Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Grizzly $99 scroll chuck?

OK, I have read and reread the scroll chuck posts going back a couple
of years or so. There are so many firm convictions about chucks, yet I am
still uncertain.
I am sure leaning towards purchasing the Grizzly $99 scroll chuck and
adding the accessory jaws.
I have very limited turning experience, but have been making a lot of
shavings (and dust) out of neighbor's firewood. I'd like to try something a
little more daring, like a bowl or dish with the base held in one of these
hi-fallootin internal/external foot grasping scroll chucks. The Grizzly
looks and feels fine (I've fondled one a couple of times with lust in my
eyes).
In what ways am I apt to be remorseful if I do the deed?
Old Chief Lynn

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 1, 12:11 am, "Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

In what ways am I apt to be remorseful if I do the deed?
Old Chief Lynn

If you will continue to turn and want to turn some of the projects out
there that all the boys are turning, you will be very glad you have
the scroll chuck. It elimantes a lot of different holding devices and
adds a lot to your speed.

Are you actually a Chief?

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Lynn Coffelt wrote:
OK, I have read and reread the scroll chuck posts going back a couple
of years or so. There are so many firm convictions about chucks, yet I am
still uncertain.
I am sure leaning towards purchasing the Grizzly $99 scroll chuck and
adding the accessory jaws.
I have very limited turning experience, but have been making a lot of
shavings (and dust) out of neighbor's firewood. I'd like to try something a
little more daring, like a bowl or dish with the base held in one of these
hi-fallootin internal/external foot grasping scroll chucks. The Grizzly
looks and feels fine (I've fondled one a couple of times with lust in my
eyes).
In what ways am I apt to be remorseful if I do the deed?
Old Chief Lynn

I just got the Barracuda2 from Penn State and like it very much.
Basically the same chuck but comes with 4 sets of jaws and a screw chuck
adapter, 1"-8tpi and 3/4"-16tpi adapters for $169.95 with $8.00 shipping.
By the time you buy all the accessories for the Grizzly, the Barracuda
may be about the same price.
YMMV.

Mike
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Check on Amazon.com for PSI tools and you'll find the Barracuda 2 for
around $150. I got it from there for a lot less but they changed the
price a couple of days later.
Good luck. It is solid, heavy and has the accessories listed
including a case.
On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 11:14:49 GMT, Sudsy
wrote:

Lynn Coffelt wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 21:11:24 -0900, "Lynn Coffelt"
wrote:

OK, I have read and reread the scroll chuck posts going back a couple
of years or so. There are so many firm convictions about chucks, yet I am
still uncertain.
I am sure leaning towards purchasing the Grizzly $99 scroll chuck and
adding the accessory jaws.
I have very limited turning experience, but have been making a lot of
shavings (and dust) out of neighbor's firewood. I'd like to try something a
little more daring, like a bowl or dish with the base held in one of these
hi-fallootin internal/external foot grasping scroll chucks. The Grizzly
looks and feels fine (I've fondled one a couple of times with lust in my
eyes).
In what ways am I apt to be remorseful if I do the deed?
Old Chief Lynn

Probably none- I have, and use, a $40 Grizzly chuck with a set of
tommy bars, and it is perfectly adequate for anything I've used it for
in the last two or three years (and some of the stuff in that chuck
has been large enough to make my big lathe walk around the shop on
me.)

That isn't to say that a $300 chuck isn't built to a tighter spec or
made of better materials, but when free-hand turning, my opinion is
that if it doesn't let go of the work or cause the pieces to turn out
oval, it's good enough for my foolishness.

In any case, it's better to have a modest chuck you can afford than
not to have one at all because you're waiting for the best one ever to
fall into your lap!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
J. J. is offline

I could understand your hesitation if you had only the catalog photo to
go by but since you've actually held one in your hands, if the heft, fit
and finish all meet your personal sense of good quality, then buy it.
Generally speaking, "junk" is pretty obvious when you get to hold it.

