Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
P.I._Maine P.I._Maine is offline

Default Lathe Purchase

Good news, just got it in! I took it out of the box read the instructions
and put it to the test. Works great no problems as of yet and the spur
center and live center line up. I tested out my eight piece chisel set from
Harbor Freight and they seemed to work great out of the box though I'll be
touching them up pretty soon to get them a bit sharper. Jeff

"william kossack" wrote in message
. ..
did you get a tracking number? it can be fun watching your package travel
across the country

P.I._Maine wrote:
Hi Ed & William, looking forward to receiving the mini. Keeping an eye
out for the DHL driver as I type. They're supposed to be delivering
today which would be great because I won't be here tonight or tomorrow
and I'd hate to have it sitting out in the rain overnight (or for any
length of time for that matter) Now I've just got to build a nice sturdy
base for it to sit on and I'll be good to go... Jeff

"william kossack" wrote in message
. ..

I know I wish I had a mini but I'm between jobs right now. I've seen
them for sale on craigs list once and a while.

At times I don't feel like dragging my nova dvr out onto the shady
driveway and I wish I had something smaller that I could set up on the
back patio on warm sunny winter days.

wrote:

Hello P.I._Maine

My wife bought me a JET Mini for christmas and I haven't stopped
turning yet. The only problem I have is changing the speed, because
you have to stop the lathe and change the belt. I had never done ANY
woodworking so the mini was perfect. I even took a pen turning class
at Woodcraft.

William makes a good point though about the tools and attachments. The
class I took included a 'pen turners kit' of chisels, which is fine for
small spindle work but there are only so many snowman pens you can make
before you get sick of them. Needless to say, my christmas list this
year includes chisels, chucks, finishes, etc.

The JET mini has been a great introduction to woodturning and I will
definately keep this lathe until I am physically unable to turn wood
anymore. Unless you want to turn something bigger than 20" diameter,
the JET mini should be a good starting point.

- Ed