Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Lathe Purchase

I've been considering purchasing either the Jet 1014VS mini lathe
($329.99 shipped through Amazon)
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=136-907 or Harbor
Freight's 12" x 33 3/8" lathe ($341.98
shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though as
a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if the extra
capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's mini lathe is
a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's quality. (If you own
the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This maybe a "no brainer" for
some but I sure could use a little help deciding. Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"P.I._Maine" wrote:

Harbor Freights link to the lathe I'm considering is
Thanks

that lathe is currently on sale (store only) for $199.99. If you get
on their e-mail list they send out 20% off coupons every so often. $180
for that lathe would be a bargain.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

P.I.
I own neither lathe but I would question turning a bowl larger than 12" on a
lthe that turns 600 rpm at its slowest speed with a frame that looks pretty
light from the Harbor Freight picture. Too many of today's lathes have a
pivoting headstock for sales purposes but have neither the beef not the slow
speed to turn a large piece of out of balance wood.
Just something to think about.
(I have turned an 18" bowl on my light Record bowl lathe with a slow speed
of 575 rpm but it is bolted to the floor and the procedure was a bit of an
adrenalin boost. :-) )
--
______
God bless and safe turning

shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=347
06
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though

as
a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if the

extra
capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's mini lathe

is
a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's quality. (If you own
the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This maybe a "no brainer"

for
some but I sure could use a little help deciding. Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Ralph, Thanks for letting me know about the sale price, unfortunately the
closest store to me would be in New York which is about 600 miles away from
northern Maine. I sure have appreciated Amazon's free shipping for anything
over $25 policy. It's been a big help in buying tools in the past. Jeff

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Good point Darrell and an eye opener, I'm hoping someone with first hand
experience can sway my decision that maybe the HF lathe is indeed a good
lathe and beefy enough to handle larger stuff than what the Jet lathe would.
I wouldn't want to get the Jet mini and feel like I need to buy a larger one
down the road. Thanks for your input, Jeff

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

suggestion

the jet mini is a good learning lathe if you don't already own a lathe
and your just starting. You might spend 2 to 3 times the cost of the
jet on chisels, chucks, grinder, chainsaw (to collect your own wood),
and stuff for sanding and finishing your turnings. the HF lathe is
probably OK for learning. I started out with a really poor Grizzley
lathe (I had been looking at the Jet but my wife got me the Grizzley).

Many people do quite well on the jet mini but then step up to something
larger. Most keep their minis. They are in demand and could easily be
sold but don't. Those that get something like the HF or gizzley don't
keep them. I sold mine for $60 (1/3rd of its original cost). A used
Jet mini does not loose much of it's value.

Then after you get hooked save up you money and buy a better lathe.

P.I._Maine wrote:
[...]

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi P.I.,

As stated already the Jet is a nice small lathe. The Harbor Freight is a
nice big lathe. A buddy of mine has the H.F. lathe and does great work on
it. He does all spindle work. He does not turn bowls. I have used his on
occasion and it would do very well for bowls as well. Heavy cast iron bed is
very nice a lot of heft to it. Not a bad option for you. I wouldn't do a
great deal of very large bowls on it with the high speed. And nothing out
board if it's not balanced. But a nice over all lathe. Good luck with your
decision making. I hope this helps.

Dan
"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
I've been considering purchasing either the Jet 1014VS mini lathe
($329.99 shipped through Amazon)
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=136-907 or Harbor
Freight's 12" x 33 3/8" lathe ($341.98
shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though
as a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if the
extra capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's mini
lathe is a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's quality.
(If you own the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This maybe a
"no brainer" for some but I sure could use a little help deciding. Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Most people that own a little Jet seem to be pleased with it, owners
off the harbor freight lathe on the other hand seem to have all kinds
of problems with it, having the lathe shaft 1 inch higher does not make
it a better lathe I'm afraid, I would not recommend the harbor freight
lathe with the reeves drive MO
I own also a small lathe, almost carbon copy of a Jet mini, the Delta
midi, and I would NOT trade that for the Harbor freight lathe.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

P.I._Maine wrote:
I've been considering purchasing either the Jet 1014VS mini lathe
($329.99 shipped through Amazon)
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=136-907 or Harbor
Freight's 12" x 33 3/8" lathe ($341.98
shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though as
a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if the extra
capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's mini lathe is
a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's quality. (If you own
the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This maybe a "no brainer" for
some but I sure could use a little help deciding. Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

P.I._Maine wrote:

I've*been*considering*purchasing*either*the*Jet*10 14VS*mini*lathe

Another alternative to the Jet would be the Rikon mini-lathe. It has a 12"
swing where the Jet has 10", and the bed is a few inches longer IIRC.

