Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
bill bill is offline

Default Grizzly $99 scroll chuck?

Check on Amazon.com for PSI tools and you'll find the Barracuda 2 for
around $150. I got it from there for a lot less but they changed the
price a couple of days later.
Good luck. It is solid, heavy and has the accessories listed
including a case.
On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 11:14:49 GMT, Sudsy
wrote:

Lynn Coffelt wrote:
OK, I have read and reread the scroll chuck posts going back a couple
of years or so. There are so many firm convictions about chucks, yet I am
still uncertain.
I am sure leaning towards purchasing the Grizzly $99 scroll chuck and
adding the accessory jaws.
I have very limited turning experience, but have been making a lot of
shavings (and dust) out of neighbor's firewood. I'd like to try something a
little more daring, like a bowl or dish with the base held in one of these
hi-fallootin internal/external foot grasping scroll chucks. The Grizzly
looks and feels fine (I've fondled one a couple of times with lust in my
eyes).
In what ways am I apt to be remorseful if I do the deed?
Old Chief Lynn

I just got the Barracuda2 from Penn State and like it very much.
Basically the same chuck but comes with 4 sets of jaws and a screw chuck
adapter, 1"-8tpi and 3/4"-16tpi adapters for $169.95 with $8.00 shipping.
By the time you buy all the accessories for the Grizzly, the Barracuda
may be about the same price.
YMMV.

Mike