Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Maxprop Maxprop is offline

Default Selecting a chuck

"Spinney" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, I am trying to select a chuck for my new lathe. I am
considering the OneWay talon, the Super Nova2, and the Vicmarc 5 1/2".
Any thoughts?

I have a 5 1/2" Vicmarc (purchased) and a One Way Stronghold (gift from a
friend). I've found both to be functional and free of problems. I've also
discovered that I use the Vicmarc more than the One Way. It hasn't been a
conscious decision, rather just a knee-jerk reaction. That and the fact
that I have some large Adjusta-jaws (Cole-type) for the Vicmarc, which make
turning bowl and platter bases a snap. The SuperNova 2 looks like an
excellent chuck, but I haven't used one.

I'm not concerned with the potential jaw inventory of either brand--I use
the jaws that came with the chucks, plus the large Vic bowl jaws. I may
invest in one other set of jaws--a long-nose or extended dovetail type--but
I really haven't needed either for the most part.

Incidentally the friend who gave me the Stronghold did so because he
purchased a Vicmarc as a replacement. FWIW.

Max