Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Selecting a chuck

"William Noble" wrote in message
I have both super nova and the larger VicMarc - rarely use the super nova -
I've had trouble with the gear ended key enlongating the hole in the chuck
body - no such problem with VicMarc that uses an allen wrench for a key.

Sounds like you were trying to crank on it. All you want is snug. Steel's
stronger than wood in compression.

As to jaws, I use three most commonly, on three bodies. An old Nova and two
supers. Most used are the pin jaws and the 50mm, though for long extension
and hollowing I like the so-called 75mm with their broad faces. Good
shouldering over a wide area. They're my latest set, though I do
occasionally still lust after the long nosed jaws as a way to sand outside
after hollowing in with extra room between the piece and the headstock.