raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message

It doesn't actually say which type of cancer he died from

Smoking is indicated in most if not all types of cancer.

What, like prostate cancer ?
I thought it had a strongly genetic element

It's a bit like saying

"Fred died last week"

"Oh yes? How"

"He was run over"

"Ah - old age then"

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
Indeed. Of cancer. And earlier progs often showed him with a fag
hanging out of his mouth - even when talking.

Earlier progs? Seems we are not getting the full story over here.
However, please resist the urge to copy it across!!!

It doesn't actually say which type of cancer he died from.

No - I was just guessing. But as I said, footage of him as a much younger
man showed him invariably with a fag on. Before it became non PC to smoke
on TV.

--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "brugnospamsia" contains these words:

Antifreeze adds *BODY*...

(I have a 12v immersion heater for use in the carriage, don't y'know.)

I suppose you all saw Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall cook a Thames carp on his
Landrover manifold ?

Nope. I haven't got a haunted fishtank.

The heating system of my My Peugeot 405 Diesel chucks out so much
waste heat
(I prefer to drive with windows and sunroof open in the winter :-),
I'm now
thinking maybe I should fit a heat exchanger in the system somewhere .....

Hmmmm. Hfr it to heat an oven. Slip your evening meal in and it's cooked
when you get home? Keeps stuff warm on the way back from the chippy?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:
In article ,
Owain wrote:

Fred Dibnah's traction engine (on TV earlier this evening, series
continues) had a tap for hot water. (And at a top speed of 12 mph, it
wouldn't be too taxing for the OP to run behind it.)

One would think that 100 years later the internal combustion engine
manufacturers would catch up with the idea of a cuppa on the move.

They're called service stations.:-)

Now Fred simply used fire hydrants. But he mentioned the problems
encountered when steam traffic was common.
We'll have to wait for later to discover what he does about fuel for the
journey. He mentioned getting some coal, but I can't imagine it being
possible to carry what's needed for the journey.

They generally towed a trailer of fuel and another shed on wheels as a
sort-of caravan/toolstore. I have some photos somewhere, taken at
Forncett Steam Museum (S. Norfolk), of a steam loco with just such an
arrangement, which called there on its way to some rally in Yorkshire.

Just looked through all the photos I can find, and i dunno where these
particular ones are.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
brugnospamsia

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "brugnospamsia" contains these
words:

Antifreeze adds *BODY*...

(I have a 12v immersion heater for use in the carriage, don't y'know.)

I suppose you all saw Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall cook a Thames carp on
his
Landrover manifold ?

Nope. I haven't got a haunted fishtank.

The heating system of my My Peugeot 405 Diesel chucks out so much
waste heat
(I prefer to drive with windows and sunroof open in the winter :-),
I'm now
thinking maybe I should fit a heat exchanger in the system somewhere

Hmmmm. Hfr it to heat an oven. Slip your evening meal in and it's cooked
when you get home? Keeps stuff warm on the way back from the chippy?

.... thanks for reminding me - my glove box already keeps fish and chips warm
for ages - just needs insulation and heat input .....

:-)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
Now Fred simply used fire hydrants. But he mentioned the problems
encountered when steam traffic was common. We'll have to wait for
later to discover what he does about fuel for the journey. He
mentioned getting some coal, but I can't imagine it being possible to
carry what's needed for the journey.

They generally towed a trailer of fuel and another shed on wheels as a
sort-of caravan/toolstore. I have some photos somewhere, taken at
Forncett Steam Museum (S. Norfolk), of a steam loco with just such an
arrangement, which called there on its way to some rally in Yorkshire.

Ah - right. They showed it towing the 'caravan'. Perhaps the next episode
will show some form of 'tender'?

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
brugnospamsia wrote:
Hmmmm. Hfr it to heat an oven. Slip your evening meal in and it's
cooked when you get home? Keeps stuff warm on the way back from the
chippy?

... thanks for reminding me - my glove box already keeps fish and chips
warm for ages - just needs insulation and heat input .....

Ah. Mine is fed off the air-con to keep things like drinks cool. Different
priorities?

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

It doesn't actually say which type of cancer he died from

Smoking is indicated in most if not all types of cancer.

What, like prostate cancer ?

Apparently all cancers, because of its influence on 'free radicals'. It's
well documented. Tobacco smoke can have an effect on all cells in our
bodies. That doesn't mean that it does nor that all cancers are caused or
only caused by smoking. I did, carefully, say 'indicated'.

