Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
P.I._Maine P.I._Maine is offline

Default Lathe Purchase

I actually gave them a call to find out what their variable speed mini would
cost he gave me a price of $379.99. Apparently it was on sale with a midi
chuck included for $299.99 but when I called a day after receiving their
flyer through email they were "sold out". I'll be down there for the
WoodWorks woodworking show in Portland toward the end of the month. I'll
stop and check them out to see what they have going for sales then. Thanks

"Walt & Jenne Ahlgrim" wrote in message
news
The Jet is a great little lathe, when you later decide you need a
larger lathe you will likely want to keep the Jet. Few would want to
keep the HF tool.

You could pick it up at Rocklers Portland store 279.00

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:48:00 GMT, "P.I._Maine"
wrote:

I've been considering purchasing either the Jet 1014VS mini lathe
($329.99 shipped through Amazon)
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=136-907 or Harbor
Freight's 12" x 33 3/8" lathe ($341.98
shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though
as
a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if the
extra
capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's mini lathe
is
a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's quality. (If you own
the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This maybe a "no brainer"
for
some but I sure could use a little help deciding. Jeff