Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Lathe Purchase

Most people that own a little Jet seem to be pleased with it, owners
off the harbor freight lathe on the other hand seem to have all kinds
of problems with it, having the lathe shaft 1 inch higher does not make
it a better lathe I'm afraid, I would not recommend the harbor freight
lathe with the reeves drive MO
I own also a small lathe, almost carbon copy of a Jet mini, the Delta
midi, and I would NOT trade that for the Harbor freight lathe.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

P.I._Maine wrote:
I've been considering purchasing either the Jet 1014VS mini lathe
($329.99 shipped through Amazon)
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=136-907 or Harbor
Freight's 12" x 33 3/8" lathe ($341.98
shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though as
a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if the extra
capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's mini lathe is
a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's quality. (If you own
the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This maybe a "no brainer" for
some but I sure could use a little help deciding. Jeff