And before you spend that much more money on all the accessory jaws,
consider making work holding jigs that fit the jaws that come with it.
Changing jaws takes time and the little hex head screws are hard to find
amidst a floor full of shavings. Ahem. Yes, well all I'm trying to point
out is that you may not actually require as many jaw sets as they offer.
And keep a strong magnet at hand otherwise. ;-)

J.

Lynn Coffelt wrote:
OK, I have read and reread the scroll chuck posts going back a couple
of years or so. There are so many firm convictions about chucks, yet I am
still uncertain.
I am sure leaning towards purchasing the Grizzly $99 scroll chuck and
adding the accessory jaws.
I have very limited turning experience, but have been making a lot of
shavings (and dust) out of neighbor's firewood. I'd like to try something a
little more daring, like a bowl or dish with the base held in one of these
hi-fallootin internal/external foot grasping scroll chucks. The Grizzly
looks and feels fine (I've fondled one a couple of times with lust in my
eyes).
In what ways am I apt to be remorseful if I do the deed?
Old Chief Lynn

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Lynn Coffelt wrote:

OK,*I*have*read*and*reread*the*scroll*chuck*posts* going*back*a*couple
of years or so. There are so many firm convictions about chucks, yet I am
still uncertain.
I*am*sure*leaning*towards*purchasing*the*Grizzly*$ 99*scroll*chuck*and
adding the accessory jaws.

I know nothing of any flaws with the Grizzly chuck, but I bought a Pinnacle
chuck from Woodcraft (yes, I have a part-time job there) a few months ago and
haven't found any problems with it either. Take a look at:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=20042

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Lynn,

I haven't personally checked out the Grizzley scroll chuck, but I
think it is a Chinese copy of the Vicmarc Chuck. Victor, owner of
Vicmarc, said that the Chinese even copied his user manual to supply
with it. The Chinese are capable of making fairly good quality stuff,
so I would consider purchasing the chuck in your case.

An earlier Grizzley chuck with two tommy bars that I purchased to
check out was so sloppy that I wouldn't trust it to hold anything;
however, someone else has posted that they use that chuck. So maybe
the one I received was extra bad for some reason.

For many years, I've used the Nova line of chucks and have a dozen or
so of them to save changing jaws. The new Supernova 2 is one of the
best from them, but the little new Nova G3 Chuck is very good and the
price is reasonable.

Welcome to woodturning. You might wish to purchase my book, "A Guide
to Work Holding on the Lathe". It will answer quite a few questions
that you may have as your turning experience progresses. You can get
it from Amazon.com.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

On Mar 31, 10:11 pm, "Lynn Coffelt" wrote:
OK, I have read and reread the scroll chuck posts going back a couple
of years or so. There are so many firm convictions about chucks, yet I am
still uncertain.
I am sure leaning towards purchasing the Grizzly $99 scroll chuck and
adding the accessory jaws.
I have very limited turning experience, but have been making a lot of
shavings (and dust) out of neighbor's firewood. I'd like to try something a
little more daring, like a bowl or dish with the base held in one of these
hi-fallootin internal/external foot grasping scroll chucks. The Grizzly
looks and feels fine (I've fondled one a couple of times with lust in my
eyes).
In what ways am I apt to be remorseful if I do the deed?
Old Chief Lynn

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 1 Apr 2007 08:51:10 -0700, "Fred Holder"
wrote:

Hello Lynn,

I haven't personally checked out the Grizzley scroll chuck, but I
think it is a Chinese copy of the Vicmarc Chuck. Victor, owner of
Vicmarc, said that the Chinese even copied his user manual to supply
with it. The Chinese are capable of making fairly good quality stuff,
so I would consider purchasing the chuck in your case.

An earlier Grizzley chuck with two tommy bars that I purchased to
check out was so sloppy that I wouldn't trust it to hold anything;
however, someone else has posted that they use that chuck. So maybe
the one I received was extra bad for some reason.

Since I'm the guy that is using one of them, I figure I'd better add
in at least one qualification-

My inital response to the cheap Grizzly was the same as yours, and I
did lose a few pieces when I first got it, even when reefing on the
bars as hard as I could.