I thought it had a strongly genetic element

Oh indeed it has. Only men get it.

In fact most men get it, only a few die from it but many die WITH it.

The same applies to lots of cancers though. There's a lot of it about :-)

It's a bit like saying

"Fred died last week"

"Oh yes? How"

"He was run over"

"Ah - old age then"

er? I don't understand that.

Mary

--
geoff

raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
raden wrote:
Indeed. Of cancer. And earlier progs often showed him with a fag
hanging out of his mouth - even when talking.

Earlier progs? Seems we are not getting the full story over here.
However, please resist the urge to copy it across!!!

It doesn't actually say which type of cancer he died from.

No - I was just guessing. But as I said, footage of him as a much younger
man showed him invariably with a fag on. Before it became non PC to smoke
on TV.

Look Mary, that was the sort of direct answer I was expecting

There are many contributory factors to various types of cancers.

I had a good friend who died a couple of years ago of throat cancer,
normally associated with smoking - he was very anti smoking and had
never had never smoked.

So ... don't jump to conclusions

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

raden wrote:
Indeed. Of cancer. And earlier progs often showed him with a fag
hanging out of his mouth - even when talking.

Earlier progs? Seems we are not getting the full story over here.
However, please resist the urge to copy it across!!!

It doesn't actually say which type of cancer he died from.

No - I was just guessing. But as I said, footage of him as a much younger
man showed him invariably with a fag on. Before it became non PC to smoke
on TV.

Look Mary, that was the sort of direct answer I was expecting

er - I didn't say what's above your comment!

There are many contributory factors to various types of cancers.

I know.

What's more, there are many different types of cancers even within the main
types. That's one reason - only one - for there not being simple solutions
as well as not being able to define definite causes for any one.

I had a good friend who died a couple of years ago of throat cancer,
normally associated with smoking - he was very anti smoking and had never
had never smoked.

So ... don't jump to conclusions

I have cancer. I don't jump to any conclusions about cancer. And I'm not
looking for sympathy :-)

Mary

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes
No - I was just guessing. But as I said, footage of him as a much younger
man showed him invariably with a fag on. Before it became non PC to smoke
on TV.

Look Mary, that was the sort of direct answer I was expecting

er - I didn't say what's above your comment!

Did I say you did ?

read what I typed above, then you'll understand why I replied in that
way

There are many contributory factors to various types of cancers.

I know.

What's more, there are many different types of cancers even within the main
types. That's one reason - only one - for there not being simple solutions
as well as not being able to define definite causes for any one.

You're destroying your argument here

I had a good friend who died a couple of years ago of throat cancer,
normally associated with smoking - he was very anti smoking and had never
had never smoked.

So ... don't jump to conclusions

I have cancer. I don't jump to any conclusions about cancer. And I'm not
looking for sympathy :-)

Then I shall be flippant ...

Not prostate cancer I presume

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
No - I was just guessing. But as I said, footage of him as a much
younger man showed him invariably with a fag on. Before it became non
PC to smoke on TV.

Look Mary, that was the sort of direct answer I was expecting

Hoi. Don't call me a Mary. Dick sucking ****** will do.

There are many contributory factors to various types of cancers.

Yup.

I had a good friend who died a couple of years ago of throat cancer,
normally associated with smoking - he was very anti smoking and had
never had never smoked.

Roy Castle also springs to mind.

So ... don't jump to conclusions

Sorry. I don't think it a slur on anybody guessing what they died of. It's
their life, after all.

--
*Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
brugnospamsia

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
brugnospamsia wrote:
Hmmmm. Hfr it to heat an oven. Slip your evening meal in and it's
cooked when you get home? Keeps stuff warm on the way back from the
chippy?

... thanks for reminding me - my glove box already keeps fish and chips
warm for ages - just needs insulation and heat input .....

Ah. Mine is fed off the air-con to keep things like drinks cool. Different
priorities?

.... methinks one could have probably have both from a source of waste
heat, with knowledge of refrigeration and some dangerous pressurised gases
;-)

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes
No - I was just guessing. But as I said, footage of him as a much
younger
man showed him invariably with a fag on. Before it became non PC to
smoke
on TV.

Look Mary, that was the sort of direct answer I was expecting

er - I didn't say what's above your comment!

Did I say you did ?

Not directly but you addressed me personally :-)

read what I typed above, then you'll understand why I replied in that way

Nope, still don't get it. But don't worry about it, it's not important.

There are many contributory factors to various types of cancers.

I know.