But you can get a Jet with electronic variable speed control where the Rikon,
and the cheaper Jet, are belt changers.

IOW, what's worth more to you - a speed dial or 2" extra swing?

I'd be cautious about the HF lathe. Occasionally they make a good product, or
at least one with some good ones mixed in with the bad, but I'd be afraid of
getting one of the bad ones. Quality control seems to be a rather low
priority.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi William, thanks for your suggestion. Resale value is a good point on
buying the mini, I'll chalk another one up toward the purchase of the Jet
mini. I've made it a point to buy quality tools in the past and may let the
Jet name brand make the decision for me, although I've been seeing some
pretty good reviews on this particular HF lathe... Decisions,
decisions... Jeff

news

P.I._Maine wrote:
[...]

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Dan, Thanks for replying, it's good to know you've got some first hand
knowledge about this lathe. If the HF lathe is decent meaning there aren't
any major quality control issues with it then it seems like this lathe would
be the wiser choice of the two because it has the larger capacity meaning I
probably won't outgrow it anytime soon. I don't see myself turning extra
large blanks in the future and think this might be the lathe to get (unless
someone else chimes in and tells me the HF is junk and the Jet is on sale
for less than $329.99 including shipping ;') Jeff

et...

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
I've been considering purchasing either the Jet 1014VS mini lathe
($329.99 shipped through Amazon)
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=136-907 or Harbor
Freight's 12" x 33 3/8" lathe ($341.98
shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though
as a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if the
extra capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's mini
lathe is a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's quality.
(If you own the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This maybe a
"no brainer" for some but I sure could use a little help deciding. Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

an idea might be to find someone that has the HF and give it a test
drive otherwise be prepared to return it.

If nothing else you should connect with some turners near you to learn from.

also check for yahoo groups and msn groups for wood turning

P.I._Maine wrote:

[...]

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"P.I._Maine" wrote in
:

"P.I._Maine" wrote:

Harbor Freights link to the lathe I'm considering is
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3470
6 Thanks

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Jeff,
Where are you in Northern Maine. I get up there a bit around the the
Sunday River/Sugarloaf areas.
Hank
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The Jet is a great little lathe, when you later decide you need a
larger lathe you will likely want to keep the Jet. Few would want to
keep the HF tool.

You could pick it up at Rocklers Portland store 279.00

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:48:00 GMT, "P.I._Maine"
wrote:

I've been considering purchasing either the Jet 1014VS mini lathe
($329.99 shipped through Amazon)
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=136-907 or Harbor
Freight's 12" x 33 3/8" lathe ($341.98
shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though as
a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if the extra
capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's mini lathe is
a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's quality. (If you own
the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This maybe a "no brainer" for
some but I sure could use a little help deciding. Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Larry Blanchard wrote in
:

P.I._Maine wrote:

I've*been*considering*purchasing*either*the*Jet*10 14VS*

mini*lathe

Another alternative to the Jet would be the Rikon mini-lathe. It has
a 12" swing where the Jet has 10", and the bed is a few inches longer
IIRC.

But you can get a Jet with electronic variable speed control where the
Rikon, and the cheaper Jet, are belt changers.

IOW, what's worth more to you - a speed dial or 2" extra swing?

I'd be cautious about the HF lathe. Occasionally they make a good
product, or at least one with some good ones mixed in with the bad,
but I'd be afraid of getting one of the bad ones. Quality control
seems to be a rather low priority.

Mr. B,
The electronic variable speed control on the Jet mini is dependant on belt
range changes. There are three pully diameters. Within each diameter the
speeds can be controlled. I have a Jet mini VS and love it. There is no
doubt in my mind that the Rikon mini wouldn't be a great lathe. Turning
green 5-7 inch stock near ten inch diameter, puts the jet near/at its
limits. I don't know if the Rikon mini could handle the same any better. In
any case, either would be a good choice.
Regards,
Hank
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

I've been considering purchasing either the Jet 1014VS mini lathe
($329.99 shipped through Amazon)
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=136-907 or Harbor
Freight's 12" x 33 3/8" lathe ($341.98
shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though as
a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if the extra
capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's mini lathe is
a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's quality. (If you own
the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This maybe a "no brainer" for
some but I sure could use a little help deciding. Jeff