Of course, having little cash on hand, I had to make the one I had
work, rather than rushing out to buy another, and while I made no
modifications to the chuck itself, I did find that some modification
to the work I was turning was in order.

What I found (and it's still quite possible that yours was just extra
bad, as you suggest) was that the chuck works really well, but only on
a limited range of tenon sizes (only slightly larger than the chuck in
the fully closed position) Using a large tenon or recess might work
out ok with a better chuck that has a little more bite to it, but with
the smooth-jawed cheapie, it needs all the metal contact it can get.

After using it for quite a while, I can say with some confidence that
it works well- though I would have had a different opinion about it
the first time I tried to chuck up a piece with a 4" diameter tenon on
the bottom, and it went sailing off the lathe!

All that being said, it's like any other cheap tool- it works fine
with a little practice and fussing around, but it's not a miracle
worker right out of the box.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I bought one of the $40 Grizzly chucks, knowing it wouldn't be too good, and
wasn't too surprised when it wasn't.

1. It turned fine, empty. As soon as I closed it on some wood the jaws
moved off center, so that the tenon was not at the center of the piece. Not
a problem until I wanted to turn a tenon on a piece mounted between centers
or on a faceplate, and then mount the piece on the chuck. Everything was
eccentric.

2. The dovetail inside the jaws, and outside is just plain inadequate for
holding work more than 3" in diameter.

My own fault. I got it, then set it aside. By the time I discovered its
inadequacies, the 90 day return window had long passed.

BTW, I'm not sure what all the hullabaloo about tommy bars is. They aren't
that hard to use, if it saves me money.

Old Guy.

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
. ..
OK, I have read and reread the scroll chuck posts going back a couple
of years or so. There are so many firm convictions about chucks, yet I am
still uncertain.
I am sure leaning towards purchasing the Grizzly $99 scroll chuck and
adding the accessory jaws.
I have very limited turning experience, but have been making a lot of
shavings (and dust) out of neighbor's firewood. I'd like to try something
little more daring, like a bowl or dish with the base held in one of these
hi-fallootin internal/external foot grasping scroll chucks. The Grizzly
looks and feels fine (I've fondled one a couple of times with lust in my
eyes).
In what ways am I apt to be remorseful if I do the deed?
Old Chief Lynn

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Yes I KNEW better, but I thought I would be able to improve one of
those things, however when I checked it all out and did some
measuring, and than not willing to give in, I chucked it in on my
engine lathe and had a other fling at it, I realized how bad and
cheaply made the thing was.
I'm not exaggerating when I say, it would be easier to make one from
scrap than to try to make one of those into a half decent chuck.
So now I have one of those POS, it never saw a piece of wood, and it
never will, I like my face just fine the way it is, and don't want it
to be reconstructed by a chunk of wood that failed to stay in its
grip.
Seems like taking a chance with one of those cheapies is hard to
resist, I did come close enough to buy one, but I'll never use it.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Apr 1, 9:39 pm, "Old guy" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks to all the great advice. There were lots of good points to be
considered. The one mentioned that is (or was) tempting is the Barracuda2
offer from Penn State. The only thing that squelched that combo deal (with
several sets of jaws) is that my lathe's spindle is threaded 1 x 12. (I
know, you've probably already guessed Grizzly) The Barracuda2 doesn't seem
to be offered with that thread or adapter. Probably could make an adapter,
but it would be an "extension" type, and likely induce too much "runout".
The Grizzly still has it's appeal, dispite words of wisdom offered here
by some of the best in the business.
Was PT Barnham correct? A fool born every minute?
I'll bring you up to date in a few weeks, after I launch or sling a
bowl or two, just to get the hang of it. Thanks again!
Old Chief Lynn (retired USAF Chief Master Sgt)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Lynn Coffelt wrote:

Was PT Barnham correct? A fool born every minute?
I'll bring you up to date in a few weeks, after I launch or sling a
bowl or two, just to get the hang of it. Thanks again!
Old Chief Lynn (retired USAF Chief Master Sgt)

