Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Selecting a chuck

Hello, I am trying to select a chuck for my new lathe. I am
considering the OneWay talon, the Super Nova2, and the Vicmarc 5 1/2".
Any thoughts?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have the Vicmarc, well, 3 of them, and have abused them severly. They
have held up well. I haven't used the others, but they all work well. I
prefer keyed chucks instead of the tommy bar ones.
robo hippy
Spinney wrote:
Hello, I am trying to select a chuck for my new lathe. I am
considering the OneWay talon, the Super Nova2, and the Vicmarc 5 1/2".
Any thoughts?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Spinney - I just posted this to you on the woodworking NG. Reposting
here in case you missed it.

Spinney wrote:
I am trying to decide between the Vicmarc 5 1/2", OneWay Talon, and the
Super Nova2 chuck for my new lathe. Any thoughts?

I depends... what lathe are you going to put it on? If you new lathe
is a Jet mini or Rikon midi/mini. the 5 1/2" would be a lot of metal,
and certainly not needed.

Better yet, take this over to rec.crafts.woodturning and post it
there if you haven't already. You will have more opinions than you can
believe, all championing their favorite.

Me, I'm a VicMarc fan. I have two 3 1/2" chucks, and my oldest is
about 8 - 9 years old. Still as smooth as silk after all the abuse and
use that has been heaped on it. Make sure you get a chuck that 1) has
a KEY, not a drill chuck style key with teeth, and 2) has the different
kinds of jaws at affordable prices. You might be surprised at how you
will be thinking of additional jaws for you chuck.

Spend money on the chuck and get a good one. If you are serious, don't
get one that is just "servicable". A lathe chuck is truly worth
dropping the dough on a good one.

I bought both of mine from Bob Gadd in Kanuckistan at a great price,
and he is one of the nicest guys you will ever deal with as a vendor.
I will see if I can dig out a link if you are honestly interested.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Spinney" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, I am trying to select a chuck for my new lathe. I am
considering the OneWay talon, the Super Nova2, and the Vicmarc 5 1/2".
Any thoughts?

I'm Novas, and they seem to have the largest stable of jaws, but any of the
name brand scroll chucks will do the job. You just have to learn to work
with what they have in the way of jaws.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I like my One Way. Personally, I am not that fussed about the availability
of jaws since I use only the ones that came with it, a smaller size and a
set of large jaws I made for bottoms. On the other hand, there are a ton of
jaw sets that fit this chuck and most have lots of jaw sets. Any of the
three you are looking at are good. I would get another One Way if I looked
at another chuck.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"George" wrote in message
news

"Spinney" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, I am trying to select a chuck for my new lathe. I am
considering the OneWay talon, the Super Nova2, and the Vicmarc 5 1/2".
Any thoughts?

I'm Novas, and they seem to have the largest stable of jaws, but any of
the name brand scroll chucks will do the job. You just have to learn to
work with what they have in the way of jaws.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Spinney" writes:

Hello, I am trying to select a chuck for my new lathe. I am
considering the OneWay talon, the Super Nova2, and the Vicmarc 5 1/2".
Any thoughts?

I only have the SuperNova. They are all good. I picked the Nova
because of the package deal available from

http://www.kmstools.com/

Calculate the cost of the equivalent packages using the other Chucks,
and the Nova was a best buy for me.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Spinney" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, I am trying to select a chuck for my new lathe. I am
considering the OneWay talon, the Super Nova2, and the Vicmarc 5 1/2".
Any thoughts?

I have a 5 1/2" Vicmarc (purchased) and a One Way Stronghold (gift from a
friend). I've found both to be functional and free of problems. I've also
discovered that I use the Vicmarc more than the One Way. It hasn't been a
conscious decision, rather just a knee-jerk reaction. That and the fact
that I have some large Adjusta-jaws (Cole-type) for the Vicmarc, which make
turning bowl and platter bases a snap. The SuperNova 2 looks like an
excellent chuck, but I haven't used one.

I'm not concerned with the potential jaw inventory of either brand--I use
the jaws that came with the chucks, plus the large Vic bowl jaws. I may
invest in one other set of jaws--a long-nose or extended dovetail type--but
I really haven't needed either for the most part.

Incidentally the friend who gave me the Stronghold did so because he
purchased a Vicmarc as a replacement. FWIW.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Spinney wrote:
Hello, I am trying to select a chuck for my new lathe. I am
considering the OneWay talon, the Super Nova2, and the Vicmarc 5 1/2".
Any thoughts?

WOW! THANK YOU!!! I appreciate all of the input from everyone. I also
appreciate the links to potential vendors. I think I will buy the
Vicmarc. I guess it would have been helpful to state that it is a 42"
lathe with a 16" spindle to bed clearance. I am using a chuck from my
small midi lathe but it is not strong enough for the larger pieces I
want to turn.

