Kooky45

Default SDS drill for general DIY?

I want an SDS drill for some work on brick and concrete, but I want
one that'll be very good for general DIY as well. I'm considering one
from the Metabo range as they have a very good quick change mechanism
for swapping the SDS chuck with a conventional one (better than Makita
I believe). I first thought I'd get a BHE24 drill but I know they
don't have a rotation lock and chiseling might be useful in the future
- wish I had one when I was hacking off tiles last year. I then
thought I'd get a KHE24 though they're more expensive (rotation and
percussion locks, but only one gear), and then I noticed the UHE range
are good for screw driving as well with their two speed gear box, but
they're the most expensive of all. I'm also concerned that all of
these SDS drills might not be good on wood with the percussion stop as
I've seen they have lower rotation speeds than normal hammer drills.

Can anyone with SDS experience for general DIY work tell advise me on
which one to buy please?

Many thanks,

Ken
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Kooky45 wrote:
I'm also concerned that all of
these SDS drills might not be good on wood with the percussion stop as
I've seen they have lower rotation speeds than normal hammer drills.

Can anyone with SDS experience for general DIY work tell advise me on
which one to buy please?

All in one tools are rarely a good idea as they always involve compromise.

Why not just get the SDS of your choice and a basic non hammer mains drill
for everything else - they're cheap as chips.

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Ian Stirling

Kooky45 wrote:
I want an SDS drill for some work on brick and concrete, but I want
one that'll be very good for general DIY as well. I'm considering one

In general, a SDS drill will be much heavier than a conventional hammer
drill.
This can make it awkward for some tasks.
Ed Rear

"Kooky45" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Can't give you any advice on which model, but mine is very heavy, and I
wouldn't want to use it for general work. It's only a cheap one but I
believe they are all quite heavy. Worth thinking about.
Ed

Set Square

Kooky45 wrote:

[...]

Rather than spending a lot of money on *one* drill which does a lot of
things (some badly!), I would recommend buying *three* drills - but spending
far less on each. Get a cheapish SDS drill - but with rotation and
persussion locks - and use it just for drilling brick/concrete and
chiselling. Get a 2-speed conventional (mains) drill for general wood and
metal drilling. [It will probably come with hammer action - but ignore
that!]. Finally, get a rechargeable drill for light drilling and
screwdriving. That way, you will always have the best tool for each
particular job - without endless chuck and bit changing.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

G&M

Kooky45 wrote:
I want an SDS drill for some work on brick and concrete, but I want
one that'll be very good for general DIY as well.

The DeWalt 566 is quite light and very well balanced. I use it one-handed
all the time almost as one would a battery powered drill.

Highly recommended providing you don't do a Grunff on it :-)

There is also a quite small Bosch (can't remember the number but B&Q have
it).

mike ring

"Set Square" wrote in
:

Rather than spending a lot of money on *one* drill which does a lot of
things (some badly!), I would recommend buying *three* drills - but
spending far less on each. Get a cheapish SDS drill - but with
rotation and persussion locks - and use it just for drilling
brick/concrete and chiselling. Get a 2-speed conventional (mains)
drill for general wood and metal drilling. [It will probably come with
hammer action - but ignore that!]. Finally, get a rechargeable drill
for light drilling and screwdriving. That way, you will always have
the best tool for each particular job - without endless chuck and bit
changing.

I think that's pretty good advice - I've got a cheapish old SDS which does
me, but I can't imagine how I would use it with a convebntional chuck and a
smallish bit.

I'd be interested to know if anyone who has a replacement chuck woould use
in with a 2-3mm HS bit, or to drill a pilot for a #8 woodscrew

mike
Alex

"Kooky45" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I don't think 'Metabo' 'better than' and 'Makita' are 3 things you'll hear
together very often!!

Alex

G&M

"Kooky45" wrote in message
om...
I want an SDS drill for some work on brick and concrete, but I want
one that'll be very good for general DIY as well. I'm considering one
from the Metabo range as they have a very good quick change mechanism
for swapping the SDS chuck with a conventional one (better than Makita
I believe).

Best chuck swap I've seen is the Bosch PBH240. Excellent drill as well but
Bosch servicing is (choose 4 letter word) so when it died again I gave up
and got a DeWalt.

RichardS

"Alex" wrote in message
"Kooky45" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Why's that then? (just interested)

The only Metabo product I've had frequent operational experience of is my
SXE450Duo sander, and that's the dogs nuts. The other stuff that I have
picked up and handled struck me as similarly well made.

