Doctor D

wrote in message ...
Doctor D wrote:
It seems as though I'm the only one here who would be terrified by the
electricity bill when the kids or visiting in-laws left 300 watts of
lighting on all night repeatedly! I'd be fitting a timer or a motion
detector (!) :-)

300 watts, that's 7.2kW/day if left on continuously, about 50p/day.

Yep, or about £15.50 per month.
I currently pay about £25 per month for all our electricity for a family of
4 in a 4 bedroom house with a dishwasher and tumble dryer in regular use. We
have CFL's fitted wherever possible, although in a rash moment I agreed to
fit 12 x 20 watt halogen downlighters in our kitchen! They don't get much
use as we tend to rely on the 13 watt florrie tubes under the cupboards
which tend to run continuously from about 5pm to 11pm.

I'm not really convinced by halogens/downlighters. They look great in the
ceiling, but don't have the light spread of florries, are not cheap to run
(comparatively) and the lamps seem to need changing frequently.

---