What's more, there are many different types of cancers even within the
main
types. That's one reason - only one - for there not being simple solutions
as well as not being able to define definite causes for any one.

You're destroying your argument here

No, I'm strengthening it.

I had a good friend who died a couple of years ago of throat cancer,
normally associated with smoking - he was very anti smoking and had
never
had never smoked.

So ... don't jump to conclusions

I have cancer. I don't jump to any conclusions about cancer. And I'm not
looking for sympathy :-)

Then I shall be flippant ...

I am sanguine and open about my cancer. Be as flippant as you like, it won't
affect me in any way.

Not prostate cancer I presume

For once you're right.

I'd already agreed that there's a genetic element in prostate cancer, only
men get it G

Mary

--
geoff

Tofino

Owain wrote:
One would think that 100 years later the internal combustion engine
manufacturers would catch up with the idea of a cuppa on the move.

Experience the Teasmade Anglia, new for 2005.

Bob Eager

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:07:46 UTC, "Tofino" wrote:

Owain wrote:
One would think that 100 years later the internal combustion engine
manufacturers would catch up with the idea of a cuppa on the move.

Experience the Teasmade Anglia, new for 2005.

Available in two stunning colours...Earl Grey and Orange Pekoe.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Mary Fisher

"Tofino" wrote in message
oups.com...
Owain wrote:
One would think that 100 years later the internal combustion engine
manufacturers would catch up with the idea of a cuppa on the move.

Experience the Teasmade Anglia, new for 2005.

Tell us more!

Mary

Robert Harvey

Owain wrote:

One would think that 100 years later the internal combustion engine
manufacturers would catch up with the idea of a cuppa on the move.

Experience the Teasmade Anglia, new for 2005.

Available in two stunning colours...Earl Grey and Orange Pekoe.

I had once a wonderful buk called 'rallying to Monte Carlo' which
described an jaguar with a special metal cup built into the water
cooling loop. A tin of soup could be placed inside (presumably
pre-perforated) and became heated very quickly. Some time in 1955 I goove.
Guy King

The message
from Robert Harvey contains these words:

I had once a wonderful buk called 'rallying to Monte Carlo' which
described an jaguar with a special metal cup built into the water
cooling loop. A tin of soup could be placed inside (presumably
pre-perforated) and became heated very quickly. Some time in 1955 I goove.

When I finally get round to getting on with the Avion
(http://www.oakes.co.uk/pictures.html) I intend to molish a water jacket
to go round part of the exhaust, rather like the demister's air stove.

--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.

Peter Thomas

In message , Robert Harvey
writes

Owain wrote:

One would think that 100 years later the internal combustion engine
manufacturers would catch up with the idea of a cuppa on the move.

Experience the Teasmade Anglia, new for 2005.

Available in two stunning colours...Earl Grey and Orange Pekoe.

I had once a wonderful buk called 'rallying to Monte Carlo' which
described an jaguar with a special metal cup built into the water
cooling loop. A tin of soup could be placed inside (presumably
pre-perforated) and became heated very quickly. Some time in 1955 I
goove.

Did that have the driving fast, stopping, stepping out and falling over
on black ice story?
--
Peter Thomas

Mary Fisher

"Robert Harvey" wrote in message

Some time in 1955 I goove.

Goove?

Mary

Robert Harvey

Peter Thomas wrote:
I had once a wonderful buk called 'rallying to Monte Carlo' which
described an jaguar with a special metal cup built into the water
cooling loop. A tin of soup could be placed inside (presumably
pre-perforated) and became heated very quickly. Some time in 1955 I
goove.

Did that have the driving fast, stopping, stepping out and falling over
on black ice story?

That was the one. Do you have my copy?
Robert Harvey

Mary Fisher wrote:
Goove?

Ah, sorry. Shedspeak. "think" -ROT13- "Guvax"

It's customary on usenet to rot13 rude words. In the shedde the rudest
words are those implying personal physical effort or excessive zeal at
organisation in things.
Robert Harvey

Peter Thomas wrote:
Did that have the driving fast, stopping, stepping out and falling over
on black ice story?

Mike Couper - That was he.
Mary Fisher

"Peter Thomas" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Robert Harvey" wrote in message

Some time in 1955 I goove.

Goove?

The Shed. Evolved from RoT-13 Guvax.

Oh.

Er ... thank you.

I think ...

Mary
still puzzled

--
Peter Thomas

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:
Goove?