Metabo stuff's pricey though. Interesting to see their mains drills have
now got a remote control device to activate them (you stick it on your
keyring and every time you plug the drill in you need to "unlock" the
drill...). Handy for site "shrinkage".

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Lurch

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:25:16 +0000 (UTC), mike ring
strung together this:

I think that's pretty good advice - I've got a cheapish old SDS which does
me, but I can't imagine how I would use it with a convebntional chuck and a
smallish bit.

With a SDS to conventional 3 jaw chuck adapter.

I'd be interested to know if anyone who has a replacement chuck woould use
in with a 2-3mm HS bit, or to drill a pilot for a #8 woodscrew

Eh? Replace what chuck with what?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Lurch

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:01:07 +0100, "Alex"
strung together this:

I don't think 'Metabo' 'better than' and 'Makita' are 3 things you'll hear
together very often!!

Depends in which order!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Grunff

G&M wrote:

The DeWalt 566 is quite light and very well balanced. I use it one-handed
all the time almost as one would a battery powered drill.

Highly recommended providing you don't do a Grunff on it :-)

It's funny, since buying my Makita 18V combi, I've only used my Bosch
mains hammer drill once - and that was for mixing tile adhesive. It's
always either the DeWalt for drilling holes in walls/chiseling etc, or
the Makita for everything else.

--
Grunff
Alex

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:01:07 +0100, "Alex"
strung together this:

I don't think 'Metabo' 'better than' and 'Makita' are 3 things you'll

hear
together very often!!

Depends in which order!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

Oh dear oh dear, I have made a 'whoopsy' yet again. At this late hour I had,
for some unbeknown reason, related Metabo to those typically cheep but
cheerful tools. Desperately trying to think of where I had used Metabo stuff
recently, I entered it into google. As I was greeted by 'Metabo and Electra
Bekum worldwide' my heart began to sink!

I think now would be a time to tactfully withdraw my previous comment

Alex

Lurch

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:48:01 +0100, "Alex"
strung together this:

Oh dear oh dear, I have made a 'whoopsy' yet again.

That explains it, I did wonder which tool you were referring to as
inferior as I would be happy to use either make.

I think now would be a time to tactfully withdraw my previous comment

Good idea!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

John Rumm

Ed Rear wrote:

Can't give you any advice on which model, but mine is very heavy, and I
wouldn't want to use it for general work. It's only a cheap one but I
believe they are all quite heavy. Worth thinking about.

Many of the cheaper "shed specials" are in the 4 kg+ weight range. The
better made beasties (Bosch, Makita, DeWalt etc) are typically a approx
2 kg... A case of not getting what you pay for ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Kooky45 wrote:

from the Metabo range as they have a very good quick change mechanism
for swapping the SDS chuck with a conventional one (better than Makita
I believe). I first thought I'd get a BHE24 drill but I know they

Not sure I follow that... there is no such thing as an SDS chuck as such
- SDS bits just plug straight into the end of the drill. A
conventional chuck for a SDS drill is to all intents and purposes just a
special SDS bit that plugs in like any other.

don't have a rotation lock and chiseling might be useful in the future
- wish I had one when I was hacking off tiles last year. I then

Chisel is very handy!

thought I'd get a KHE24 though they're more expensive (rotation and
percussion locks, but only one gear), and then I noticed the UHE range
are good for screw driving as well with their two speed gear box, but

I have used my Makita SDS for screwdriving. It has the power and low
speed torque, but the main problem is actually the length - by the time
you have a conventional chuck in there with a hex bit holder the end of
the drill is a long way away. Hence less natural to use for this task.

they're the most expensive of all. I'm also concerned that all of
these SDS drills might not be good on wood with the percussion stop as
I've seen they have lower rotation speeds than normal hammer drills.

They will work - but slower! ;-) They do work very well with big auger
bits.

Can anyone with SDS experience for general DIY work tell advise me on
which one to buy please?

Something about 2kg with roto and hammer stop.

--
Cheers,

John.

Kooky45

John Rumm wrote in message ...

Not sure I follow that... there is no such thing as an SDS chuck as such
- SDS bits just plug straight into the end of the drill. A
conventional chuck for a SDS drill is to all intents and purposes just a
special SDS bit that plugs in like any other.

Chisel is very handy!

I have used my Makita SDS for screwdriving. It has the power and low
speed torque, but the main problem is actually the length - by the time
you have a conventional chuck in there with a hex bit holder the end of
the drill is a long way away. Hence less natural to use for this task.

