Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
J. J. is offline

Default Grizzly $99 scroll chuck?

I could understand your hesitation if you had only the catalog photo to
go by but since you've actually held one in your hands, if the heft, fit
and finish all meet your personal sense of good quality, then buy it.
Generally speaking, "junk" is pretty obvious when you get to hold it.

And before you spend that much more money on all the accessory jaws,
consider making work holding jigs that fit the jaws that come with it.
Changing jaws takes time and the little hex head screws are hard to find
amidst a floor full of shavings. Ahem. Yes, well all I'm trying to point
out is that you may not actually require as many jaw sets as they offer.
And keep a strong magnet at hand otherwise. ;-)

J.

Lynn Coffelt wrote:
OK, I have read and reread the scroll chuck posts going back a couple
of years or so. There are so many firm convictions about chucks, yet I am
still uncertain.
I am sure leaning towards purchasing the Grizzly $99 scroll chuck and
adding the accessory jaws.
I have very limited turning experience, but have been making a lot of
shavings (and dust) out of neighbor's firewood. I'd like to try something a
little more daring, like a bowl or dish with the base held in one of these
hi-fallootin internal/external foot grasping scroll chucks. The Grizzly
looks and feels fine (I've fondled one a couple of times with lust in my
eyes).
In what ways am I apt to be remorseful if I do the deed?
Old Chief Lynn