Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Spinney Spinney is offline

Default Selecting a chuck

Nailshooter,

Please forward the link for Bob.

THANK YOU!

wrote:
Spinney - I just posted this to you on the woodworking NG. Reposting
here in case you missed it.

Spinney wrote:
I am trying to decide between the Vicmarc 5 1/2", OneWay Talon, and the
Super Nova2 chuck for my new lathe. Any thoughts?

I depends... what lathe are you going to put it on? If you new lathe
is a Jet mini or Rikon midi/mini. the 5 1/2" would be a lot of metal,
and certainly not needed.

Better yet, take this over to rec.crafts.woodturning and post it
there if you haven't already. You will have more opinions than you can
believe, all championing their favorite.

Me, I'm a VicMarc fan. I have two 3 1/2" chucks, and my oldest is
about 8 - 9 years old. Still as smooth as silk after all the abuse and
use that has been heaped on it. Make sure you get a chuck that 1) has
a KEY, not a drill chuck style key with teeth, and 2) has the different
kinds of jaws at affordable prices. You might be surprised at how you
will be thinking of additional jaws for you chuck.

Spend money on the chuck and get a good one. If you are serious, don't
get one that is just "servicable". A lathe chuck is truly worth
dropping the dough on a good one.

I bought both of mine from Bob Gadd in Kanuckistan at a great price,
and he is one of the nicest guys you will ever deal with as a vendor.
I will see if I can dig out a link if you are honestly interested.

Robert