Something about 2kg with roto and hammer stop.

What you're recommending then points me at most expensive UHE24 which
is around 2Kg, has roto and hammer stop, and two gears for either high
torque driving or high speed drilling. Your point about the chuck and
the extra length doesn't apply to the Metabo as you replace the
existing SDS bit holder (chuck?) with a conventional chuck so the
length and weight stays the same.

No-one has commented on drill bit speed for wood. I've already got a
12V Power Devil cordless drill which is fine for thin wood and
plasterboard but it's not very fast. I noticed the mains powered
drills have much higher speeds than either a cordless or SDS. Does
the high speed have any advantage for drilling or is torque more
important? Can you give me an example of wood drilling where the SDS
wasn't very good? I've a job on at the moment where I have to drill a
lot of 5mm holes all the way through 70mm timbers and my cordless
isn't up to the job.
RichardS

"Kooky45" wrote in message
om...
[...]

If I were in your position I probably wouldn;'t be considering the Metabo
for general purpose work purely because of the cost, and the fact that I
could get two very good quality branded drills for the same price.

Didnt' have prices for any of the xxx24 drills in the catalogues that I
have, but the UHE28 is close on £300, so I'm guessing that UHE24 may well be
£200.

Many in this group rate DeWalt's 566K drill very highly, and there is an
equivalent Makita 2450, both have chisel stop, both deliver similar energy
to the bit in hammer mode, and both around £115. I think you'd need to be
doing some pretty serious heavy duty work before stretching these drills
beyond their limits (or covering the air vents, Grunff!! :-) )

This would leave not far off £100 that you could spend on getting a damned
good 12V class cordless drill with a 2 speed gearbox. They have
considerably more guts than the cheapies - I have an Atlas Copco 9.6v
drill/driver and it has gone through joists without too much complaint using
an 18mm auger bit. You should get at least 2 batteries and a 60 minute
intelligent charger for drills in this price bracket.

That would mean that you don't need to worry unduly about the ease of
swapping to the conventional chuck, you'll probably only infrequently need
to do this. Don't bother with the normal chuck for masonry drilling - get
a set of SDS bits and you'll be using the drill to it's full potential.

I've never found the speed of my cordless to be a problem with drilling
wood, and with SDS I can't see maximum speed being a problem for masonry
either.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm not against Metabo, they produce some damned
fine kit IME. It's just that I think you can get two very good drills for
the same price (this is NOT the same argument as IMM's "you can get three
cheapies and take them back when they fail").

anyway, just IMHO...
--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Kooky45 wrote:
No-one has commented on drill bit speed for wood. I've already got a
12V Power Devil cordless drill which is fine for thin wood and
plasterboard but it's not very fast. I noticed the mains powered
drills have much higher speeds than either a cordless or SDS. Does
the high speed have any advantage for drilling or is torque more
important? Can you give me an example of wood drilling where the SDS
wasn't very good? I've a job on at the moment where I have to drill a
lot of 5mm holes all the way through 70mm timbers and my cordless
isn't up to the job.

High speed is perhaps useful, but not vital. Pretty well anything you'll
come across in the home can still be drilled at 1000 rpm or less - it'll
just take longer. But given that you can buy 2500 rpm mains drills for
about a tenner...

--
*Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Nick Brooks

Kooky45 wrote:
John Rumm wrote in message ...

[...]

DeWalt 566 SDS - £120 ish, will go through anything stone/brick and has
roto/hammer stop

Makita - 8443DWDE-3 18v Cordless £240 ish, will go through anything
wood, fantastic at driving screws

You'll never regret it

Nick Brooks
Christian McArdle

Rather than spending a lot of money on *one* drill which does a lot of
things (some badly!), I would recommend buying *three* drills - but

spending
far less on each.

Absolutely. I didn't have the budget of the OP, but I went for.

1. Cheap as chips SDS with chisel. (i.e. 30 quid)
2. Cheap as chips mains hammer drill. (i.e. 20 quid)
3. Good quality 12V battery drill. (i.e. 100 quid).

I frequently use all 3 drills at the same time. The SDS has the 7mm rawlplug
bit, the mains has a 4.5mm clearance bit and the battery has the screwdriver
bit. It saves endless bit swapping. Far better than using one drill and
swapping all the bits between and then forgetting that you've selected
hammer on the screwdriver and mashed the screw to pieces.

