Andrew McKay

Default DIY Beer

I've arranged an informal get-together for anyone who might be
interested in having a beer and/or evening meal. Wives/girlfriends
welcome. Jeans/tee-shirts are fine.

It's at The George in Winnersh:

http://www.readingrestaurants.com/the_george/

Dead easy to find. Tuesday April 12th from 7:30pm onwards.

We've done these informal gatherings before. The format is buy your
own beer, order/buy whatever food you want, pull up a chair and chat
about anything you want. It doesn't have to be DIY related but can be
if you want.

The George does excellent food (we've been there before), and there's
a decent selection of beers.

If the weather was decent we could sit next to the river in the rear
garden, however that's probably hoping for too much at this time of
year.

Andrew

Mary Fisher

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
I've arranged an informal get-together for anyone who might be
interested in having a beer and/or evening meal. Wives/girlfriends
welcome. Jeans/tee-shirts are fine.

It's at The George in Winnersh:

http://www.readingrestaurants.com/the_george/

Dead easy to find.

If you know where it is ...

Tuesday April 12th from 7:30pm onwards.

We've done these informal gatherings before. The format is buy your
own beer, order/buy whatever food you want, pull up a chair and chat
about anything you want. It doesn't have to be DIY related but can be
if you want.

The George does excellent food (we've been there before), and there's
a decent selection of beers.

I love meets. But about this time last year we paid the (large) bill for a
fellow DIYer from the group who said he'd send a check. He didn't. We were
VERY disappointed because he and his wife were lovely people ... perhaps
they hit hard time but they could have contacted us. He doesn't post here
any more.

I don't like hard feelings :-( And it was my birthday ...

Mary

If the weather was decent we could sit next to the river in the rear
garden, however that's probably hoping for too much at this time of
year.

Andrew

Rod Hewitt

"Mary Fisher" wrote in
et:

I don't like hard feelings :-( And it was my birthday ...

This Sunday, n'est pas?

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
Mary Fisher

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in
et:

I don't like hard feelings :-( And it was my birthday ...

This Sunday, n'est pas?

LOUDER! :-)

Mary

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk

Lobster

Mary Fisher wrote:
I love meets. But about this time last year we paid the (large) bill for a
fellow DIYer from the group who said he'd send a check. He didn't. We were
VERY disappointed because he and his wife were lovely people ... perhaps
they hit hard time but they could have contacted us. He doesn't post here
any more.

Well I hope you named and shamed the miserable sod here!

Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

http://www.readingrestaurants.com/the_george/

Dead easy to find.

If you know where it is ...

You would get on the M1, (although horse and cart is not allowed these
days)

HORSE and cart? There's a novelty. We use oxen. Horses are for riding.

and head for civilisation. Broadly speaking, this starts south
of Watford......

Ok, so you go north.

Once there, you turn right and make for God's own country.

Confirmed, north it is.

If you're
very good, leave your clogs at home

What about us shawls?

and don't say "champion" too
often,

We only say that when there's something to compliment.

somebody by the name of Andrew (there are a minimum of three)
will buy you a beer or Babycham if you prefer.

feels faint Is that stuff still made? Spouse's cousin (from somewhere in
the s**th of course) once worked for them. Blech.

Note that this is
proper beer - not the firefighting foam made by Tetley

Tetley's don't make beer any more, they were taken over. It was never very
good anyway except in the brewery or in one or two selected pubs round the
corner who got special deliveries.

'Tetleys' beer isn't highly thought of hereabouts - except when compared
with John Smiths ...

(who really
should stick to their excuse for tea)

Wossat then?

and which requires barmaids on
steroids to pull a pint.

Whereas your lot simply press a button :-)

Take care to about the derivatives and futures traders in their red
braces and Porsches. They are direct descendents of Dick Turpin and
should be avoided.

He was hanged in York. Not liked round here. He was from the s**th.

Despite what they might tell you, the streets are
not paved with gold, although we have now been polluted by Morrisons,
who seem to believe that we just want to buy pies.

