Stefek Zaba

Mary Fisher wrote:

Sounds exactly like my part of Leeds

Chapeltown?

except that we had at last count 32
different ethnic groups. I think there are more now. I'd rather walk around
here than in one of the more sterile parts. There's always something going
on, always people around.

Indeed - there are a number of good small-scale music venues there,
which I'm relatively often going to, taking one of our teens to, or
(swells with parental pride) both ;-) And just like Those Parts Of Town
in the more famous cities of the world - yer Sohos-n-Camdens, yer
Rive-Gauche - there's plenty of artist-types around who enjoy the
edginess. And our cars are old enough to be parked there with a
relatively high probability of there being sthg more worth nicking in
front and behind ;-) Just not the best of places to linger aimlessly -
either because someone'll be along to part you from your wallet/mobile,
or because you'll be pulled in by the Vice Squad ;-)

On which topic, Stokes Croft features one of the more amusing bits of
street advertising: there's a "massage parlour" (yes, *that* sort of
massage parlour) with one entrance on the main road, with signs
including the helpful information "Discrete Entrance At Back". Sure
enough, on the street which runs behind the establishment, there's
another entrance, with a positively HUGE sign boasting the words,
"D I S C R E T E E N T R A N C E"...

As Kenniff Williams nearly said - "irony, irony, they've all got it
irony"...