I've got a Delta Midi (almost the same as the Jet) While I don't use
it much anymore, it is a great little lathe. My big lathe (also a
Delta) is about the same capacity as the HF model you posted the link
to, with a longer bed, and that cost me $675 as a 20+ year old piece
of equipment. Even with the high level of quality in the tool and
signifigantly more weight (it's about 400 lbs, plus an additional
plywood riser bolted to the bottom, plus another 125 lbs of lead
weights near the base) it still can shimmy around the room pretty well
when loaded with unbalanced blanks. So a guy has to wonder- for a
price tag lower than a mini lathe, do you really want to find out
where they saved all that money on the HF lathe when you decide to
turn something near the machine's capacity, or stick with one that is
known to be pretty good? I'd be awfully worried about a cheap
headstock spindle giving out, a poorly cast tailstock breaking or a
bearing failing when turning a 33" spindle- it's not annoying, it's
dangerous.

FWIW, you can get the Jet Mini (or Delta Midi) to start out with, and
then get a bed extension later that will turn it into a machine that
is almost as large as the HF. Extensions run about $70 each.

All things considered, I'd go with the Jet.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Hank, driving north from that region we're probably another 225 miles
north.

"Henry St.Pierre" wrote in message
. 97.142...
"P.I._Maine" wrote in
:

"P.I._Maine" wrote:

Harbor Freights link to the lathe I'm considering is
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3470
6 Thanks

that lathe is currently on sale (store only) for $199.99. If you get
on their e-mail list they send out 20% off coupons every so often.
$180 for that lathe would be a bargain.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I actually gave them a call to find out what their variable speed mini would
cost he gave me a price of $379.99. Apparently it was on sale with a midi
chuck included for $299.99 but when I called a day after receiving their
flyer through email they were "sold out". I'll be down there for the
WoodWorks woodworking show in Portland toward the end of the month. I'll
stop and check them out to see what they have going for sales then. Thanks

news

wrote:

I've been considering purchasing either the Jet 1014VS mini lathe
($329.99 shipped through Amazon)
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=136-907 or Harbor
Freight's 12" x 33 3/8" lathe ($341.98
shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though
as
a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if the
extra
capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's mini lathe
is
a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's quality. (If you own
the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This maybe a "no brainer"
for
some but I sure could use a little help deciding. Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Walt & Jenne Ahlgrim writes:

The Jet is a great little lathe, when you later decide you need a
larger lathe you will likely want to keep the Jet. Few would want to
keep the HF tool.

You could pick it up at Rocklers Portland store 279.00

Another thing - how do you plan on getting support if something fails.
I think the standard Jet warranty is one year.

You can buy a 3-year warranty at Harbor Freight. However, if a part
breaks, you just call up Jet, and they mail you the part. For HF, you
have to bring the tool to the store (so the store owner told me).
In your case this would be a b*tch.

I'm not sure if HF will let you call up and ask for a broken part.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

FWIW I have the Jet 1014 without the variable speed. Couldn't get convinced
of the longevity of the rig when using it with heavier bowl blanks. Probably
if primarily doing pens and such I'd want the variable.

But I have variable speed and even reversing on my Powermatic 3520B and
wouldn't consider anything else.

The purpose of the 1014 was to be 120volt, portable, and a training lathe
for others. Guess I simply trusted Jet more than Harbor Freight.

TomNie

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
I've been considering purchasing either the Jet 1014VS mini lathe
($329.99 shipped through Amazon)
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=136-907 or Harbor
Freight's 12" x 33 3/8" lathe ($341.98
shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though
as a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if the
extra capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's mini
lathe is a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's quality.
(If you own the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This maybe a
"no brainer" for some but I sure could use a little help deciding. Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:47:09 GMT, "P.I._Maine"
wrote:

Good point Darrell and an eye opener, I'm hoping someone with first hand
experience can sway my decision that maybe the HF lathe is indeed a good
lathe and beefy enough to handle larger stuff than what the Jet lathe would.
I wouldn't want to get the Jet mini and feel like I need to buy a larger one
down the road. Thanks for your input, Jeff

A couple of points, PI...

I love my Jet mini and my brother was really unhappy with his HF lathe...

The Jet is a known, quality lathe that's easy to work on and get parts for, and
a very quiet, unintimidating machine to learn on... I learned on a Shopsmith and
just the ROAR was scary.. *g*

As to outgrowing the mini, a lot of us here have... but very few were willing to
part with their mini when they upgraded.. I know that I wouldn't give mine up!