They must have thought there would be suckers down there :-)

We don't buy pies here, we make our own. Still, if you don't know any better
.... :-)

Mary

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:08:06 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
. ..
I've arranged an informal get-together for anyone who might be
interested in having a beer and/or evening meal. Wives/girlfriends
welcome. Jeans/tee-shirts are fine.

It's at The George in Winnersh:

http://www.readingrestaurants.com/the_george/

Dead easy to find.

If you know where it is ...

You would get on the M1, (although horse and cart is not allowed these
days) and head for civilisation. Broadly speaking, this starts south
of Watford......

Oi You ... outside !

--
geoff
Andy Hall

wrote:

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
I've arranged an informal get-together for anyone who might be
interested in having a beer and/or evening meal. Wives/girlfriends
welcome. Jeans/tee-shirts are fine.

It's at The George in Winnersh:

http://www.readingrestaurants.com/the_george/

Dead easy to find.

If you know where it is ...

You would get on the M1, (although horse and cart is not allowed these
days) and head for civilisation. Broadly speaking, this starts south
of Watford......

Oi You ... outside !

Well OK, south of Milton Keynes, then....

One has to draw the line somewhere.....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

wrote:

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
m...
I've arranged an informal get-together for anyone who might be
interested in having a beer and/or evening meal. Wives/girlfriends
welcome. Jeans/tee-shirts are fine.

It's at The George in Winnersh:

http://www.readingrestaurants.com/the_george/

Dead easy to find.

If you know where it is ...

You would get on the M1, (although horse and cart is not allowed these
days) and head for civilisation. Broadly speaking, this starts south
of Watford......

Oi You ... outside !

Well OK, south of Milton Keynes, then....

One has to draw the line somewhere.....

It's about time it did start somewhere in the s**th.

Mary

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

We don't buy pies here, we make our own. Still, if you don't know any better
... :-)

I buy mine. I can't do them as well as my local pieshop
http://www.pieminister.co.uk/

(if you're in Bristol, and you're not afraid of Stokes Croft, give
them a try)

Dave

wrote:

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
.. .
I've arranged an informal get-together for anyone who might be
interested in having a beer and/or evening meal. Wives/girlfriends
welcome. Jeans/tee-shirts are fine.

It's at The George in Winnersh:

http://www.readingrestaurants.com/the_george/

Dead easy to find.

If you know where it is ...

You would get on the M1, (although horse and cart is not allowed these
days) and head for civilisation. Broadly speaking, this starts south
of Watford......

....ooh, fighting talk ;-)

Once there, you turn right and make for God's own country. If you're
very good, leave your clogs at home and don't say "champion" too
often, somebody by the name of Andrew (there are a minimum of three)
will buy you a beer or Babycham if you prefer. Note that this is
proper beer - not the firefighting foam made by Tetley (who really
should stick to their excuse for tea) and which requires barmaids on
steroids to pull a pint.

I like a strong woman!

Take care to about the derivatives and futures traders in their red
braces and Porsches. They are direct descendents of Dick Turpin and
should be avoided. Despite what they might tell you, the streets are
not paved with gold, although we have now been polluted by Morrisons,
who seem to believe that we just want to buy pies.

Wots wrong with pies?

Mary Fisher

wrote:

We don't buy pies here, we make our own. Still, if you don't know any
better
... :-)

I buy mine. I can't do them as well as my local pieshop

That's a shame. I might have fr more experience than you though :-)

But more importantly, I want to know exactly what's in what I eat.

http://www.pieminister.co.uk/

It does look good - but how can those standards be maintained at outlets all
round the country? It's obviously a (relatively) high volume manufacturer so
can't be compared with freshly baked one-off pies well made at home.

(if you're in Bristol, and you're not afraid of Stokes Croft, give
them a try)

I'm never in Bristol ... drove through it once, years ago, it was
terrifying! No idea if it was Stokes Croft though :-)

Mary

Andy Dingley

wrote:

It's obviously a (relatively) high volume manufacturer so
can't be compared with freshly baked one-off pies well made at home.