Ah, sorry. Shedspeak. "think" -ROT13- "Guvax"

It's customary on usenet to rot13 rude words. In the shedde the rudest
words are those implying personal physical effort or excessive zeal at
organisation in things.

Ah. Think. Is think a rude word then?

Mary

Guy King

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Ah. Think. Is think a rude word then?

It implies rather more xrrarff and rssbeg than we prefer.

--
Skipweasel.
In the beginning was the word.
And the word was Aardvark.

Bob Eager

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:19:37 UTC, Guy King
wrote:

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Ah. Think. Is think a rude word then?

It implies rather more xrrarff and rssbeg than we prefer.

Hmm. I see why you need to rot13 with words like those.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Robert E A Harvey

Peter Thomas wrote:
That was the one. Do you have my copy?

Possibly. It may well be that either my father or I acquired a correctly
not-arj copy. Where did yours go?

Oh come on. How am I supposed to know THAT? It went /away/, like all
good buks.
Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Ah. Think. Is think a rude word then?

It implies rather more xrrarff and rssbeg than we prefer.

Well, there is that ...

I don't do much of any of them.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quickest way to boil a kettle, in a car?

The stainless thermos is not the same as a vacuum flask,a good vacuum flask will keep water at a higher temperature for 24 hours,the stainless only keep hottish for 8 to 10 hours,if you read carefully you will see that stainless thermos never say it's a vacuum flask otherwise trading standards would be straight on to them.
hope this help Alan231
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

wrote in message
The stainless thermos is not the same as a vacuum flask,a good vacuum
flask will keep water at a higher temperature for 24 hours,the stainless
only keep hottish for 8 to 10 hours,if you read carefully you will see
that stainless thermos never say it's a vacuum flask otherwise trading
standards would be straight on to them.
hope this help Alan231

Aren't stainless steel flasks vacuum flasks - the only difference being that
they are made of metal rather than glass which is more fragile. Or do steel
flasks have insulation padding between the inner and outer skins, rather
than a vacuum?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 09:51:17 +0100, "NY" wrote:

wrote in message
The stainless thermos is not the same as a vacuum flask,a good vacuum
flask will keep water at a higher temperature for 24 hours,the stainless
only keep hottish for 8 to 10 hours,if you read carefully you will see
that stainless thermos never say it's a vacuum flask otherwise trading
standards would be straight on to them.
hope this help Alan231

Aren't stainless steel flasks vacuum flasks - the only difference being
that
they are made of metal rather than glass which is more fragile. Or do
steel
flasks have insulation padding between the inner and outer skins, rather
than a vacuum?

I had the same thought. Whether the OP means any form of SS generic
'thermos' flask, or specifically those made by Thermos, isn't clear.
There are plenty of adverts out there for SS vacuum flasks. OTOH it
wouldn't surprise me if the cheaper ones are not true vacuum flasks
but are as you describe, with some form of insulation material between
the walls. Having said that, I see the supposedly genuine Thermos
flasks on the John Lewis web site don't describe themselves as vacuum
flasks, although other flasks there, do. http://tinyurl.com/ybqtzf39

I always assumed that the reason hot things cool a little faster in SS
flasks was because SS has a thermal conductivity roughly ten times
that of glass.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...conductivities and
scroll down a long way.

Yes, presumably when the inside skin heats up, the heat conducts to the neck
of the flask (AIUI, the only part where there is contact between inside and
outside skins).

I can never look at one of the modern wide-necked stainless steel flasks
nowadays without remembering a woman that I used to work with. She was one
of a group of us who went to lunch each day in the work canteen. One
lunchtime, when she was about half-way through her lunch, she pulled a large
flask out of her bag and proceeded to tip the uneaten dinner into the
flask - a sort of vacuum flask doggy-bag. One of my colleagues gave her a
look with spoke volumes - "WTF are you doing" - because she put her pud in
with her main course :-(

She explained that she sometimes got hungry in the middle of the afternoon
and her blood sugar got low, so she saved some of her lunch to eat later on.
Excellent idea, but the idea of mixing her pud in with her roast beef and
potatoes was very weird. Prior to this, she'd intrigued some of us by eating
her pud *before* her main course - and my wife and I still use her name
("let's have a Jane-snack") to describe having a dessert (eg some biscuits
or a cake) before the savoury part (sandwiches etc) when we're having a
picnic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It was a reply to a long thread in March 2005 from someone who patently
disagrees with those who find stainless steel flasks perfectly serviceable.