Another advantage with the Jet is when you do move to a larger lathe, the
accessories that you have added (which will be several times the price of the
mini) will usually fit the larger lathe..

When I got my 14" Jet lathe, my lathe chucks, pen mandrels, etc. all fit the new
lathe.. no new stuff to buy..

My mini only gets used for turning now when a friend comes over or I have
something on the "big" lathe that I'm in the middle of and a quick project is on
the schedule, but it gets a lot of use... the Beall buffing system is usually on
it to free up the main lathe, and I use it to drill pen blanks, do bowl bottoms
with the vacuum chuck, etc...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks to all that have replied to this post!! You've most definately
answered my question and I'll be buying the Jet mini as soon as the price is
right. $329.99 shipped through Amazon is a great price compared to other
places I've checked for the mini vs. Problem is I passed up this lathe when
it was priced at right around $280 (though my brain is telling me BUY BUY
BUY) so I may hold off and check it out at the woodworking show we've got
coming up in Portland, Maine at the end of the month.
(http://www.woodworksevents.com/) Many Thanks! Jeff

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
I've been considering purchasing either the Jet 1014VS mini lathe
($329.99 shipped through Amazon)
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=136-907 or Harbor
Freight's 12" x 33 3/8" lathe ($341.98
shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though
as a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if the
extra capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's mini
lathe is a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's quality.
(If you own the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This maybe a
"no brainer" for some but I sure could use a little help deciding. Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Jet now is issuing a 5yr warranty on all the mini lathes. I don't know
about the larger ones. I just recently purchased my 1014vs and it has a
5yr. Check the box your buying as its a recent change.

Troy

Bruce Barnett wrote:
Walt & Jenne Ahlgrim writes:

The Jet is a great little lathe, when you later decide you need a
larger lathe you will likely want to keep the Jet. Few would want to
keep the HF tool.

You could pick it up at Rocklers Portland store 279.00

Another thing - how do you plan on getting support if something fails.
I think the standard Jet warranty is one year.

You can buy a 3-year warranty at Harbor Freight. However, if a part
breaks, you just call up Jet, and they mail you the part. For HF, you
have to bring the tool to the store (so the store owner told me).
In your case this would be a b*tch.

I'm not sure if HF will let you call up and ask for a broken part.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Jeff,

Go ahead and get it thru Amazon now.

I researched the market thoroughly and word has it that Jet has just passed
along a sizable price increase and I doubt we will see it any lower. I
received mine from Amazon yesterday and I'm extremely happy with the
purchase.

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
I've been considering purchasing either the Jet 1014VS mini lathe
($329.99 shipped through Amazon)
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=136-907 or Harbor
Freight's 12" x 33 3/8" lathe ($341.98
shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though
as a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if the
extra capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's mini
lathe is a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's quality.
(If you own the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This maybe a
"no brainer" for some but I sure could use a little help deciding. Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hey good news, price on the Jet mini vs lathe just dropped! It went down a
whopping $5 so what else could a thrifty man do? I ordered it tonight,
should be in sometime before Christmas... (I hope) ;') Purchase price with
free shipping was $324.99.

. ..

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
I've been considering purchasing either the Jet 1014VS mini lathe
($329.99 shipped through Amazon)
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=136-907 or Harbor
Freight's 12" x 33 3/8" lathe ($341.98
shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though
as a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if
the extra capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's
mini lathe is a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's
quality. (If you own the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This
maybe a "no brainer" for some but I sure could use a little help
deciding. Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 17:22:32 GMT, "P.I._Maine"
wrote:

Thanks to all that have replied to this post!! You've most definately
answered my question and I'll be buying the Jet mini as soon as the price is
right. $329.99 shipped through Amazon is a great price compared to other
places I've checked for the mini vs. Problem is I passed up this lathe when
it was priced at right around $280 (though my brain is telling me BUY BUY
BUY) so I may hold off and check it out at the woodworking show we've got
coming up in Portland, Maine at the end of the month.
(http://www.woodworksevents.com/) Many Thanks! Jeff

Good choice-

Another thing to look into is floor models. If you've got a little
time, it can really pay to make several visits to your favorite local
tool store, and watch for their floor models going up for sale-
especially near the Christmas shopping season, when it might be the
last one in stock. I've gotten a lot of good deals that way,
including my Delta Midi lathe- $260, marked down from $380. It was
missing a live center for the tailstock, which I talked them into
replacing with the one from a larger Delta at the store, and had one
broken handle- which got me a $20 off, and Delta mailed me two
replacements, and an extra tool rest (not sure why, but I didn't
complain) as soon as I got home and called them. Not everyone can get
one, of course, but if you keep looking, they seem to be availible
fairly regularly. Don't forget to haggle a bit- the price tag on
things in the box may be set, but those display prices are set by an
employee's best guess, and if there's anything substandard going on-
even just loose bolts or fingerprints, they'll knock more off the
price to make room for new stuff.

