Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Robust Tools Lathes

well, all the photo links in the home page are inop for me - I think he
wrote the web page for IE and ignored any other browser, didn't check it
with IE though

the lathe is a medium sized lathe - as I understand it, at least - it could
revive the "cast iron versus steel" debate again. Several things on the
description strike me as either nonsense or at least streching things a
bit - the big bearing little bearing thing - with a sliding headsock this
doesn't matter, and with adequate swing over bed it also doesn't matter.
the SS ways is a bit bogus - I have a lathe with cast ways, I don't take
particular care of it, and the only time I've seen rust is after turnign oak
or when my roof leaked on it -so SS sounds good but may not be all that
important. No mention of vacuum - on a new design I'd expect some
consideration of that

"Bill in Detroit" wrote in message
woods wrote:
There are some nice lathes at www.turnrobust.com that are on the level
of Oneway lathes. They offer 18x28 and 25x28 models and have some nice
features like stainless bed ways, big sealed bearings, a sliding
headstock, and a seven year warranty, plus they are made in the USA.
As an option, Robust features a Tilt Away which attaches to the end of
lathe and lets you slide the tailstock onto it and rotate it out of the
way. It is what I categorize as a high end lathe in the 5K price range
and certainly worth looking at.

Are there any owner's opinions out there?

All but a couple of the links are broken ... I get, essentially, nothing
from that web site.

Bill