mikeyw

Default How many downlighters in a bathroom ?

Is there a general rule of thumb for deciding upon the number of
downlighters fitted in a bathroom ?

I am hoping to fit 50W chrome downlighters into my smallish bathroom
and can't decide on the number. The ceiling space is only 3.55m
squared so I was thinking along the lines of 4 or 5 downlighters
giving 200 or 250W in total.

Does this seem about right or will 5 be too many ?

The suite is plain white and I will position a very large mirror on
one wall to try and make the bathroom feel larger.

Any recommendations or methods to adopt here ?

Do you really have to have the waterproof ones above the bath ? - I
mean it would be one heck of a splash to get water right up to the
ceiling !

TIA,
Mike.
RichardS

"mikeyw" wrote in message
om...
Is there a general rule of thumb for deciding upon the number of
downlighters fitted in a bathroom ?

I am hoping to fit 50W chrome downlighters into my smallish bathroom
and can't decide on the number. The ceiling space is only 3.55m
squared so I was thinking along the lines of 4 or 5 downlighters
giving 200 or 250W in total.

Does this seem about right or will 5 be too many ?

The suite is plain white and I will position a very large mirror on
one wall to try and make the bathroom feel larger.

Any recommendations or methods to adopt here ?

Do you really have to have the waterproof ones above the bath ? - I
mean it would be one heck of a splash to get water right up to the
ceiling !

TIA,
Mike.

You'll need sunglasses to walk in there with that lot on!

I fitted 6x20W downlighters to a previous bathroom, that was perhaps 3m x
1.8m, and that gave a very high level of light. 50W lamps would have been
way too much. Go wide angle lamps rather than the spots, and for bathrooms
they need to be the glass-fronted enclosed type. I assume we're talking 12v
elv here?

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Tony Eva

RichardS wrote:
"mikeyw" wrote in message
om...

Is there a general rule of thumb for deciding upon the number of
downlighters fitted in a bathroom ?

I fitted 6x20W downlighters to a previous bathroom, that was perhaps 3m x
1.8m, and that gave a very high level of light.

I'd second that, I fitted 4x50W 12V downlighters in my (approx)
2.5m x 2.5m bathroom and it's rather too bright. I'm planning to
replace them with 35W, or maybe 20W, lamps at some point (probably
as and when they expire naturally).

Remember that downlighters create quite distinct pools of light -
even the 35 degree ones - and so e.g. 5x20W is better than 2x50W.
I have heard of glass diffusers that clip over the downlighters, to
produce a more even spread of light, but I haven't actually seen
any to be able to judge how effective they are.

--
Tony
Dorothy Bradbury

Spiders wearing shades...
** T h e A r a c h n i d B l u e s B r o t h e r s **

Ok, that jokes going down the drain.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
Now with all perfect wiring.

John Rumm

mikeyw wrote:

Is there a general rule of thumb for deciding upon the number of
downlighters fitted in a bathroom ?

I am hoping to fit 50W chrome downlighters into my smallish bathroom
and can't decide on the number. The ceiling space is only 3.55m
squared so I was thinking along the lines of 4 or 5 downlighters
giving 200 or 250W in total.

I did four 35W 12V downlights in a small shower room (about 1.6 by 2.2m)
and that gives a nice even coverage of the room from the lower half down
(i.e. the top of the walls are less well illuminated than the lower half
and the floor). This is the effect I was trying to achieve, however you
may find that wall washers will work better if you want more even top to
bottom lighting.

Does this seem about right or will 5 be too many ?

Probably too many... If you use the 12V lights then the colour of the
light tends to be whiter and closer to daylight.

The suite is plain white and I will position a very large mirror on
one wall to try and make the bathroom feel larger.

Any recommendations or methods to adopt here ?

Do you really have to have the waterproof ones above the bath ? - I
mean it would be one heck of a splash to get water right up to the
ceiling !

Does the bath have a shower? Personally I would stick to the waterproof
ones given the room is small.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Tony Eva wrote:

Remember that downlighters create quite distinct pools of light -
even the 35 degree ones - and so e.g. 5x20W is better than 2x50W.

It does depend on ceiling height a bit. I have been in a small loo where
the only illumination was 2 50W mains halogen downlights, and the
lighting was actuially quite pleasent and even due to the ceiling being
10' high.

--
Cheers,

John.

Tony Eva

John Rumm wrote:
... I have been in a small loo where
the only illumination was 2 50W mains halogen downlights, and the
lighting was actuially quite pleasent and even due to the ceiling being
10' high.

That's true, though 10' high ceilings are hardly the norm :-)

Another consideration when planning the lighting is that (in my
experience) it's better to angle the downlighters, perhaps onto the
adjacent wall, so that the lighting is more indirect than directly from
above. Again, in my bathroom, I placed one light above the basin and
the downward light is not especially flattering when looking in the mirror.

--
Tony

David M

mikeyw wrote:
Is there a general rule of thumb for deciding upon the number of
downlighters fitted in a bathroom ?

