Brad

Default Whirlpool Duet Washer Drain Problem and Solution

My Duet stopped draining the other day. I checked the drain hose and
everything seemed fine so I figured something was wrong with the pump.
Not having any kind of instructions I lugged the thing (all 300 pounds)
out of the drain pain and into the middle of the room so I could get the
back panel off. As luck would have it the pump is in the front and can be
accessed by removing the lower front panel. I tried that first, but it
seemed to have hidden screws above (which it doesn't). You just remove
the three screws by the floor and work it free (apply extra elbow grease
here).

The pump has a simple plastic cap to expose the pre-impeller chamber. It
turned out there was a small kids' sock in there. I have no idea how it
got there because there is no hole bigger than 1/16 inch anywhere in the
tub.

I am just writing this because somebody will eventually do a usenet search
for this kind of problem and I couldn't find any such information when I
looked.

just me

"Brad" wrote in message
[...]

How old is the unit? Wouldn't this type of thing be covered under warranty?

jeff

Brad wrote in message news:MPG.1aa92fb5fdde8b698bc94@news...

Hi,

My Duet stopped draining the other day. I checked the drain hose and
everything seemed fine so I figured something was wrong with the pump.
Not having any kind of instructions I lugged the thing (all 300 pounds)
out of the drain pain and into the middle of the room so I could get the
back panel off. As luck would have it the pump is in the front and can be
accessed by removing the lower front panel. I tried that first, but it
seemed to have hidden screws above (which it doesn't). You just remove
the three screws by the floor and work it free (apply extra elbow grease
here).

Good tips!!

The pump has a simple plastic cap to expose the pre-impeller chamber. It
turned out there was a small kids' sock in there. I have no idea how it
got there because there is no hole bigger than 1/16 inch anywhere in the
tub.

Small socks and such can make there way around the edge of the tub
http://www.applianceaid.com/laundrybag.html
Ever have trouble with a sock in the pump??..or small articles of
clothing getting lost somewhere after the laundry is done??

The avobe may help.

I am just writing this because somebody will eventually do a usenet search
for this kind of problem and I couldn't find any such information when I
looked.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Dan O.

"Brad" wrote

My Duet stopped draining the other day. ...

The pump has a simple plastic cap to expose
the pre-impeller chamber. It turned out there
was a small kids' sock in there. ...

just me wrote

How old is the unit? Wouldn't this type of thing be
covered under warranty?

Not usually.

Appliance warranties usually state, "We (the manufacturer) will repair
or replace any part of the appliance which fails to function due to
*defects in material or workmanship*". They do not cover everything
which could possibly happen during use, just those things they are
responsible for (the manufacture of the appliance).

I'm sure there's likely a notice somewhere in the manual about
watching out for small items going astray.

You can read a bit more about home appliance warranties at the
following link:

http://ng.appliance411.com/purchase/warranty.shtml

JFYI

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Whirlpool+washer

=Ð~~~~~~

HA HA Budys Here

From: "Dan O."

Brad wrote in message ...

My Duet stopped draining the other day. I
checked the drain hose and everything
seemed fine so I figured something was
wrong with the pump. Not having any kind
of instructions I lugged the thing (all 300
pounds) out of the drain pain and into the
middle of the room so I could get the
back panel off.

As luck would have it
the pump is in the front and can be
accessed by removing the lower front
panel. I tried that first, but it seemed to
have hidden screws above (which it
doesn't). You just remove the three
screws by the floor and work it free
(apply extra elbow grease here).

If you're going to be attempting repairs yourself, it might be handy
to have a repair manual? You can get one for that model washer at the
following link:

Whirlpool - Kenmore Duet/HE3t Washer Repair Manual
http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc=1025824

The pump has a simple plastic cap to
expose the pre-impeller chamber. It
turned out there was a small kids' sock
in there. I have no idea how it got there
because there is no hole bigger than
1/16 inch anywhere in the tub.

Glad to hear it didn't damage the pump which often happens when
something gets into them. It makes it especially important that you
check pockets for loose coins and stuff.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Whirlpool+washer

Yes Dan, that's all fine and good...
But there's still the unsolved mystery...
Exactly how *did* a sock make it's way through a 1/16" hole and into the
pre-impeller chamber?

I think I speak for everyone here on this N.G, and quite possibly the rest of
the civilized ,machine-washing world, when I say that I think it's high time
you appliance guys told us exactly where the heck those missing 2,386,435,211*
socks are.

*missing sock count-to-date calculation result courtesy of M.I.T. If all the
missing socks in the world were laid end-to-end they would circle the globe 12
times.
Art

Yes the units are just about identical. The Kenmore pump is right up front
as you described. The main circuit board is on the left and protected from
water in newer models. Mine was repaired under warranty and the guy was
showing me around the insides as he fixed it.

"Brad" wrote in message
In article .net,
said...

"Brad" wrote in message
[...]

It's not the Kenmore version, but I'm pretty sure they're the same unit.

The sock is about 3-4 inches long. It's a sock for a 4-year-old.

Art

I like our Kenmore version but seems to me they screwed up the inner door.
If it came down further it would not let clothes get damaged during spin
cycle (rare but multiple complaints about it) and stuff would not end up
under the seal.

"Dan O." wrote in message

"Brad" wrote

[...]

Todd

Your situation is instructive for other readers. You were successful
in finding the sock, but any trained service person will know that
access is half of any job, which means getting to the part that needs
to be repaired in an appropriate manner. You did no damage by taking
off the rear panel of your Duet washer, but in some cases, taking
certain screws off the back of a washer or dryer which is
front-accessed will allow some inner workings of the unit to drop down
and require a service call just to repair that, before dealing with
your original problem. You will be charged for the damage done while
working on a unit yourself, even if it is covered by a warranty or
service contract, since these cover defects in parts and workmanship
or problems due to normal operation. A warranty would not cover a
sock in the pump, but a service contract would. Neither covers damage
that you inflict on the machine through carelessness, negligence or
self-repair.

Everyone thinks that they can fix their own machines. There are
multiple reasons for any one problem, and a trained service
professional will know how to access each component, perform the
proper test, and replace the appropriate part and any other part that
impacts the problem, while giving you advise to avoid future repairs.
An appliance owner needs to consider all the possible scenarios,
access to part purchases, the theory behind the operation of the
machine, and the time and hassle of research and repair, before
attempting a self-repair. Sometimes having someone else do the work
for you is one of life's little pleasures.

Todd
Art

I had problems with a Sears Kenmore version of the Duet from day 1. 4
mechanics worked on the noise and vibration problem. I finally called Sears
and told them to send their best or pick it up and give me a new one. They
sent their best guy who found 3 major defects with it (the best being that
the bottom of it was not properly attached to the sides of the cabinet). He
had Sears pick it up and send me a new one which has been fine.

om...