Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
P.I._Maine P.I._Maine is offline

Default Lathe Purchase

Good point Darrell and an eye opener, I'm hoping someone with first hand
experience can sway my decision that maybe the HF lathe is indeed a good
lathe and beefy enough to handle larger stuff than what the Jet lathe would.
I wouldn't want to get the Jet mini and feel like I need to buy a larger one
down the road. Thanks for your input, Jeff

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
P.I.
I own neither lathe but I would question turning a bowl larger than 12" on
lthe that turns 600 rpm at its slowest speed with a frame that looks
pretty
light from the Harbor Freight picture. Too many of today's lathes have a
pivoting headstock for sales purposes but have neither the beef not the
slow
speed to turn a large piece of out of balance wood.
Just something to think about.
(I have turned an 18" bowl on my light Record bowl lathe with a slow speed
of 575 rpm but it is bolted to the floor and the procedure was a bit of an
adrenalin boost. :-) )
--
______
God bless and safe turning
"P.I._Maine" wrote in message
I've been considering purchasing either the Jet 1014VS mini lathe
($329.99 shipped through Amazon)
http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=136-907 or Harbor
Freight's 12" x 33 3/8" lathe ($341.98

shipped)http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=347
06
I'd be able to work on slightly larger projects with the HF lathe though

as
a complete newbie to woodturning (not woodworking) I'm not sure if the

extra
capacity is needed and can appreciate the fact that the Jet's mini lathe

is
a well made machine and am not so sure about the HF's quality. (If you
own
the 34706 and like it or don't let me know!) This maybe a "no brainer"

for
some but I sure could use a little help deciding. Jeff