Ensure the battery drill has a rotor brake, reverse, touch sensitive
trigger, torque control and one handed keyless chuck. These features are all
essential.

Christian.

David

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:25:16 +0000 (UTC), mike ring
strung together this:

I think that's pretty good advice - I've got a cheapish old SDS which

does
me, but I can't imagine how I would use it with a convebntional chuck and

smallish bit.

With a SDS to conventional 3 jaw chuck adapter.

I think he knows that but can't imagine actually using it becasue it's such
a great big effing thing to handle, and probably pretty unweildly with the
gimickt replacement chuck stuckup front.

I'd be interested to know if anyone who has a replacement chuck woould

use
in with a 2-3mm HS bit, or to drill a pilot for a #8 woodscrew

Eh? Replace what chuck with what?
--

the point looks to be about using a 4kg SDS with small drills requiring
possibly requiring relatively high precision. (he said ..trying to second

cheers

Daid

David

"Kooky45" wrote in message
om...
John Rumm wrote in message

[...]

You seem to have your heart set on these makes but if you really want decent
speed control then the Bosch PBH2200RE SDS Drill £90 from Argos, has an
electronic speed control, about 10 positions IIRC, This came in very handy
to ensure a slow speed when drilling several ceramic tiles recently.

For drilling wood I suppose you'll be using one of the chuck convertors
mentioned, in which case the drill is going to be pretty long and unweildy.
Have you gone along to a local shop to have a play with one of these things
or something simliar, try and get the chuck convertor on the drill and see
how it feels as well.

As others have noted it's difficult to get a drill that will perform well
for all tasks, and for wood you will be much better off with a mains powered
standard drill or a good battery powered drill.

cheers

David

Andy Hall

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 02:47:21 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Kooky45 wrote:

from the Metabo range as they have a very good quick change mechanism
for swapping the SDS chuck with a conventional one (better than Makita
I believe). I first thought I'd get a BHE24 drill but I know they

Not sure I follow that... there is no such thing as an SDS chuck as such
- SDS bits just plug straight into the end of the drill. A
conventional chuck for a SDS drill is to all intents and purposes just a
special SDS bit that plugs in like any other.

You can have drills with separate chucks. I have the Bosch
Multidrill and that has one chuck for SDS and a different one for
conventional bits.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Lurch

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:15:07 +0100, "David"
strung together this:

Eh? Replace what chuck with what?
--

the point looks to be about using a 4kg SDS with small drills requiring
possibly requiring relatively high precision. (he said ..trying to second
guess the OP)

Ah, that makes sense I suppose.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
N. Thornton

I expect to get an SDS, most likely from scerwfix or toolstation - big
Q is which ones have rotostop AND will not let the chisel wander round
(gradually rotate) as it hammers? Theres no info in the cats about
this. I'm after a 2kg one.

Thanks, NT
Kooky45

I'm posting this from Google Groups so sorry if this is already been
mentioned...

I've been digging around for other drills and have found two Bosch SDS
drills, the green BHPH240RE which comes with some bits and an
alternative concentional chuck for around £130, and the blue
GBH2-24dfr which comes with only an alternative conventional chuck for
£170. I know there's a debate about whether blue is better than green
but I have no idea. Both have all the features I want for less than
the Metabo I mentioned earlier (cheapest equivalent Metabo is over
£200). Does anyone have a comments?

Thanks,

Ken
Mike Clarke

In article , N.
Thornton wrote:

I expect to get an SDS, most likely from scerwfix or toolstation - big
Q is which ones have rotostop AND will not let the chisel wander round
(gradually rotate) as it hammers? Theres no info in the cats about
this. I'm after a 2kg one.

I've just bought the Makita HR2450, you can lock the chisel. Just move
the selector half way towards the hammer only setting (the white dot
just visible in the Screwfix catalogue photo), rotate the chisel to your
desired position and move the selector fully over to lock. It also has
an interlock on the mode selector to stop it jumping from one mode to
the other on it's own accord as I understand some of the cheaper models
have been known to do.

--
Mike Clarke

G&M

"Grunff" wrote in message
G&M wrote:

The DeWalt 566 is quite light and very well balanced. I use it

one-handed
all the time almost as one would a battery powered drill.

Highly recommended providing you don't do a Grunff on it :-)

It's funny, since buying my Makita 18V combi, I've only used my Bosch
mains hammer drill once - and that was for mixing tile adhesive. It's
always either the DeWalt for drilling holes in walls/chiseling etc, or
the Makita for everything else.

