donny

Default Indesit dg6145 dishwasher leaking - fixed but I wish I hadn't!

I'm totally dumbfounded. My dishwasher started leaking from the bottom of
the door the other day so I stripped a few bits off and checked the seal all
around the door etc. After a few hints off the net I discovered that the
seal at the bottom of the door doesn't actually stop the water peeing out
onto the floor, rather it's a lip in the bottom of the dishwasher that is
raised above the water level. What stops the water overflowing is a "Float
valve". Probably nothing new to a lot of you here.

Great!! I thought to myself, lets have a go at this float valve and find out
why it's not cutting the water off when it should. Now, I expected a drain
hole at the level where the water shouldn't rise above and a polystyrene
bead or something similar in a tube with some fancy switch in a watertight
unit. No wonder it took me an hour to find the ****er. I found the drain
hole easy enough, it's near the element and about an inch and a half tall
with holes in the top. What really confused me was that the hole led to a
rubber tube and was draining out into the bottom of the dishwasher where the
electrics are. "Oh s**t!, that's really dangerous" I said to myself.

I spent a fair old while fumbling around under the dishwasher to see where
the tube should've been connected to and failed to find anything. Just as I
was about to give up, I spotted a bit of polystyrene just under the front of
the dishwasher near where the pipe was emptying out into. At first I thought
it was just a bit of packaging or something but when I looked closer, I
realised it was the float valve!!! And there was the switch connected to it.
I can't believe the machine was designed this way. Does anyone else think
that this is a bit dangerous?

Anyway, I tested the switch with a multimeter, all was ok. The polystyrene
float was also free to move. The problem was that the tube from the drain
hole had gotten blocked with gunk. Problem solved.

Hopefully this will help anyone else with a similar problem.

Donny.