Posted to rec.woodworking
nireedmot

Default Help with selecting a finish?

Hi all-

I've done a little shellacing and a fair amount of Danish oiling. I'm
building a bed (walnut) and was planning to oil it until I realized
that projects that I oiled a few years ago that looked fabulous then
have dulled somewhat over time. This was mentioned in one book I saw,
but generally, it's rare to see that aspect mentioned. I'd like to find
a finish that really pops the grain like oil, has a not too glossy
look, doesn't dull, and requires little or no maintenance (and won't
wear from normal sheet friction and such). Is that a quixotic quest? If
so, what are the tradeoffs?

I've never done much real brush work with finishes and I don't have
spray equipment, so I'd like to find a process that requires only a
modicum of skill. I'm wondering if I can use a little oil for the sake
of the grain and then wipe or brush something easy (and not too glossy)
over it. Any help out there from you finishing types?

Thanks.

-Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
High Score

"nireedmot" wrote in news:1137218579.698026.93820
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

[...]

I finished a walnut entertainment center last year with Watco Medium
Walnut oil followed by three coats of satin wiping varnish with great
results. I waited 3-5 days for the oil to cure before I put the varnish
on and had no trouble with bleeding, though shellac in between wouldn't
hurt.

Good luck (and do a test piece first)

-G
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

Get a pound of Cheesecloth and learn how to make Frenching pads. You'll
never voluntarily use a brush again.
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"nireedmot" wrote in message
[...]

Minwax wiping varnish. (or wiping polyurethane, I would have to look at the
can)
You would think it was oil, except it leaves a durable film.
Sadly it requires several applications, but nothing is perfect.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

High Score wrote:

I finished a walnut entertainment center last year with Watco Medium
Walnut oil followed by three coats of satin wiping varnish with great
results.**I*waited*3-5*days*for*the*oil*to*cure*before*I*put*the
varnish on and had no trouble with bleeding, though shellac in between
wouldn't hurt.

I've found I don't need to go through the whole oil process. Just a
wipe with Watco immediately wiped dry will pop the grain. Then I apply
several coats of shellac or, if water is a real problem, polyurethane.

So far the poly has been used only on a desktop and the top of an
aquarium stand :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

I've had good luck with wipe-on polyurethane gel from Rockler - easy to
apply, durable, and it seems to bring out grain nicely. I've applied
it over stain, and over bare wood, but it should apply just as well
over oil as long as the oil is completely dry.
Good luck,
Andy

How to Touch Up Wood Finish? [email protected] Woodworking 0 January 9th 06 04:40 PM
Selecting wall tiles for a shower. [email protected] Home Ownership 3 May 30th 05 07:39 PM
Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
finish on kitchen cabinets leon spinks Home Repair 4 December 1st 04 11:31 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Woodworking 6 April 28th 04 05:45 PM