Again thank you to all of you who posted. I really do GREATLY
appreciate the input of your experience.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have both super nova and the larger VicMarc - rarely use the super nova -
I've had trouble with the gear ended key enlongating the hole in the chuck
body - no such problem with VicMarc that uses an allen wrench for a key.
And, at least for me, changing jaws is just a non-issue - never do it
"George" wrote in message
news

"Spinney" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, I am trying to select a chuck for my new lathe. I am
considering the OneWay talon, the Super Nova2, and the Vicmarc 5 1/2".
Any thoughts?

I'm Novas, and they seem to have the largest stable of jaws, but any of
the name brand scroll chucks will do the job. You just have to learn to
work with what they have in the way of jaws.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Spinney wrote:
Nailshooter,

Please forward the link for Bob.

THANK YOU!

Spinney - Bob's old address doesn't work. I know he used to work for
and with KMS tools, and Bruce posted their address above:
http//:kmstools.com

I would try there and see if he is still there and see if he had his
side deal up and running. His store was put together specifically for
the US market, catering to internet and phone orders.

But I visited the KMS site, and the US dollar isn't as strong as it
used to be, and with the new tariffs, etc., the USD price is $281.
Ouch. Plus shipping from Canada.

But I looked around and found it here at $269 for the 5-1/2":

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=991-2400

I buy a few hundred dollars of stuff from Craft Supplies and they have
both the 3-1/2" and
5-1/2" chucks at prices lower than I have seen in a couple of years. I
think last year the 3-1/2" was $239 or so but I don't have an old
catalogue around. I haven't ever had a problem with my Craft Supplies
orders.

I don't think you would be sorry with any of the better chucks, but I
know you won't be sorry with the Vic. Folklore has it that the chuck
was simply a redesigned metal lathe chuck, milled out of solid chunks
of metal. After beating the snot out of the first one that I had
trying to learn the limits of chuck work I must say that there could be
some truth to it. The only appreciable difference after all this time
is that the gears mesh a little smoother.

I always liked the hex wrench as the chuck key and figured that would
be a good thing for me as things get misplaced or lost in the shop
sometimes, especially if I clean. I figured I would just jump in the
truck and go down to the auto parts store and buy myself another one as
soon as I lost this one. But with that kind of security blanket,
wouldn't you know, I have never lost this one for more than a couple of
minutes. I'll bet if it was a special size or fit though, I could have
lost it right away with no problem.

Nice to know something that important COULD be easily replaced.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"William Noble" wrote in message
I have both super nova and the larger VicMarc - rarely use the super nova -
I've had trouble with the gear ended key enlongating the hole in the chuck
body - no such problem with VicMarc that uses an allen wrench for a key.

Sounds like you were trying to crank on it. All you want is snug. Steel's
stronger than wood in compression.

As to jaws, I use three most commonly, on three bodies. An old Nova and two
supers. Most used are the pin jaws and the 50mm, though for long extension
and hollowing I like the so-called 75mm with their broad faces. Good
shouldering over a wide area. They're my latest set, though I do
occasionally still lust after the long nosed jaws as a way to sand outside
after hollowing in with extra room between the piece and the headstock.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Spinney

Like most replies here, I would say the Oneway and Vicmarc are top of
the line chucks, won't go wrong there.
However the big difference is in the JAWS, not how many jaws but the
shape of them, and only the Oneway chucks have the (the basic, Talon
and Stronghold) patented jaw shape that is superior in holding, I have
a link here, take a look, more and better info than I can give you.
http://www.oneway.on.ca/chucks/advantage.htm
http://www.oneway.on.ca/chucks/accessories/no3_jaws.htm

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum30.html

Spinney wrote:
Hello, I am trying to select a chuck for my new lathe. I am
considering the OneWay talon, the Super Nova2, and the Vicmarc 5 1/2".
Any thoughts?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Spinney wrote:
Hello, I am trying to select a chuck for my new lathe. I am
considering the OneWay talon, the Super Nova2, and the Vicmarc 5 1/2".
Any thoughts?

Have a look at this article.

http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russ7.shtml

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

Selecting a chuck Spinney Woodworking 5 January 6th 07 10:55 PM
selecting type of relay Rusty Home Repair 9 September 24th 06 11:48 PM
Help with selecting a finish? nireedmot Woodworking 5 January 14th 06 05:41 PM
Need help selecting vinyl windows [email protected] Home Ownership 1 December 18th 04 09:09 PM
help in selecting welder Dan Metalworking 5 February 16th 04 05:37 AM