 October 28th 06 03:20 AM
What to do with Dogwood Bob Darrah Woodturning 9 November 3rd 04 01:39 AM
Wormy dogwood? Silvan Woodturning 0 November 20th 03 10:17 PM