Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Henry St.Pierre Henry St.Pierre is offline

Default Lathe Purchase

Larry Blanchard wrote in
:

P.I._Maine wrote:

I've*been*considering*purchasing*either*the*Jet*10 14VS*

mini*lathe

Another alternative to the Jet would be the Rikon mini-lathe. It has
a 12" swing where the Jet has 10", and the bed is a few inches longer
IIRC.

But you can get a Jet with electronic variable speed control where the
Rikon, and the cheaper Jet, are belt changers.

IOW, what's worth more to you - a speed dial or 2" extra swing?

I'd be cautious about the HF lathe. Occasionally they make a good
product, or at least one with some good ones mixed in with the bad,
but I'd be afraid of getting one of the bad ones. Quality control
seems to be a rather low priority.

Mr. B,
The electronic variable speed control on the Jet mini is dependant on belt
range changes. There are three pully diameters. Within each diameter the
speeds can be controlled. I have a Jet mini VS and love it. There is no
doubt in my mind that the Rikon mini wouldn't be a great lathe. Turning
green 5-7 inch stock near ten inch diameter, puts the jet near/at its
limits. I don't know if the Rikon mini could handle the same any better. In
any case, either would be a good choice.
Regards,
Hank