Dave Plowman (News)

Default SDS drill for general DIY?

In article ,
Kooky45 wrote:
No-one has commented on drill bit speed for wood. I've already got a
12V Power Devil cordless drill which is fine for thin wood and
plasterboard but it's not very fast. I noticed the mains powered
drills have much higher speeds than either a cordless or SDS. Does
the high speed have any advantage for drilling or is torque more
important? Can you give me an example of wood drilling where the SDS
wasn't very good? I've a job on at the moment where I have to drill a
lot of 5mm holes all the way through 70mm timbers and my cordless
isn't up to the job.

High speed is perhaps useful, but not vital. Pretty well anything you'll
come across in the home can still be drilled at 1000 rpm or less - it'll
just take longer. But given that you can buy 2500 rpm mains drills for
about a tenner...

--
*Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.