I've been using a $50 'utility' chuck for about two years now. I've
never lost a piece due to the chuck.
YMMV

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000730-2, 04/03/2007
Tested on: 4/3/2007 3:48:37 AM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message

The Grizzly still has it's appeal, dispite words of wisdom offered
here
by some of the best in the business.
Was PT Barnham correct? A fool born every minute?
I'll bring you up to date in a few weeks, after I launch or sling a
bowl or two, just to get the hang of it. Thanks again!
Old Chief Lynn (retired USAF Chief Master Sgt)

Could work out. the same "wise men" have told me on more than one occasion
that my slick-jawed Novas were no good, and my method of using them even
worse.

Hasn't stopped me from using them, but I get all the support I can. In
turning it's from the tailstock, and, as always, good procedure. Remember,
always snug the chuck prior to adjusting or removing the other support, no
matter what that is. Keep you speed as low as your level of impatience will
allow rather than as high as the equipment will allow and you'll do much
better. I worked for our mutual uncle as well, and decisions made at 500
feet and 300 knots were made to a different standard than those devised by
second-guessing SOBs at groundspeed zero looking at the film next day....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article , Lynn Coffelt
wrote:

Thanks to all the great advice. There were lots of good points to be
considered. The one mentioned that is (or was) tempting is the Barracuda2
offer from Penn State. The only thing that squelched that combo deal (with
several sets of jaws) is that my lathe's spindle is threaded 1 x 12. (I
know, you've probably already guessed Grizzly) The Barracuda2 doesn't seem
to be offered with that thread or adapter. Probably could make an adapter,
but it would be an "extension" type, and likely induce too much "runout".
The Grizzly still has it's appeal, dispite words of wisdom offered here
by some of the best in the business.
Was PT Barnham correct? A fool born every minute?
I'll bring you up to date in a few weeks, after I launch or sling a
bowl or two, just to get the hang of it. Thanks again!
Old Chief Lynn (retired USAF Chief Master Sgt)

Lynn, I've got a Grizzly chuck, and I've got a Supernova2. Don't mess
around. Spend the extra $75 + ship. You will not regret it.

-j
(currently saving up to buy another Supernova2 from the guy on eBay)
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I worked for our mutual uncle as well, and decisions made at 500
feet and 300 knots were made to a different standard than those devised by
second-guessing SOBs at groundspeed zero looking at the film next day....

AMEN!!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Grizzly $99 scroll chuck? (Greenhorn's review)

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
. ..
Bought the additional jaws offered by Grizzly, and test mounted
them on the chuck. I noticed immediately that they did not come
together perfectly when fully closed, but found that by loosening the
jaw attaching screws slightly, closing the jaws together and then
retightening the screws resulted in an "eyeball" perfect closing.

My 8 gallon ShopVac is full now, is there any good use for
these chips, curls and dust? Seems a shame to waste so much
good stuff!
Old Chief Lynn (whose SHMBO has been quite tolerant)

You followed the instructions for mounting jaws that come with a NOVA .
Probably works for the same reason.

As to shavings, they make great fire starters when they're from dry wood.
Looks almost like excelsior, and makes decent heat. Dust isn't worth the
effort. Mulch potential or compost when properly blended with grass
clippings or other material. Just delivered nine feed sacks stuffed with
fresh birch and maple to my neighbor's place. He returned some of last
year's, well-mixed with horse manure. The poppies will love it.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
Thanks to all the great advice. .

(big snip)

Was PT Barnham correct? A fool born every minute?
I'll bring you up to date in a few weeks, after I launch or sling a
bowl or two, just to get the hang of it. Thanks again!
Old Chief Lynn

Well, I did get the Grizzly $99 scroll chuck and although I have not
used (or looked closely) at any other scroll chucks, I offer my opinion.

