Alan

Default dishwasher problem

I just moved into a house with an older (probably 13 years) Sears
Kenmore model 110753792 dishwasher. When I try using it, the
detergent dispenser lid never opens. Am I doing something wrong or is
it a fault of the machine?
Wayne

Alan wrote in
news
I just moved into a house with an older (probably 13 years) Sears
Kenmore model 110753792 dishwasher. When I try using it, the
detergent dispenser lid never opens. Am I doing something wrong or is
it a fault of the machine?

Unless you managed to block the dispenser with items loaded into the
dishwasher, it's probably a faulty dispenser mechanism. They break or wear
out for various reasons.

The simplest test would be to open it manually, if possible, and run a full
cycle with the machine empty. Then run another cycle with detergent in the
cup. Sometimes detergent will gum up the mechanism.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
jeff

Alan wrote in message . ..
I just moved into a house with an older (probably 13 years) Sears
Kenmore model 110753792 dishwasher. When I try using it, the
detergent dispenser lid never opens. Am I doing something wrong or is
it a fault of the machine?

Hi,

Model# won't come up for me, Kenmore model#'s are more like
123.45678910 or 123 45678910

Kenmore is made by several different companies.
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/searscodes.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
Alan

On 21 Aug 2004 23:14:49 -0700, (jeff) wrote:

Alan wrote in message . ..
On 21 Aug 2004 11:30:43 -0700,
(jeff) wrote:

Alan wrote in message . ..
I just moved into a house with an older (probably 13 years) Sears
Kenmore model 110753792 dishwasher. When I try using it, the
detergent dispenser lid never opens. Am I doing something wrong or is
it a fault of the machine?

Hi,

Model# won't come up for me, Kenmore model#'s are more like
123.45678910 or 123 45678910

That is exactly the way it appears on the dishwasher. It is Sears
Canada, so that might explain the difference.

Hi,

Canadian model numbers ( most, if almost not all ) for Sears are not
online

Some soap dispensors are mechancial and some are
electrical....something here may help depending on the style of
dispensor and whom made the d/w for Sears.

http://www.applianceaid.com/soap-door.html#open

Without being able to see the style of dispensor used it is difficult
to ID what might be wrong, sorry!

Thanks for the link. I was unable to match it up with any of the
pictures. Maybe I should try to take the door apart to see what's in
behind. I am hesitant to go to the expense of getting a Sears
repairperson out here as I am not too sure if the dishwasher is worth
too much. It definitely could use new racks as they are rusted and
several tines broken off. Even if they were in good condition, they
are poorly designed, making it difficult to fit anything in other than
flat plates.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Alan" wrote in message
Thanks for the link. I was unable to match it up with any of the
pictures. Maybe I should try to take the door apart to see what's in
behind. I am hesitant to go to the expense of getting a Sears
repairperson out here as I am not too sure if the dishwasher is worth
too much. It definitely could use new racks as they are rusted and
several tines broken off. Even if they were in good condition, they
are poorly designed, making it difficult to fit anything in other than
flat plates.

You have little to lose if you can't fix it. A service call is probably
$100. If you were to buy new rack, that would be $200 or so. Given the age,
it is about time for it to die anyway.

If you can fix it cheap, great. If not, I'd think about a new and better
model for little more than the cost of fixing this one.
Ed

Alan

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:22:32 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
Thanks for the link. I was unable to match it up with any of the
pictures. Maybe I should try to take the door apart to see what's in
behind. I am hesitant to go to the expense of getting a Sears
repairperson out here as I am not too sure if the dishwasher is worth
too much. It definitely could use new racks as they are rusted and
several tines broken off. Even if they were in good condition, they
are poorly designed, making it difficult to fit anything in other than
flat plates.

You have little to lose if you can't fix it. A service call is probably
$100. If you were to buy new rack, that would be $200 or so. Given the age,
it is about time for it to die anyway.

If you can fix it cheap, great. If not, I'd think about a new and better
model for little more than the cost of fixing this one.
Ed

I took off the inside door panel to find a sliding mechanism that
releases the lid. It had a broken spring about 2" long. Not having a
suitable replacement, I tried twisting the broken ends together and
they appear to stay well enough. I put the panel back on and now
turning the dial around releases the lid. Hopefully I can get a
replacement spring, but sooner or later will get a new dishwasher.
Thank you for your replies.
Alan

wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

I called Sears Canada. She seemed to know which spring I was talking
about and the model number made sense to her. They are shipping a
spring ($3) to the nearest Sears store.
Gini

In article , Alan says...

wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

====
I had a similar problem with my Kenmore dishwasher. I started using Cascade Gel
instead of powder and it dispensed OK in spite of the bad spring. I used it for
about 5 years after that.
====
====

Alan

On 22 Aug 2004 13:15:10 -0700, Gini wrote:

In article , Alan says...

I took off the inside door panel to find a sliding mechanism that
releases the lid. It had a broken spring about 2" long. Not having a
suitable replacement, I tried twisting the broken ends together and
they appear to stay well enough. I put the panel back on and now
turning the dial around releases the lid. Hopefully I can get a
replacement spring, but sooner or later will get a new dishwasher.
Thank you for your replies.

====
I had a similar problem with my Kenmore dishwasher. I started using Cascade Gel
instead of powder and it dispensed OK in spite of the bad spring. I used it for
about 5 years after that.
====

Since the spring was in two pieces, the lid would not even open. Now
it opens when it should. I really don't think I will get new racks
because of the poor design and will likely replace the whole
dishwasher soon. At least it is usable in the meantime.

jeff

Alan wrote in message . ..

Since the spring was in two pieces, the lid would not even open. Now
it opens when it should. I really don't think I will get new racks
because of the poor design and will likely replace the whole
dishwasher soon. At least it is usable in the meantime.

Good catch on the spring!!

Thankx for the update!!

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid