Default Advice on bathroom lighting in shallow false ceiling

We're still mulling over ideas for the lighting in the refurbished
bathroom at our flat.

The basic plan is now fairly well defined, six downlighters in a false
ceiling which we will put up. The existing ceiling is quite high and
is concrete or similar so making holes in that for downlighters is out.

How much light should one need in a 2.5 metre by 1.5 metre bathroom
with virtually no outside light (it just has a narrow window onto a
stairwell)? I guess the choices are 6 x 20 watt, 6 x 35 watt or 6 x
50 watt.

We're thinking of using MDF for the ceiling rather than plasterboard
on the basis that it will be easier to work with and it might be more
practical to make one or two panels removable for access. Does this
sound like a good idea or not?

What's the minimum depth that downlighters need? I'm a bit worried
about the heat in the (small) void between the downlighters and the
real ceiling. I've no worries about the real ceiling being flammable
as it's cement or something similar but what about the MDF and the
battens used to hold it etc.?

Any comments on whether mains or low voltage downlighters would be
better? A couple of them need to be IPx4 and I can't find many
downlighters that quote the IP rating. In addition we'd like two
matching (or at least similar) eyeball (i.e. swivelling) downlighters
for above the washbasin.

--
Chris Green )
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

I'd go for 6x50W as the bulbs are a bit more robust.

300W spread over the area of the ceiling - 3.75 sq meters - is less than
100W/sq meter. That is about what my underfloor heating kicks out at
full crack. If you are worried, use plasterboard rather than MDF. That
will take a deal of heat. Or even Masterboard (multiboard) which is
'asbestos replacement' board

If you are worried about heat also, youi could run fat '50A' cable from
a remote toroidal to the lights rather than tuck transformers up in the
void. I'd avoid electronic transformers vbeacuse of the possibility of
damp,. and the blasted buzzing they produce.

Use the special bathroom fitments where spalshing is likely.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I'd go for 6x50W as the bulbs are a bit more robust.

But do we actually need that much light in a 2.5 x 1.5 metre bathroom?
Also I would have thought that low voltage 35 or 20 watt lamps would
be pretty robust.

300W spread over the area of the ceiling - 3.75 sq meters - is less than
100W/sq meter. That is about what my underfloor heating kicks out at
full crack. If you are worried, use plasterboard rather than MDF. That
will take a deal of heat. Or even Masterboard (multiboard) which is
'asbestos replacement' board

How easy is Masterboard (or Supalux) to work with? Is it similar to
ordinary plasterboard, better, worse or what?

If you are worried about heat also, youi could run fat '50A' cable from
a remote toroidal to the lights rather than tuck transformers up in the
void. I'd avoid electronic transformers vbeacuse of the possibility of
damp,. and the blasted buzzing they produce.

That's not really an option as there really is nowhere to put it.

Use the special bathroom fitments where spalshing is likely.

Er yes, but what I'm after is matching plain downlighters and
swivelling ones. I was hoping someone might be able to point me in
the direction of a manufacturer/supplier who has matching ones with
the required IP rating.

--
Chris Green )
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I'd go for 6x50W as the bulbs are a bit more robust.

But do we actually need that much light in a 2.5 x 1.5 metre bathroom?
Also I would have thought that low voltage 35 or 20 watt lamps would
be pretty robust.

*shrug* I like teh 50W units. Nice and bright and tough. YMMV

I reckon that a square meter per 50W is about right.

About the right amount to heat a well insulated room as well :-)

300W spread over the area of the ceiling - 3.75 sq meters - is less than
100W/sq meter. That is about what my underfloor heating kicks out at
full crack. If you are worried, use plasterboard rather than MDF. That
will take a deal of heat. Or even Masterboard (multiboard) which is
'asbestos replacement' board

How easy is Masterboard (or Supalux) to work with? Is it similar to
ordinary plasterboard, better, worse or what?

Oh, its almost better - its a lot stronger than plasterboard - its
gyspum filled with I think chopped glass strand. Think 'asbestos roof'
and hats the sort of brittleness, tho its easier to cut with a padsaw etc.

Have to be a little carefil banging nails throough it - i'd drill and
screw as per MDF, then fill the heads and paint.

If you are worried about heat also, youi could run fat '50A' cable from
a remote toroidal to the lights rather than tuck transformers up in the
void. I'd avoid electronic transformers vbeacuse of the possibility of
damp,. and the blasted buzzing they produce.

That's not really an option as there really is nowhere to put it.

Use the special bathroom fitments where spalshing is likely.

Er yes, but what I'm after is matching plain downlighters and
swivelling ones. I was hoping someone might be able to point me in
the direction of a manufacturer/supplier who has matching ones with
the required IP rating.

They all look pretty much teh same - white,chrome or brass rim with or
without eyeball. Screwfix must do em. I got cheapos from newey and eyre
and they have been fine. I also used their individual toroids. Pretty
good BUT they need air round em or the overheat and cut out. However
they are hard to fit after the ceiling cos they are almost to wiode to
pop through the holes. If I has to do what you are doing I might well
add an access hole and use ne socking big transformer, and wire from
that. 300W toroids are not that huge. AND it sounds like you have space
above the new ceiling.

N. Thornton wrote:

I wouldnt recommend these downlighters myself. They're in vogue at the
mo, but sooner or later will be uninstalled in large numbers due to
their downsides. Its only a matter of time.

Well the sample I've seen I quite like, though I don't in general like
downlighters I think they do work quite well in bathrooms.

In most cases I'd put spots on the wall and point them up at the
ceiling. Pick spots that you can put ordinary CFLs in. Better
lighting, much more energy efficient, no glare.

.... and very unsuitable for a bathroom surely.

--
Chris Green )

Bathroom lights - what's allowed/required? [email protected] UK diy 16 October 15th 03 11:26 PM
bathroom lighting - IP65? IP44? IP20? rob c UK diy 1 September 28th 03 04:46 PM
LV Lighting in Bathroom Jeff UK diy 8 August 22nd 03 04:35 PM
Halogen Lighting in Bathroom Ian Clarke UK diy 15 August 1st 03 10:25 AM
Bathroom Ceiling Finish rakster UK diy 1 July 10th 03 12:04 PM