Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Robust Tools Lathes

There are some nice lathes at www.turnrobust.com that are on the level
of Oneway lathes. They offer 18x28 and 25x28 models and have some nice
features like stainless bed ways, big sealed bearings, a sliding
headstock, and a seven year warranty, plus they are made in the USA.
As an option, Robust features a Tilt Away which attaches to the end of
lathe and lets you slide the tailstock onto it and rotate it out of the
way. It is what I categorize as a high end lathe in the 5K price range
and certainly worth looking at.

Are there any owner's opinions out there?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

woods wrote:
There are some nice lathes at www.turnrobust.com that are on the level
of Oneway lathes. They offer 18x28 and 25x28 models and have some nice
features like stainless bed ways, big sealed bearings, a sliding
headstock, and a seven year warranty, plus they are made in the USA.
As an option, Robust features a Tilt Away which attaches to the end of
lathe and lets you slide the tailstock onto it and rotate it out of the
way. It is what I categorize as a high end lathe in the 5K price range
and certainly worth looking at.

Are there any owner's opinions out there?

All but a couple of the links are broken ... I get, essentially, nothing
from that web site.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill in Detroit writes:

woods wrote:
There are some nice lathes at www.turnrobust.com that are on the level

All but a couple of the links are broken ... I get, essentially,
nothing from that web site.

It worked for me.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

It worked for me.

Worked for me too. Kinda interesting.

RonB

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Worked fine for me. I love my Stubby, but this looks impressive.

"Bill in Detroit" wrote in message
All but a couple of the links are broken ... I get, essentially, nothing
from that web site.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Seen that lathe before, thought they had gone bankrupt, someone buy
them out ???

Come to think of it that would be a problem though.

woods wrote:
There are some nice lathes at www.turnrobust.com that are on the level
of Oneway lathes. They offer 18x28 and 25x28 models and have some nice
features like stainless bed ways, big sealed bearings, a sliding
headstock, and a seven year warranty, plus they are made in the USA.
As an option, Robust features a Tilt Away which attaches to the end of
lathe and lets you slide the tailstock onto it and rotate it out of the
way. It is what I categorize as a high end lathe in the 5K price range
and certainly worth looking at.

Are there any owner's opinions out there?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 22 Nov 2006 06:54:29 -0800, "woods" wrote:

There are some nice lathes at www.turnrobust.com that are on the level
of Oneway lathes. They offer 18x28 and 25x28 models and have some nice
features like stainless bed ways, big sealed bearings, a sliding
headstock, and a seven year warranty, plus they are made in the USA.
As an option, Robust features a Tilt Away which attaches to the end of
lathe and lets you slide the tailstock onto it and rotate it out of the
way. It is what I categorize as a high end lathe in the 5K price range
and certainly worth looking at.

Are there any owner's opinions out there?

Home page picture links are all broken. Most of the others seemed
okay. I couldn't find prices anywhere (maybe they were in the PDF--I
didn't bother with that--stupid way to do it anyway).

I'm unimpressed with the posting history of the OP. Reads a LOT like a
shill to me. I'll apologize if I'm wrong.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

well, all the photo links in the home page are inop for me - I think he
wrote the web page for IE and ignored any other browser, didn't check it
with IE though

the lathe is a medium sized lathe - as I understand it, at least - it could
revive the "cast iron versus steel" debate again. Several things on the
description strike me as either nonsense or at least streching things a
bit - the big bearing little bearing thing - with a sliding headsock this
doesn't matter, and with adequate swing over bed it also doesn't matter.
the SS ways is a bit bogus - I have a lathe with cast ways, I don't take
particular care of it, and the only time I've seen rust is after turnign oak
or when my roof leaked on it -so SS sounds good but may not be all that
important. No mention of vacuum - on a new design I'd expect some
consideration of that

woods wrote:
There are some nice lathes at www.turnrobust.com that are on the level
of Oneway lathes. They offer 18x28 and 25x28 models and have some nice
features like stainless bed ways, big sealed bearings, a sliding
headstock, and a seven year warranty, plus they are made in the USA.
As an option, Robust features a Tilt Away which attaches to the end of
lathe and lets you slide the tailstock onto it and rotate it out of the
way. It is what I categorize as a high end lathe in the 5K price range
and certainly worth looking at.

Are there any owner's opinions out there?

All but a couple of the links are broken ... I get, essentially, nothing
from that web site.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

LRod writes:

Home page picture links are all broken. Most of the others seemed
okay. I couldn't find prices anywhere (maybe they were in the PDF--I
didn't bother with that--stupid way to do it anyway).

Yup. In the PDF. Prices ranged from $4K to $6K

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"William Noble" writes:

No mention of vacuum - on a new design I'd expect some
consideration of that

I saw in mentioned in the attachments, I think.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message
"William Noble" writes:

No mention of vacuum - on a new design I'd expect some
consideration of that

I saw in mentioned in the attachments, I think.

So what's the difference? for every bell and whistle there's a basic
anyway.

What counts is that this is a big Mutha that will hold whatever setting and
object you put on it. As to price, well, out of my league. But If I were
to pay it, I'd consider I was paying for steel, not hoses or switches.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
LRod wrote:

[...]

talk to an owner... I have, WOW

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article . com,
"woods" wrote:

There are some nice lathes at www.turnrobust.com that are on the level
of Oneway lathes. They offer 18x28 and 25x28 models and have some nice
features like stainless bed ways, big sealed bearings, a sliding
headstock, and a seven year warranty, plus they are made in the USA.
As an option, Robust features a Tilt Away which attaches to the end of
lathe and lets you slide the tailstock onto it and rotate it out of the
way. It is what I categorize as a high end lathe in the 5K price range
and certainly worth looking at.