I am hoping to fit 50W chrome downlighters into my smallish bathroom
and can't decide on the number. The ceiling space is only 3.55m
squared so I was thinking along the lines of 4 or 5 downlighters
giving 200 or 250W in total.

Everyone has different preferences but I would find this way too bright, Our
bathroom is approx 2.5x2.5m and I only used 4 x20W 12V halogens and find it
perfectly adequate. But the relative position of the lights will play a part.

Does this seem about right or will 5 be too many ?

The suite is plain white and I will position a very large mirror on
one wall to try and make the bathroom feel larger.

the positioning of the downlighters will make a big difference, as the light
they give off is fairly directional. Try and locate one between where you
might stand and wher etha mirror is to give good illumination when using it.
(alternatively stick one on the wall above the mirror)

Any recommendations or methods to adopt here ?

Do you really have to have the waterproof ones above the bath ? - I
mean it would be one heck of a splash to get water right up to the
ceiling !

Again it depends on exactly where the light is positioned and how high your
ceiling is. This site has a reasonable explantion of the various zones and
the requirements.
http://www.diydata.com/electrics/bat..._electrics.htm

regards

David

Ian Middleton

"David M" wrote in message
mikeyw wrote:
[...]

My house ensuite shower room was supplied with 4 x 50W downlighters. I
changed the switch to a 2 gang one so that one down light was on one gang
and other 3 on other gang. This is so you can turn the light on in the
middle of night without blinding yourself, works fine. Just have to remember
to just switch one switch is caught short in the middle of the night...

R Taylor

RichardS wrote:
"mikeyw" wrote in message
[...]

could always use a pull-cord dimmer switch like this:

http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/bigprod.asp?id=2429

£32.00 ish from http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk

search for dimmers / page 9

hth

RT

mikeyw

My bathroom is small - 1.8m x 2.2m. I've got 6 x 50w. And contrary to
the others who say it would be too bright, it's not. It's just right.

MJ

Wow - as mine is slightly smaller i think i'll try 5 x 50W then. I can
always fit a dimmer as a get out clause in case it is too bright.

Are you using angled DL's or fixed ?
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
David M writes:

There must be a batch of _very_ low efficiency 50W bulbs going about, is all
that I can think. :-)

Most lamps are _very_ low efficiency if you use the
floor as a reflector to light the rest of the room.

I have a rather brightly lit bathroom with 42W of lighting
(actually, probably ~45W with control gear losses).
Since this is a DIY newsgroup, I'll add that I made a
substatial part of the lights myself too ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
David M

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
David M writes:

There must be a batch of _very_ low efficiency 50W bulbs going about, is all
that I can think. :-)

Most lamps are _very_ low efficiency if you use the
floor as a reflector to light the rest of the room.

Yes , this is the issue. They could easily use a 35W or even 20W bulb and
they would probably not notice the difference as 90% of the light ends up on
the floor.

cheers

David
Lurch

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:30:21 +0000, David M
strung together this:

Good, not just me then! I've got a 3m x 2m ish bathroom with 4 x 50W
GU10s, 1 x 50W 12V showerlight and 2 60W wall light spot affairs. Just
about right I'd say.

There must be a batch of _very_ low efficiency 50W bulbs going about, is all
that I can think. :-)

Think I could downrate the lamps and not notice too much difference.
backpedalling
The room doesn't have a window so it is quite depressing when it's
underlit.
I'd like to point out that they're on seperate switches so they're not
always on all together.
/backpedalling
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd

John Rumm

David M wrote:

There must be a batch of _very_ low efficiency 50W bulbs going about, is
all that I can think. :-)

The response of the eye is non linear anyway, so to get illumination
that looks twice as bright as 50W you will need way more than 100W.

--
Cheers,

John.

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:33:13 +0000, Tony Eva wrote:

wrote:

My bathroom is small - 1.8m x 2.2m. I've got 6 x 50w. And contrary to
the others who say it would be too bright, it's not. It's just right.

Wow. What colour are the floors, walls and fittings? I suppose a lot
depends on personal taste as well - you would appear to prefer your
bathroom well lit :-)

Ok, I have to admit there's a mix of black (granite actually) and
white, but I had the lights installed and running for some time with
just plain plastered walls and it was still ok. And now it's still
about 75% white. I do like bright lighting, but nobody has ever
complained or even commented on it being too bright.

I find it irritating that every light fitting you pick up says 60w
max, which is little brighter than a couple of candles. It makes me
wonder what these light fitting manufacturers think 100w bulbs are
for. So what happens to all the 100w bulbs you see on the shelves?
Probably bought by people like me who ignore the 60w max warning with
no ill effect.

Halogen uplighters appear to have taken a downturn as well. They all
used to be 500w. When I came to replace one a year or so ago all I
could find were 300w max ones. I tried one, and instead of the bright
white light I had before, it was a yellow. I examined the dimmer box
and it said 500w max. The construction hasn't changed. So I put a 500w
bulb in and it has been ok.

MJ
David M

John Rumm wrote:
David M wrote:

There must be a batch of _very_ low efficiency 50W bulbs going about,
is all that I can think. :-)

The response of the eye is non linear anyway, so to get illumination
that looks twice as bright as 50W you will need way more than 100W.