Although it was clear that it was not made by Swiss watchmakers,
it did look fairly well made. It's opening and closing seemed a little
"gritty", so I disassembled it and flushed it all out with plenty of WD-40.
Yes, there was dirt and a few small machining chips that came out,
and then after reoiling (mostly for rust protection) it operated fairly
smoothly.
Bought the additional jaws offered by Grizzly, and test mounted
them on the chuck. I noticed immediately that they did not come
together perfectly when fully closed, but found that by loosening the
jaw attaching screws slightly, closing the jaws together and then
retightening the screws resulted in an "eyeball" perfect closing.
Mounting the chuck on my 14" Grizzly lathe made it look pretty
small, but checking the runout of both the chuck body, and around
the outside diameter of the closed jaws showed less than .001".
I was impressed as the face plate that came with the lathe had
a lot more than that.
I tried turning some scrap (my best work to date) to use both
the internal and external dovetail sides of the jaws, and nothing
flew off. Seemed pretty secure to me, a certified greenhorn.
I dulled all my recently purchased (and sharpened) tools,
(a really elegant 7 piece carbon steel set which retailed at $29.95)
learning how to produce great "catches" and surprise "scrolling".
My 8 gallon ShopVac is full now, is there any good use for
these chips, curls and dust? Seems a shame to waste so much
good stuff!
Old Chief Lynn (whose SHMBO has been quite tolerant)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
Bought the additional jaws offered by Grizzly, and test mounted
them on the chuck. I noticed immediately that they did not come
together perfectly when fully closed, but found that by loosening the
jaw attaching screws slightly, closing the jaws together and then
retightening the screws resulted in an "eyeball" perfect closing.

My 8 gallon ShopVac is full now, is there any good use for
these chips, curls and dust? Seems a shame to waste so much
good stuff!
Old Chief Lynn (whose SHMBO has been quite tolerant)

Well, I don't know what they're doing with them, but I always put my
chips out on the curb with a sign that says "Free" and lists the wood
species inside. They're always gone within hours.

Best guess is people use them for mulch. I've done that myself around
the bushes in front of the house. Looks all right, and is less risky
for landscaping than rocks, which seem to like to roll out to where
the mower can grab and toss them.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Shavings make a great addition to the compost pile, especially green birch
and poplar. Mix half and half by volume with green material such as weeds or
grass clippings or kitchen waste and turn the pile every fourth day. It will
pasteurize itself killing weed seeds and be ready for the garden in two to
three weeks.
Shavings for horse bedding should not contain any of the juglans family of
trees. That would be any of the wallnuts or butternuts.
Offcuts make great kindling and shavings also make good mulch but again,
none of the juglans family and I am not sure about some types of eucalyptus,
not that that matters here around Nova Scotia.
---
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS
http://aroundthewoods.com
http://roundopinions.blogspot.com

"Prometheus" wrote in message
news

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 26, 11:52 am, "Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

SNIP of some good info

Lynn - glad you like you chuck. It sounds nice, and now you make
another that seems to like these really well. I have to say that at a
hundred, its hard to kick about a decent keyed chuck.

Thanks for the review. I hope you are hanging around here and let us
all know what you think about it in a year or so.

One more small thing... not picking here....

I think it would be great when this much time passes between your
original post and the follow up if you would start a new thread so
that everyone that benefits from this review. Hands on reviews of
products from actual users are like gold, and I am sure others would
appreciate your comments. I is also easier for those to find your
review as some newsreaders prioritize the subject line, not the
contents.

Thanks for the follow up.

One more thing, I use my shavings in my garden, I pack green turnings
in them and put shavings and piece in a plastic grocery bag to let he
piece stabilize, my neighbors use them for mulch, and I bbq, I use the
mesquite shavings in the pit.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article fkmYh.2170$JF6.1194@edtnps90,
"Darrell Feltmate" wrote:

Shavings make a great addition to the compost pile, especially green birch
and poplar.

Mine never make it that far, I have two potter friends that want every
chip I do for pit firing

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If that's the Grizzly H6265, I have one (too) and it works fine for me.
MUCH more convenient than the independent 4-jaw chuck I received with the
lathe.

I do wish I had a couple of the expensive ones to compare it with, though.

DougVL