Set Square

Default SDS drill for general DIY?

Kooky45 wrote:

I want an SDS drill for some work on brick and concrete, but I want
one that'll be very good for general DIY as well. I'm considering one
from the Metabo range as they have a very good quick change mechanism
for swapping the SDS chuck with a conventional one (better than Makita
I believe). I first thought I'd get a BHE24 drill but I know they
don't have a rotation lock and chiseling might be useful in the future
- wish I had one when I was hacking off tiles last year. I then
thought I'd get a KHE24 though they're more expensive (rotation and
percussion locks, but only one gear), and then I noticed the UHE range
are good for screw driving as well with their two speed gear box, but
they're the most expensive of all. I'm also concerned that all of
these SDS drills might not be good on wood with the percussion stop as
I've seen they have lower rotation speeds than normal hammer drills.

Can anyone with SDS experience for general DIY work tell advise me on
which one to buy please?

Many thanks,

Ken

Rather than spending a lot of money on *one* drill which does a lot of
things (some badly!), I would recommend buying *three* drills - but spending
far less on each. Get a cheapish SDS drill - but with rotation and
persussion locks - and use it just for drilling brick/concrete and
chiselling. Get a 2-speed conventional (mains) drill for general wood and
metal drilling. [It will probably come with hammer action - but ignore
that!]. Finally, get a rechargeable drill for light drilling and
screwdriving. That way, you will always have the best tool for each
particular job - without endless chuck and bit changing.
--
Cheers,
Set Square