I'm sure Jet has a similar policy re broken parts on floor models.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:04:18 -0500, Prometheus wrote:

[...]

When I bought my Jet 1442 vs at the local saw shop, I asked them to match the
Amazon price... they agreed if I'd take the floor model..

The floor model had a full warranty starting at purchase date and the stand and
everything were already assembled... it was good to go..

I was looking in the manual about a month later and noticed that it was supposed
to come with a tool rest extension... called the dealer and got a new one from
Jet in about 3 weeks...
The new piece was missing the lock handle but I said that it was ok, I didn't
really need it... got a new one from Jet a month later and they sent the wrong
one, it was a different size... no big deal, I don't use the extension anyway...
At our turning meeting a few months later the guy asked me if I got the part and
I told him what they sent but that it was ok..
Yeah, he had Jet send the right part..

I'm happy with my floor model and very happy with Jet and my local store...

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:10:40 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

[...]

That's been my experience, certainly. Going a little OT, it's true of
a lot of things, not just tools. If you're willing to stay somewhere
between 6 mos and 3 years behind the "latest and greatest" curve, it's
amazing how cheap buying top-shelf items gets. Most of all with
electronics. They just can't wait to give away yesterday's innovation
for pennies on the dollar anymore.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

[...]

We have a Circuit City store near us and I check their "outlet" page a couple of
times a month..
"outlet" is CC is code for "didn't sell well" and they have a lot of great deals
on things that they might only have a few of left in stock..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:49:52 +0000, P.I._Maine wrote:

Harbor Freights link to the lathe I'm considering is
Thanks

I have that lathe. In fact, I have two of them. Be certain you buy their
warranty ... it's reasonably certain that you'll need it.

On the first one the spline gear for the Reeves drive stripped. On the
second, the spline gear is smoother than it ever was on the first, but the
motor burned out.

So, to get orders out the door, I took the motor from one for the other.

The lathe is not 'flimsy' ... those are cast iron bedways ... although if
you are going to deliberately mount a thick section off-center and then
flip the switch let me know so I can go get my camera.

600 rpm is too much for a large log mounted off-center, but if you are
going to take the reasonable precautions of making certain to mount work
solidly and to center the weight reasonably close and to stand to one side
when flipping the switch ("the best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft
agley" ... or something like that), you should get a lot of good use from
this machine while you are trying to decide to get a Stubby for bowls, a
Oneway for honking big spindles, or "the whole enchilada" from somewhere
else.

If all you want it for is to do spindle work to accent your flat work ...
catch it on sale and enjoy. I, personally, think it a good leaqrning
/ intermittantb use lathe. Also, get their 8 pc set of lathe tools ...
don't know who really makes them, but I've only added two tools in almost
two years and haven't replaced any of the original set.

I use mine primarily for pens, bowls, canes and trinket turnings. It's
more than good enough for this. If I had to turn a mix of bowls and
spindles for production I'd spend another $5,000+ and get a Oneway 2436
with the extension bed.

But I don't, so I won't.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello P.I._Maine

My wife bought me a JET Mini for christmas and I haven't stopped
turning yet. The only problem I have is changing the speed, because
you have to stop the lathe and change the belt. I had never done ANY
woodworking so the mini was perfect. I even took a pen turning class
at Woodcraft.

William makes a good point though about the tools and attachments. The
class I took included a 'pen turners kit' of chisels, which is fine for
small spindle work but there are only so many snowman pens you can make
before you get sick of them. Needless to say, my christmas list this
year includes chisels, chucks, finishes, etc.

The JET mini has been a great introduction to woodturning and I will
definately keep this lathe until I am physically unable to turn wood
anymore. Unless you want to turn something bigger than 20" diameter,
the JET mini should be a good starting point.

