Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein Bill Rubenstein is offline

Default Robust Tools Lathes

If I were going to drop 5k+ on a lathe, I'd turn on all the competitors
before I made the big decision. You wouldn't buy a car without test
driving it -- would you?

Bill

Owen Lowe wrote:
In article .com,
" wrote:

Seen that lathe before, thought they had gone bankrupt, someone buy
them out ???

I suspect you may be thinking of the Serious Lathe.
http://www.seriouslathe.com/wood_lathes.php The company didn't go
bankrupt, but was sold to other folks a year or two ago after years of
struggling along as a second business to the designing engineer.

The Serious lathe is really quite well designed and very solid. It would
give all the top makers a run for the money if they can get more market
penetration and presence outside the Pacific Northwest. BTW, I really
like their camlock tool handle - I hate searching for allen wrenches!!!
Gotta pick me up another one of those one of these days...

Come to think of it that would be a problem though.

That was one of my concerns with Serious when I was considering my last
lathe purchase. Oneway has such a good reputation as well as decent
longevity in the business that I had to weight my decision in that
direction.