No, they're tiny and very keen on their pie quality. Obviously
distribution is never a good thing for food quality, but if you see
them with a travelling stall at a local Bristol event (where I found
them), give them a try.
Chris Bacon

Mary Fisher wrote this tittle-tattle:
I love meets. But about this time last year we paid the (large) bill for a
fellow DIYer from the group who said he'd send a check. He didn't.

You and your money were soon parted then. Shouldn't lend money to Yanks.

Owain

Mary Fisher wrote:
Take care to about the derivatives and futures traders in their red
braces and Porsches. They are direct descendents of Dick Turpin and
should be avoided.

He was hanged in York. Not liked round here. He was from the s**th.

It's not as though Scots are terribly welcome in York either ...

Owain

Mary Fisher

wrote:

It's obviously a (relatively) high volume manufacturer so
can't be compared with freshly baked one-off pies well made at home.

No, they're tiny

Um, "Our pies are available through a growing number of pubs, bars, delis
and restaurants *nationwide*" (my emphasis but otherwise direct from the
website home page).

and very keen on their pie quality.

That seems to be true.

Obviously
distribution is never a good thing for food quality, but if you see
them with a travelling stall at a local Bristol event (where I found
them), give them a try.

As I say, we don't go to those parts.

But when we do travel - which of course is frequently - we take all our food
with us. I cook and bake on-site. We've been disappointed too often to risk
anything else, even when friends have recommended places to us. I suppose we
all have different expectations.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote this tittle-tattle:
I love meets. But about this time last year we paid the (large) bill for
a fellow DIYer from the group who said he'd send a check. He didn't.

You and your money were soon parted then. Shouldn't lend money to Yanks.

What makes you think he was a Yank???

Mary

RichardS

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote this tittle-tattle:
I love meets. But about this time last year we paid the (large) bill

for
a fellow DIYer from the group who said he'd send a check. He didn't.

You and your money were soon parted then. Shouldn't lend money to Yanks.

What makes you think he was a Yank???

...."who said he'd send a check"

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Mary Fisher

"RichardS" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote this tittle-tattle:
I love meets. But about this time last year we paid the (large) bill

for
a fellow DIYer from the group who said he'd send a check. He didn't.

You and your money were soon parted then. Shouldn't lend money to
Yanks.

What makes you think he was a Yank???

..."who said he'd send a check"

er - wouldn't that make me the Yank?

Mary

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Andy Hall

wrote:

We don't buy pies here, we make our own. Still, if you don't know any better
... :-)

I buy mine. I can't do them as well as my local pieshop
http://www.pieminister.co.uk/

(if you're in Bristol, and you're not afraid of Stokes Croft, give
them a try)

What is there to be afraid of in Stokes Croft?

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:09:31 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

Wots wrong with pies?

It's when they remove the broad selection of products that Safeway
used to sell and make the assumption that people only want to buy pies
that they have misunderstood their marketplace and therefore deserve
to lose customers.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:09:31 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

Wots wrong with pies?

It's when they remove the broad selection of products that Safeway
used to sell

You do know a lot about pies - and Safeways!

:-)

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
Take care to about the derivatives and futures traders in their red
braces and Porsches. They are direct descendents of Dick Turpin and
should be avoided.

He was hanged in York. Not liked round here. He was from the s**th.

It's not as though Scots are terribly welcome in York either ...

Everything's relative ...

:-)

Mary

Owain

Stefek Zaba

Andy Hall wrote:

What is there to be afraid of in Stokes Croft?

Roughish end of town: just next to the City Centre, thusfore not much
residential space, City Road wot passes through it has at various points
in its life been one of the main places for prostitutes and their
clients to meet. Being That Sort Of Area, there and thereabouts is where
successive waves of immigrants have first lived - Irish, Polish, and
Carribean to name but three; the Polski Churchski is a quarter of a mile
up the road.

The area's currently getting smartened up - fewer of the shops/bars are
boarded up or depressingly dingy than five years ago; but it's one of
those border areas - there are fine big Regency houses (some
multi-occupied, some single-household) rising up the steep hill in one
direction - so estate agents will stretch the boundaries of that area
(Cotham) egregiously far in their descriptions, while a coupla hundred
yards in the other direction lie the 'livelier urban' areas of
Montpelier and St Pauls.

