David M

mikeyw wrote:
Is there a general rule of thumb for deciding upon the number of
downlighters fitted in a bathroom ?

I am hoping to fit 50W chrome downlighters into my smallish bathroom
and can't decide on the number. The ceiling space is only 3.55m
squared so I was thinking along the lines of 4 or 5 downlighters
giving 200 or 250W in total.

Everyone has different preferences but I would find this way too bright, Our
bathroom is approx 2.5x2.5m and I only used 4 x20W 12V halogens and find it
perfectly adequate. But the relative position of the lights will play a part.

Does this seem about right or will 5 be too many ?

The suite is plain white and I will position a very large mirror on
one wall to try and make the bathroom feel larger.

the positioning of the downlighters will make a big difference, as the light
they give off is fairly directional. Try and locate one between where you
might stand and wher etha mirror is to give good illumination when using it.
(alternatively stick one on the wall above the mirror)

Any recommendations or methods to adopt here ?

Do you really have to have the waterproof ones above the bath ? - I
mean it would be one heck of a splash to get water right up to the
ceiling !

Again it depends on exactly where the light is positioned and how high your
ceiling is. This site has a reasonable explantion of the various zones and
the requirements.
http://www.diydata.com/electrics/bat..._electrics.htm

regards

David