John Kelly

Default Dishwasher problem

Hello all

My dishwasher has decided not to use the detergent tablet that I put in
the little container on the door. It just comes out soggy. It seems to
work okay if I just drop the table on the floor and let it wash as
normal. Only problem is I'm a little worried that I'm not cleaning it
all properly and so we're eating of dirty plates. Is this likely? Does
the table have to be in that little box in order for the detergent to be
applied at the correct point in the wash? Anyone know what the problem
with the washer might be?

Thanks

--
John Kelly

Remove dimspam if replying by mail
doozer

John Kelly wrote:
Hello all

My dishwasher has decided not to use the detergent tablet that I put in
the little container on the door. It just comes out soggy. It seems to
work okay if I just drop the table on the floor and let it wash as
normal. Only problem is I'm a little worried that I'm not cleaning it
all properly and so we're eating of dirty plates. Is this likely? Does
the table have to be in that little box in order for the detergent to be
applied at the correct point in the wash? Anyone know what the problem
with the washer might be?

Thanks

Possibly the door is jamming against something (like a plate or
saucepan) when it tries to open or it is gunked up and just needs a
clean. Failing that the release mechanism is broken and probably needs
replacing. The only problem with just throwing the tablet in is that
some of it will get used on the prewash. As for your plates not being
clean look at them. Do they look clean? If they do don't worry. If they
are covered top to bottom in bits of half washed food they are probably
dirty.

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:40:43 +0000, doozer
wrote:

Possibly the door is jamming against something (like a plate or
saucepan) when it tries to open or it is gunked up and just needs a
clean. Failing that the release mechanism is broken and probably needs
replacing. The only problem with just throwing the tablet in is that
some of it will get used on the prewash. As for your plates not being
clean look at them. Do they look clean? If they do don't worry. If they
are covered top to bottom in bits of half washed food they are probably
dirty.

It depends on the dishwasher. Many modern dishwashers have no need for
a pre-rinse. For example, our Bosch dishwasher does not pre-rinse on
the standard 65c setting.

It will only pre-rinse (and then a pre-rinse with hot water used on
both the pre-rinse and main wash cycle) when the machine is set to
70c.

If the original poster is worried about the tablet breaking up during
a pre-rinse then I suppose the answer would be to put the tablet in
the bottom of the machine, wait until the machine pumps out the water
from the pre-rinse and then check to see if the tablet is still
relatively intact.

I used to drop the tablet directly into the machine when we had an old
Hoover dishwasher. Even with a pre-rinse the tablet would not start to
break up until it got to the main wash.

Graham

Lobster

John Kelly wrote:

My dishwasher has decided not to use the detergent tablet that I put in
the little container on the door. It just comes out soggy.

So... tablets used to work OK, and now don't; or have you just changed
to using tablets and found they don't work?

If the former, how does the door container work: does it ping open
during the wash (ie as the main wash cycle starts? Is it fully open
when you inspect it at the end of the wash (and definitely hasn't been
held partly shut *during* the wash by some obstacle in the machine)?

David

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:17:25 +0000 (UTC), John Kelly
wrote:

Hello all

My dishwasher has decided not to use the detergent tablet that I put in
the little container on the door. It just comes out soggy. It seems to
work okay if I just drop the table on the floor and let it wash as
normal. Only problem is I'm a little worried that I'm not cleaning it
all properly and so we're eating of dirty plates. Is this likely? Does
the table have to be in that little box in order for the detergent to be
applied at the correct point in the wash? Anyone know what the problem
with the washer might be?

It's possible that the tablet is too big and is pushing the flap hard
against the catch and preventing it opening.

An an experiment try using powder (Or a crushed tablet) and see if it
works.

wrote:

[...]

interesting. Mine prerinses, but the one thing it cant handle is egg. I
wonder if putting a bit of ordinary washing up liquid in the prerinse
could help it deal with this? Must try it.

NT

Andrew McKay

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:29:34 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

Not a good idea. Ordinary washing-up stuff is too foamy.

I dunno. Do you remember seeing that early 1960's Rolling Stones video
where they are playing (?) whilst foam builds up around them? Might
have a beneficial effect for the kitchen.....

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam
filter will automatically update itself so that the
senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do
need to contact me please visit my web site and
submit an enquiry - http://www.kazmax.co.uk

Lobster

John Kelly wrote:

Didn't work - left me with a soggy tablet in the little container. What
actually makes the thing open up and let the soap out anyway? Maybe that
mechanism's not well.

But that's a no-brainer: is the container properly open at the end of
the cycle, or not? :-)

David
John Kelly

In article , davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com says...
John Kelly wrote:

Didn't work - left me with a soggy tablet in the little container. What
actually makes the thing open up and let the soap out anyway? Maybe that
mechanism's not well.

But that's a no-brainer: is the container properly open at the end of
the cycle, or not? :-)

No it's not - but what I don't know - is what opens it during the wash?

--
John Kelly

Remove dimspam if replying by mail
Lobster

John Kelly wrote:

Didn't work - left me with a soggy tablet in the little container. What
actually makes the thing open up and let the soap out anyway? Maybe that
mechanism's not well.

But that's a no-brainer: is the container properly open at the end of
the cycle, or not? :-)

No it's not - but what I don't know - is what opens it during the wash?

Haven't a clue; but if the container is still part closed at the end,
with the door open (ie it's not being blocked by anything) then the
problem is mechanical and nothing whatsoever to do with the tablets;
which is what I was trying to establish!

David