Stefek

Mary Fisher

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

What is there to be afraid of in Stokes Croft?

Roughish end of town: just next to the City Centre, thusfore not much
residential space, City Road wot passes through it has at various points
in its life been one of the main places for prostitutes and their clients
to meet. Being That Sort Of Area, there and thereabouts is where
successive waves of immigrants have first lived - Irish, Polish, and
Carribean to name but three; the Polski Churchski is a quarter of a mile
up the road.

Sounds exactly like my part of Leeds except that we had at last count 32
different ethnic groups. I think there are more now. I'd rather walk around
here than in one of the more sterile parts. There's always something going
on, always people around.

Mary

Andy Hall

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:55:16 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:09:31 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

Wots wrong with pies?

It's when they remove the broad selection of products that Safeway
used to sell

You do know a lot about pies - and Safeways!

:-)

Mary

I don't tend to eat them much any more and tend not to shop at Safeway
either.....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Stefek Zaba

Mary Fisher wrote:

Sounds exactly like my part of Leeds

Chapeltown?

except that we had at last count 32
different ethnic groups. I think there are more now. I'd rather walk around
here than in one of the more sterile parts. There's always something going
on, always people around.

Indeed - there are a number of good small-scale music venues there,
which I'm relatively often going to, taking one of our teens to, or
(swells with parental pride) both ;-) And just like Those Parts Of Town
in the more famous cities of the world - yer Sohos-n-Camdens, yer
Rive-Gauche - there's plenty of artist-types around who enjoy the
edginess. And our cars are old enough to be parked there with a
relatively high probability of there being sthg more worth nicking in
front and behind ;-) Just not the best of places to linger aimlessly -
either because someone'll be along to part you from your wallet/mobile,
or because you'll be pulled in by the Vice Squad ;-)

On which topic, Stokes Croft features one of the more amusing bits of
street advertising: there's a "massage parlour" (yes, *that* sort of
massage parlour) with one entrance on the main road, with signs
including the helpful information "Discrete Entrance At Back". Sure
enough, on the street which runs behind the establishment, there's
another entrance, with a positively HUGE sign boasting the words,
"D I S C R E T E E N T R A N C E"...

As Kenniff Williams nearly said - "irony, irony, they've all got it
irony"...
Mary Fisher

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message
except that we had at last count 32
different ethnic groups. I think there are more now. I'd rather walk
around here than in one of the more sterile parts. There's always
something going on, always people around.

Indeed - there are a number of good small-scale music venues there, which
I'm relatively often going to, taking one of our teens to, or (swells with
parental pride) both ;-)

We haven't any teens - except grandchildren teens - um - five to date. The
other four haven't reached it yet and the oldest two soon won't be.

And just like Those Parts Of Town in the more famous cities of the world -
yer Sohos-n-Camdens, yer Rive-Gauche - there's plenty of artist-types
around who enjoy the edginess. And our cars are old enough to be parked
there with a relatively high probability of there being sthg more worth
nicking in front and behind ;-) Just not the best of places to linger
aimlessly - either because someone'll be along to part you from your
wallet/mobile, or because you'll be pulled in by the Vice Squad ;-)

That's never happened to me ...

On which topic, Stokes Croft features one of the more amusing bits of
street advertising: there's a "massage parlour" (yes, *that* sort of
massage parlour)

Oh! I don't think we have one of those! Sophistication hasn't reached
Chapeltown.

As Kenniff Williams nearly said - "irony, irony, they've all got it
irony"...

Not us :-)

But I still wouldn't be worried about going through Stokes Croft.

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:55:16 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:09:31 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

Wots wrong with pies?

It's when they remove the broad selection of products that Safeway
used to sell

You do know a lot about pies - and Safeways!

:-)

Mary

I don't tend to eat them much any more and tend not to shop at Safeway
either.....

Nor me. either. And I don't think there IS a Safeway any more near us. It
was, briefly, Morrison then Somerfield. The other nearest Somerfield is
about 100 yards away.

Spouse tells me all that, he sometimes buys his goatmilk from them.