- Ed

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Ed & William, looking forward to receiving the mini. Keeping an eye out
for the DHL driver as I type. They're supposed to be delivering today which
would be great because I won't be here tonight or tomorrow and I'd hate to
have it sitting out in the rain overnight (or for any length of time for
that matter) Now I've just got to build a nice sturdy base for it to sit on
and I'll be good to go... Jeff

"william kossack" wrote in message
. ..
I know I wish I had a mini but I'm between jobs right now. I've seen them
for sale on craigs list once and a while.

At times I don't feel like dragging my nova dvr out onto the shady
driveway and I wish I had something smaller that I could set up on the
back patio on warm sunny winter days.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Good news, just got it in! I took it out of the box read the instructions
and put it to the test. Works great no problems as of yet and the spur
center and live center line up. I tested out my eight piece chisel set from
Harbor Freight and they seemed to work great out of the box though I'll be
touching them up pretty soon to get them a bit sharper. Jeff

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

P.I._Maine said:

Good news, just got it in! I took it out of the box read the instructions
and put it to the test. Works great no problems as of yet and the spur
center and live center line up. I tested out my eight piece chisel set from
Harbor Freight and they seemed to work great out of the box though I'll be
touching them up pretty soon to get them a bit sharper. Jeff

Great, Jeff! You're in trouble now... Consider your new lathe the big
leap over the precipice which leads to total and complete exhaustion
of all available funds. Just kidding... :-o

I got started almost exactly the same way two years ago.
Although I subsequently obtained a slightly bigger lathe, I still have
the Jet mini and am reluctant to part with it. It is quiet, smooth,
fairly trouble free, and with a sturdy base, will turn large items.
The only caveat is that with the non-VS model, the slowest speed is
500 RPM, which is a little fast for a 9" out-of-balance green blank.
Also, keep the motor vents cleared of wood shavings/dust.

I still use the Harbor Freight tool set as well. Some of them have
been reground with totally new profiles, but they hold up OK.
My favorite is a round edged bowl scraper made from the big skew.

You will eventually want to consider a few other tools, in addition to
the HF set, if you plan to turn projects other than pens/spindles. A
bowl gouge - 1/2" or so - is needed, and you might consider making or
buying an Oland tool as well, it is very handy. I found a thin 1/16"
firmager parting tool pretty useful as well. A cheap curved cabinet
scraper set and a burnisher can be had for less than $20. The
burnisher can be used to roll a cutting bur onto both standard lathe
scrapers and the cabinet scrapers - useful for that
tough-to-cut-cleanly endgrain and for fairing curves.

Consider carefully your needs as far as purchasing other cutting
tools, as it is easy to be persuaded of a one-trick-pony tool's
virtues when something on hand will often work with the proper
technique. And at $30-$100+ each, it adds up fast... You can often
make your own tools when the need arises if you have the ability and
tools to work with metal.

Speaking of adding up fast, you will probably want to get a chuck for
turning bowls and vessels. The Oneway Talon and the SuperNova2 are
both popular and will fit your lathe.

Yes, you have stepped down the slippery slope...

This is the stand I chose to build. Many have their own favorite, but
I chose to build this because it is heavy, knocks down, has a wide
stance, and yet I can lean over the bed on either side for hollowing.

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...theStand01.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...theStand02.jpg

This is the last thing I made on the Jet - 9" diameter.
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...quatPot02l.jpg

Check the web for videos which will demonstrate various tool
techniques, and/or join classes or a local woodturning club.

Remember that spinning wood can become a flying missile, so try and
stay clear of the line of throw, especially when first rounding out an
out-of-balance blank. Always make sure your work is secure, and check
occasionally. A face shield is recommended.

Good Luck and Be Careful.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Greg wrote in
:

P.I._Maine said:

[...]

Greg,
The first stand I built for my Jet mini was very much like yours (almost
identical, but not finished as nicely). Needing a bit of storage for
turning tools, chucks, various jigs and measuring devices, I built a
lathe stand with drawers etc. that more resembles the workbench in the
background of your second picture. This one is finished pretty well. The
first stand is waiting for a Nova 3K, or if the ship comes in, a DVR.
I have the vs version of the mini. Low speed is the same as the non-vs
version. Nine and three quarter inch unbalanced blanks do keep you alert.
I recommend the HF turning set and/or the 'Benjamins Best' six piece set
from PSI. Great for sharpening practice and for grinding into custom
shapes and pretty good tools for turning in general.
Funny that I tripped over the first stand today. Is it trying to tell me
something? Do I hear foghorns in the distance?
Hank