Are there any owner's opinions out there?

I've talked with a couple, they were -impressed-, See
http://woodcentral.com/newforum/turning.shtml for a review posted today

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ralph E Lindberg writes:

I'm unimpressed with the posting history of the OP. Reads a LOT like a
shill to me. I'll apologize if I'm wrong.

Posting history: 2 in rec.crafts.woodturning

Robust Tools Lathes 45 hours ago
For Sale- motor mount parts for Nova 3000 woodlathe 2 days ago

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Bruce Barnett wrote:

Ralph E Lindberg writes:

I'm unimpressed with the posting history of the OP. Reads a LOT like a
shill to me. I'll apologize if I'm wrong.

Posting history: 2 in rec.crafts.woodturning

Robust Tools Lathes 45 hours ago
For Sale- motor mount parts for Nova 3000 woodlathe 2 days ago

Please learn to properly attribute, I didn't post the above, I
-quoted- it

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

John (NC) wrote:
The pictures are not used as links, but the words under the picture are.

John

I'll give it another trial.

"Optimized for MSIE" gives me the willies. That is the LAST browser I
would use.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ralph E Lindberg writes:

Please learn to properly attribute, I didn't post the above, I
-quoted- it

Please accept my apology...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article . com,
"woods" wrote:

There are some nice lathes at www.turnrobust.com that are on the level
of Oneway lathes. They offer 18x28 and 25x28 models and have some nice
features like stainless bed ways, big sealed bearings, a sliding
headstock, and a seven year warranty, plus they are made in the USA.
As an option, Robust features a Tilt Away which attaches to the end of
lathe and lets you slide the tailstock onto it and rotate it out of the
way. It is what I categorize as a high end lathe in the 5K price range
and certainly worth looking at.

Boy, oh boy... I don't know about the Robust... Never seen one in
person, but given that price is a wash comparing with Oneway (which is
an inevitable comparison given the design of the Robust), I'd have to
lean toward Oneway for several reasons:

- Lathe weight is a big deal when comparing lathes of like swing
capacities. The Robust 2528 weighs about 625 lbs. vs. the Oneway 2436 at
850 lbs.

- The Oneway leg design appears more stable. The adjustability of the
Robust height introduces sliding parts that will inevitably flex more
than solid/welded joints. (A Oneway height is customizable when ordering
for no additional charge.)

- No through bore on the Robust tailstock.

- Swinging pendant arm on the Oneway would appear to offer better
control placement and better control box security from mishaps. (Too,
the Oneway box is much more refined and finished looking than the Robust
- plus an $80 secondary remote box is available for the Oneway.)

- Consider the following descriptions from Robust's website:
25 x 28: Our top-of-the-line sliding headstock model.

18 x 28: Shares many features of its big brother, the 25x28, only
with a smaller swing.

Sweet 16: The newest Robust lathe... Spindle turners like the 36 between
centers.

.... spindle turners like the 36" between centers. Yes we do, so why
limit their top of the line lathe with 28"? Sure, you can purchase
additional bed extensions, but that adds $645 on top of the $5300 2hp
base price. How much of a Oneway can you buy for $6000? How does top of
the line 3hp, with 17" extension and money to spare for other stuff
strike you? (BTW, the spec sheet pdfs for all the Robust lathes have a
footnote "(2)" at the "Center Distance" item, but I couldn't find what
the footnote marker was referring to...)

These notes are merely observations from my reading and looking over the
pictures. I commend the Robust people for taking a risk in producing the
lathe. Inevitably, in the price range they have chosen, they will be
compared to Oneway, Stubby and even the VB36. It's my opinion the Robust
just doesn't have the "whole-package" engineering or refinement to
compete on this level. I think they'd have a killer lathe if they could
manage to get the price down at least $1000.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article .com,
" wrote:

Seen that lathe before, thought they had gone bankrupt, someone buy
them out ???

I suspect you may be thinking of the Serious Lathe.
http://www.seriouslathe.com/wood_lathes.php The company didn't go
bankrupt, but was sold to other folks a year or two ago after years of
struggling along as a second business to the designing engineer.

The Serious lathe is really quite well designed and very solid. It would
give all the top makers a run for the money if they can get more market
penetration and presence outside the Pacific Northwest. BTW, I really
like their camlock tool handle - I hate searching for allen wrenches!!!
Gotta pick me up another one of those one of these days...

Come to think of it that would be a problem though.

That was one of my concerns with Serious when I was considering my last
lathe purchase. Oneway has such a good reputation as well as decent
longevity in the business that I had to weight my decision in that
direction.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If I were going to drop 5k+ on a lathe, I'd turn on all the competitors
before I made the big decision. You wouldn't buy a car without test
driving it -- would you?

Bill

Owen Lowe wrote:
In article .com,
" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If I was going to drop 5K on a lathe (drool, drool, drool) my wife would
drop me :-) The test drive is all I would get. One of these days though,
the kids will all be finished college, and then...

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
om...
If I were going to drop 5k+ on a lathe, I'd turn on all the competitors
before I made the big decision. You wouldn't buy a car without test
driving it -- would you?

Bill