Alan

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:08:32 GMT, Alan wrote:

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 13:22:32 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
Thanks for the link. I was unable to match it up with any of the
pictures. Maybe I should try to take the door apart to see what's in
behind. I am hesitant to go to the expense of getting a Sears
repairperson out here as I am not too sure if the dishwasher is worth
too much. It definitely could use new racks as they are rusted and
several tines broken off. Even if they were in good condition, they
are poorly designed, making it difficult to fit anything in other than
flat plates.

You have little to lose if you can't fix it. A service call is probably
$100. If you were to buy new rack, that would be $200 or so. Given the age,
it is about time for it to die anyway.

If you can fix it cheap, great. If not, I'd think about a new and better
model for little more than the cost of fixing this one.
Ed

I took off the inside door panel to find a sliding mechanism that
releases the lid. It had a broken spring about 2" long. Not having a
suitable replacement, I tried twisting the broken ends together and
they appear to stay well enough. I put the panel back on and now
turning the dial around releases the lid. Hopefully I can get a
replacement spring, but sooner or later will get a new dishwasher.
Thank you for your replies.

I called Sears Canada. She seemed to know which spring I was talking
about and the model number made sense to her. They are shipping a
spring ($3) to the nearest Sears store.