Ah but you've got an understanding wife ! :-)
For some of us it's an either/or choice.

G&M

"Kooky45" wrote in message
om...
No-one has commented on drill bit speed for wood. I've already got a
12V Power Devil cordless drill which is fine for thin wood and
plasterboard but it's not very fast.

Time for an 18volt cordless unit then :-)

mike ring

Lurch wrote in
:

Ah, that makes sense I suppose.
--

Begyer pardon - I understood the OP to be talking about the SDS kits that
have a conventional chuck that fits into the SDS chuck and uses standard

I was perhaps on my second tinny, which may explain me incoherence, or it
may be simple senility.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said

but

I am not sure you reslise that what you heasr is not what I meant

mike
Grunff

G&M wrote:

Ah but you've got an understanding wife ! :-)

You bet - she loves the Makita. Really likes the speed control on it.

For some of us it's an either/or choice.

Ahhh!

BTW, the DeWalt is all fixed, running like new. Took me about 15 mins. I
reckon if I had to do it again I could do it in 5. Very nicely
engineered machine.

--
Grunff
Kooky45

Mike Clarke wrote in message ...
In article , N.
Thornton wrote:

I expect to get an SDS, most likely from scerwfix or toolstation - big
Q is which ones have rotostop AND will not let the chisel wander round
(gradually rotate) as it hammers? Theres no info in the cats about
this. I'm after a 2kg one.

I've just bought the Makita HR2450, you can lock the chisel. Just move
the selector half way towards the hammer only setting (the white dot
just visible in the Screwfix catalogue photo), rotate the chisel to your
desired position and move the selector fully over to lock. It also has
an interlock on the mode selector to stop it jumping from one mode to
the other on it's own accord as I understand some of the cheaper models
have been known to do.

Hi Nick,

What's the Makita like with the conventional chuck on the end? Does
it feel loose until you put pressure on it? Also, is it any good for
drilling into wood?

Thanks,

Ken

Mike Clarke

In article , Kooky45
wrote:

What's the Makita like with the conventional chuck on the end? Does it
feel loose until you put pressure on it? Also, is it any good for
drilling into wood?

Mine just has the SDS chuck and no extra adapter. I just use my
conventional drill for wood.

--
Mike Clarke
Ian Stirling

Grunff wrote:
G&M wrote:

Ah but you've got an understanding wife ! :-)

You bet - she loves the Makita. Really likes the speed control on it.

For some of us it's an either/or choice.

Ahhh!

BTW, the DeWalt is all fixed, running like new. Took me about 15 mins. I
reckon if I had to do it again I could do it in 5. Very nicely
engineered machine.

The spares for my angle grinder were even cheaper, only 6.95 for a complete
kit

John Rumm

Kooky45 wrote:

What's the Makita like with the conventional chuck on the end? Does
it feel loose until you put pressure on it?

Seems OK to me - some of the feel will depend on the quality of the SDS
chuck you get. No doubt a decent one will "feel" better than the
cheapest. (If yoo get the Makita from Lawson-HIS they have a deal
running where you get a free chuck adaptor- not sure who makes the chuck
though).

Also, is it any good for drilling into wood?

Only ever tried it with large bits (would use the cordless for most wood
drilling) for which it is fine.

With the cost of cheap pistol mains drills it is a bit of a non question
really. If the Makita does not drill wood in the way you want then
splash out another tenner on a separate mains drill - a decent chuck
adaptor would cost you more.

--
Cheers,

John.

Grunff

Ian Stirling wrote:

The spares for my angle grinder were even cheaper, only 6.95 for a complete
kit

:-)

I use crappy angle grinders too (for masonry work, keeping my good ones
clean for metal work). They are useful, but pretty crap compared to good
ones.

--
Grunff
Ian Stirling

Grunff wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

The spares for my angle grinder were even cheaper, only 6.95 for a complete
kit

:-)

I use crappy angle grinders too (for masonry work, keeping my good ones
clean for metal work). They are useful, but pretty crap compared to good
ones.

I've actually found that for some tools, the parts can be more valuable
than the whole.
Just try finding a small gearmotor for 1.99, when you can buy whole
screwdrivers for that.

The first really cheap angle grinder that died (5 min operating time)
yeilded a gearbox (4:1) that looks ideal to fit to my grinding machine
to reduce the speed from a normal motor, as the gearmotor I was using
died (crappy plastic gear)