I think they are fine. And, as with all flasks, extended life can be
achieved with a few offcuts of insulating foam board, a sleeping bag, a
duvet, etc etc

On 04/10/2017 15:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
What???
Where did this spring from?
Brian

[top-posted for Brian's screen reader]

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
wrote in message
The stainless thermos is not the same as a vacuum flask,a good vacuum
flask will keep water at a higher temperature for 24 hours,the stainless
only keep hottish for 8 to 10 hours,if you read carefully you will see
that stainless thermos never say it's a vacuum flask otherwise trading
standards would be straight on to them.
hope this help Alan231

Aren't stainless steel flasks vacuum flasks - the only difference being
that they are made of metal rather than glass which is more fragile. Or do
steel flasks have insulation padding between the inner and outer skins,
rather than a vacuum?

They're both vacuum, but it's possible that the steel ones don't keep the
contents hot for as long as the glass ones because the neck connection
between the inner and outer is thermally conductive steel rather than
insulating glass.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave W
wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
wrote in message
The stainless thermos is not the same as a vacuum flask,a good vacuum
flask will keep water at a higher temperature for 24 hours,the
stainless only keep hottish for 8 to 10 hours,if you read carefully
you will see that stainless thermos never say it's a vacuum flask
otherwise trading standards would be straight on to them. hope this
help Alan231

Aren't stainless steel flasks vacuum flasks - the only difference being
that they are made of metal rather than glass which is more fragile.
Or do steel flasks have insulation padding between the inner and outer
skins, rather than a vacuum?

They're both vacuum, but it's possible that the steel ones don't keep the
contents hot for as long as the glass ones because the neck connection
between the inner and outer is thermally conductive steel rather than
insulating glass.

but - the steel ones don't break if you drop them ;-))

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"charles" wrote in message
Aren't stainless steel flasks vacuum flasks - the only difference being
that they are made of metal rather than glass which is more fragile.
Or do steel flasks have insulation padding between the inner and outer
skins, rather than a vacuum?

They're both vacuum, but it's possible that the steel ones don't keep the
contents hot for as long as the glass ones because the neck connection
between the inner and outer is thermally conductive steel rather than
insulating glass.

but - the steel ones don't break if you drop them ;-))

Couldn't they use a non-conducting (plastic) ring to join the inner and
outer skins, or would there be problems keeping this air-tight to maintain
the vacuum?

Alternatively, I wonder why there aren't vacuum flasks which are all-plastic
(eliminating the need for a plastic-steel joint at the neck).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2017 18:15, NY wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
Aren't stainless steel flasks vacuum flasks - the only difference
being
that they are made of metal rather than glass which is more fragile.
Or do steel flasks have insulation padding between the inner and outer
skins, rather than a vacuum?

They're both vacuum, but it's possible that the steel ones don't keep
the
contents hot for as long as the glass ones because the neck connection
between the inner and outer is thermally conductive steel rather than
insulating glass.

When I've broken a flask I've never seen a steel neck connector left
over among all the glass. Once upon a time maybe. But not for many
years now. See eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbuwzLaDa8U

but - the steel ones don't break if you drop them ;-))

Couldn't they use a non-conducting (plastic) ring to join the inner and
outer skins, or would there be problems keeping this air-tight to
maintain the vacuum?

Alternatively, I wonder why there aren't vacuum flasks which are
all-plastic (eliminating the need for a plastic-steel joint at the neck).

Is there a plastic at a reasonable price with the rigidity necessary to
sustain a partial vacuum?

PS

When I buy a Thermos with the space in the stopper for sugar etc I cut a
piece of Kingspan etc to be a tight friction fit it. I've not measured
the effect on heat loss but it certainly stops the top of the stopper
getting so warm.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
On 04/10/2017 18:15, NY wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
[...]

More that glass is cheaper and the manufacturer doesn’t
care if you break it, they get to flog you another one.

When I buy a Thermos with the space in the stopper for sugar etc I cut a
piece of Kingspan etc to be a tight friction fit it. I've not measured
the effect on heat loss but it certainly stops the top of the stopper
getting so warm.

Electric Kettle - Impedance to earth Michael Chare UK diy 6 November 18th 04 08:50 PM
Kettle semi-not working Arthur UK diy 6 October 7th 04 07:53 PM
To Boil or Not Phil Woodturning 10 July 15th 04 09:34 PM
Phillips Kettle Repair? BraileTrail UK diy 6 March 22nd 04 02:43 AM
use soap or boil green wood kma Woodturning 1 December 1st 03 01:29 AM