Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bob N Bob N is offline

Default Lathe Purchase

Jeff,

Go ahead and get it thru Amazon now.

I researched the market thoroughly and word has it that Jet has just passed
along a sizable price increase and I doubt we will see it any lower. I
received mine from Amazon yesterday and I'm extremely happy with the
purchase.

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
Thanks to all that have replied to this post!! You've most definately
answered my question and I'll be buying the Jet mini as soon as the price
is right. $329.99 shipped through Amazon is a great price compared to
other places I've checked for the mini vs. Problem is I passed up this
lathe when it was priced at right around $280 (though my brain is telling
me BUY BUY BUY) so I may hold off and check it out at the woodworking show
we've got coming up in Portland, Maine at the end of the month.
(http://www.woodworksevents.com/) Many Thanks! Jeff

"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
I've been considering purchasing either the Jet 1014VS mini lathe
($329.99 shipped through Amazon)
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=136-907 or Harbor
Freight's 12" x 33 3/8" lathe ($341.98
shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though
as a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if the
extra capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's mini
lathe is a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's quality.
(If you own the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This maybe a
"no brainer" for some but I sure could use a little help deciding. Jeff