Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Selecting a chuck

Spinney wrote:
Nailshooter,

Please forward the link for Bob.

THANK YOU!

Spinney - Bob's old address doesn't work. I know he used to work for
and with KMS tools, and Bruce posted their address above:
http//:kmstools.com

I would try there and see if he is still there and see if he had his
side deal up and running. His store was put together specifically for
the US market, catering to internet and phone orders.

But I visited the KMS site, and the US dollar isn't as strong as it
used to be, and with the new tariffs, etc., the USD price is $281.
Ouch. Plus shipping from Canada.

But I looked around and found it here at $269 for the 5-1/2":

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=991-2400

I buy a few hundred dollars of stuff from Craft Supplies and they have
both the 3-1/2" and
5-1/2" chucks at prices lower than I have seen in a couple of years. I
think last year the 3-1/2" was $239 or so but I don't have an old
catalogue around. I haven't ever had a problem with my Craft Supplies
orders.

I don't think you would be sorry with any of the better chucks, but I
know you won't be sorry with the Vic. Folklore has it that the chuck
was simply a redesigned metal lathe chuck, milled out of solid chunks
of metal. After beating the snot out of the first one that I had
trying to learn the limits of chuck work I must say that there could be
some truth to it. The only appreciable difference after all this time
is that the gears mesh a little smoother.

I always liked the hex wrench as the chuck key and figured that would
be a good thing for me as things get misplaced or lost in the shop
sometimes, especially if I clean. I figured I would just jump in the
truck and go down to the auto parts store and buy myself another one as
soon as I lost this one. But with that kind of security blanket,
wouldn't you know, I have never lost this one for more than a couple of
minutes. I'll bet if it was a special size or fit though, I could have
lost it right away with no problem.

Nice to know something that important COULD be easily replaced.

Robert