Yes the response of the eye is fairly complex, and the point you raise, is
another good argument why many of the posters, with a couple of hundred
Watts worth of bulbs in a small space, probably would only see a minor
reduction in the effective lighting if they halved the wattage.

cheers

David
Chris J Dixon

RichardS wrote:

"mikeyw" wrote in message
. com...
Is there a general rule of thumb for deciding upon the number of
downlighters fitted in a bathroom ?

I am hoping to fit 50W chrome downlighters into my smallish bathroom
and can't decide on the number. The ceiling space is only 3.55m
squared so I was thinking along the lines of 4 or 5 downlighters
giving 200 or 250W in total.

Does this seem about right or will 5 be too many ?

You'll need sunglasses to walk in there with that lot on!

I fitted 6x20W downlighters to a previous bathroom, that was perhaps 3m x
1.8m, and that gave a very high level of light. 50W lamps would have been
way too much. Go wide angle lamps rather than the spots, and for bathrooms
they need to be the glass-fronted enclosed type. I assume we're talking 12v
elv here?

I have used 6 x 35W in a room 2m x 2.5m and it is about right.
As with any downlighter scheme, the ceiling is darker and the
coverage is a little patchy.

If you fit

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ull/index.html

together with dimmable transformer(s), then for times when it
feels a bit bright, you can set it to suit yourself. It is
working well for me.

I have got hold of some ultra-wide angle bulbs, but the aperture
size of the glass fronted fitting obviously has a limiting effect
on this.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Doctor D

It seems as though I'm the only one here who would be terrified by the
electricity bill when the kids or visiting in-laws left 300 watts of
lighting on all night repeatedly! I'd be fitting a timer or a motion
detector (!) :-)

---

Doctor D wrote:
It seems as though I'm the only one here who would be terrified by the
electricity bill when the kids or visiting in-laws left 300 watts of
lighting on all night repeatedly! I'd be fitting a timer or a motion
detector (!) :-)

300 watts, that's 7.2kW/day if left on continuously, about 50p/day.

--
Chris Green
Doctor D

wrote in message ...
Doctor D wrote:
It seems as though I'm the only one here who would be terrified by the
electricity bill when the kids or visiting in-laws left 300 watts of
lighting on all night repeatedly! I'd be fitting a timer or a motion
detector (!) :-)

300 watts, that's 7.2kW/day if left on continuously, about 50p/day.

Yep, or about £15.50 per month.
I currently pay about £25 per month for all our electricity for a family of
4 in a 4 bedroom house with a dishwasher and tumble dryer in regular use. We
have CFL's fitted wherever possible, although in a rash moment I agreed to
fit 12 x 20 watt halogen downlighters in our kitchen! They don't get much
use as we tend to rely on the 13 watt florrie tubes under the cupboards
which tend to run continuously from about 5pm to 11pm.

I'm not really convinced by halogens/downlighters. They look great in the
ceiling, but don't have the light spread of florries, are not cheap to run
(comparatively) and the lamps seem to need changing frequently.

---

Doctor D wrote:

wrote in message ...
Doctor D wrote:
It seems as though I'm the only one here who would be terrified by the
electricity bill when the kids or visiting in-laws left 300 watts of
lighting on all night repeatedly! I'd be fitting a timer or a motion
detector (!) :-)

300 watts, that's 7.2kW/day if left on continuously, about 50p/day.

Yep, or about £15.50 per month.

If left on 24 hours/day for the whole month, rather more than would
be likely in reality (and as I pointed out if you are on economy 7 it
would be considerably less).

--
Chris Green
Doctor D

wrote in message ...
Doctor D wrote:

wrote in message

Doctor D wrote:
It seems as though I'm the only one here who would be terrified by

the
electricity bill when the kids or visiting in-laws left 300 watts of
lighting on all night repeatedly! I'd be fitting a timer or a motion
detector (!) :-)

300 watts, that's 7.2kW/day if left on continuously, about 50p/day.

Yep, or about £15.50 per month.

If left on 24 hours/day for the whole month, rather more than would
be likely in reality (and as I pointed out if you are on economy 7 it
would be considerably less).

Changing to Economy 7 just because my father in law can't remember to switch
off lights is a bit dramatic :-)

I'm paranoid about wasting electricity - it runs in the family, my father's
mad as well! I've found myself developing his habit of closing doors whilst
muttering "Were you born in a barn" at my kids. The hours just whizz by here
you know - I really must get out more.

---

Bathroom fans improperly vented jeff Home Repair 11 June 4th 04 05:30 PM
Bathroom Mirror. Terry Home Repair 2 May 2nd 04 10:42 PM
Bathroom Paint - Required? Charles Middleton UK diy 7 March 12th 04 01:08 AM
Wood Floor in Bathroom Rob Gray Home Repair 5 February 23rd 04 04:28 AM
Advice on bathroom lighting in shallow false ceiling [email protected] UK diy 8 October 28th 03 05:54 PM