Mary

Owain

Stefek Zaba wrote:
... while a coupla hundred yards in the other direction lie
the 'livelier urban' areas

'livelier urban' -- nice phrase. Sort of where City Centre meets Inner City.

Owain

nog

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:55:03 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:55:16 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:09:31 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

It's when they remove the broad selection of products that Safeway
used to sell

You do know a lot about pies - and Safeways!

I don't tend to eat them much any more and tend not to shop at Safeway
either.....

Nobody shops at Safeway any more.
Andy Hall

wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:09:31 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

It's when they remove the broad selection of products that Safeway
used to sell

You do know a lot about pies - and Safeways!

I don't tend to eat them much any more and tend not to shop at Safeway
either.....

Nobody shops at Safeway any more.

I certainly hope so, so that Morrisons loses their shirt and either
goes bust or is acquired and all pies are removed from the shelves.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
nog

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:43:02 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:55:07 +0000, nog wrote:

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:55:03 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:55:16 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
m...
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:09:31 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

It's when they remove the broad selection of products that Safeway
used to sell

You do know a lot about pies - and Safeways!

I don't tend to eat them much any more and tend not to shop at Safeway
either.....

Nobody shops at Safeway any more.

I certainly hope so, so that Morrisons loses their shirt and either
goes bust or is acquired and all pies are removed from the shelves.

I concur - really don't care for Morrison's. Thankfully our local Safeway
was flogged off to Sainsbury's (although there are some Safeway products
that we're sorry to have lost).
Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

It's when they remove the broad selection of products that Safeway
used to sell

You do know a lot about pies - and Safeways!

I don't tend to eat them much any more and tend not to shop at Safeway
either.....

Nobody shops at Safeway any more.

I certainly hope so, so that Morrisons loses their shirt and either
goes bust or is acquired and all pies are removed from the shelves.

You're beginning to sound like Peter Tinniswood ... :-)

Mary

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Wade

Stefek Zaba wrote:

[...] another entrance, with a positively HUGE sign boasting the
words, "D I S C R E T E E N T R A N C E"...

That's OK isn't it? - if they haven't made any claim about it being a
discreet entrance ;-)

--
Andy
RichardS

"RichardS" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote this tittle-tattle:
I love meets. But about this time last year we paid the (large) bill

for
a fellow DIYer from the group who said he'd send a check. He didn't.

You and your money were soon parted then. Shouldn't lend money to
Yanks.

What makes you think he was a Yank???

..."who said he'd send a check"

er - wouldn't that make me the Yank?

ah, c'mon now Mary, you're not playing the game... or as the mcMerkins
say, "whatEverrr!" :-)

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Mary Fisher

"RichardS" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote this tittle-tattle:
I love meets. But about this time last year we paid the (large)
bill
for
a fellow DIYer from the group who said he'd send a check. He
didn't.

You and your money were soon parted then. Shouldn't lend money to
Yanks.

What makes you think he was a Yank???

..."who said he'd send a check"

er - wouldn't that make me the Yank?

ah, c'mon now Mary, you're not playing the game... or as the mcMerkins
say, "whatEverrr!" :-)

Oh, sorry.

I'll go and have myself whipped.

Unless you'd like to come and do it ...

Mary

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

nick smith

I'll go and have myself whipped.

Unless you'd like to come and do it ...

Mary

I will if he won't :-))

Nick

Mary Fisher

"nick smith" wrote in message
I'll go and have myself whipped.

Unless you'd like to come and do it ...

Mary

I will if he won't :-))

drums fingers ... 'Im waiting ...

Mary

Nick

Beer fridge emergency Al, Cambridge, UK UK diy 11 December 21st 04 02:54 PM
Beer as a wood stain/dye/varnish [email protected] Woodworking 4 December 13th 04 08:09 PM
Pedal Powered Beer Wagon MetalMan Too Metalworking 1 May 4th 04 11:58 PM
beer bottle display PC Woodworking 0 August 10th 03 07:42 AM
beer in the shop? Eric Lund Woodworking 5 July 11th 03 02:10 PM