Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Sunil

Default Whirlpool Dishwasher keypad problem

I have a 5 year old Whirlpool dishwasher Model # SUD600HQ1 under the
Kirkland Quiet Max logo from Costco. It has touch pad buttons.
Suddenly, some keys, including the one for "Normal" and "Pots & Pans"
have stopped responding. I can still run a complete wash cycle on the
"Low Energy" or "China" program.

I opened up the door panel and pressed in all the connectors firmly but
no luck.

How can I isolate if the problem lies with the Control Board or with
the keypad?

Is the keypad replaceable? Where can I buy one? Is there anything on
the control board that I can check with a multimeter?

Any pointers are most welcome as I feel I am on a short lease until the
remaining keys also stop working.
Thanks.

S Mathur

John A. Weeks III

In article .com,
"Sunil" wrote:

How can I isolate if the problem lies with the Control Board or with
the keypad?

Do you have a manual with a schematic? If not, that seems like
the first thing to get. Try a google search for the make and
model--you might find one on-line for free. Otherwise, check
out the Whirlpool website or call their hotline number.

If the keypad is mechanical, you should be able to disconnect
it and ohm out all the circuit paths. If it is an electronic
keypad, then it is likely beyond what a home user can do. The
most common thing with dishwashers is that they have a cam
driven by a clock motor, and the cam engages little micro
switches. These switches go bad, the lever breaks or bends,
or the switch gets out of alignment. Other common items are
sensor switches that get out of alignment or wear out.

Is the keypad replaceable? Where can I buy one? Is there anything on
the control board that I can check with a multimeter?

Parts should be available. Once you know the part number,
search for it in google, or order it from Whirlpool.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Sunil

John,

Appreciate your response.

The keypad is not mechanical - it has electronic switches and LEDs with
a flat ribbon cable connecting it to the control circuit board.

Unfortunately, I have not found a schematic or a service manual so far
but am still looking. The user manual is not of much use.

Called Whirlpool and the keypad is not available as a separate item but
is a part of the control panel assembly costing about $100. The control
board is a separate item also costing about $100 and I obviously would
hate to order both when the liklehood is that only one of them is the
culprit.

Thanks,

SM

dishwasher problem Alan Home Repair 11 August 23rd 04 12:02 PM
Whirlpool Dishwasher Programmer Not Progressing Spider_crk Home Repair 4 August 12th 04 07:28 AM
Whirlpool Duet Washer Drain Problem and Solution Brad Home Repair 11 March 1st 04 02:01 AM
Whirlpool Dishwasher Exbrat Electronics Repair 2 October 19th 03 04:57 AM