PeterCB

Default I want to buy a cordless drill

Good for youI hear you say!

Don't want to spend to much £80.
What do you recommend?
Needs 2 x batteries - Hammer not important.

Any online sites that you care to mention.

Pete

IMM

"PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote in message
Good for youI hear you say!

Don't want to spend to much £80.
What do you recommend?
Needs 2 x batteries - Hammer not important.

Any online sites that you care to mention.

Pete

New just out. In that price range. Ryobi CMD-1442 with 2 speed gearbox, 3
batteries, one hour charger and aluminium case. £85 +VAT on offer. V nice
drill. www.protrade.co.uk

Malc

"IMM" wrote in message

"PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote in message
Good for youI hear you say!

Don't want to spend to much £80.
What do you recommend?
Needs 2 x batteries - Hammer not important.

Any online sites that you care to mention.

Pete

New just out. In that price range. Ryobi CMD-1442 with 2 speed gearbox,

3
batteries, one hour charger and aluminium case. £85 +VAT on offer. V nice
drill. www.protrade.co.uk

But fails the less than £80 test though.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/home.jsp

Home page a DeWalt cordless £74 down from £104.

--
MAlc

PeterCB

"IMM" wrote in message

"PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote in message
Good for youI hear you say!

Don't want to spend to much £80.
What do you recommend?
Needs 2 x batteries - Hammer not important.

Any online sites that you care to mention.

Pete

New just out. In that price range. Ryobi CMD-1442 with 2 speed gearbox,
3
batteries, one hour charger and aluminium case. £85 +VAT on offer. V nice
drill. www.protrade.co.uk

Cheers - Are ryobi a good make?

Pete

PeterCB

"Malc" wrote in message
.uk...

But fails the less than £80 test though.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/home.jsp

Home page a DeWalt cordless £74 down from £104.

Thanks for that. I actually got one of these delivered but
sent it back. Gearbox problem!

Can't really trust them now even though I know it was
probably 1 in 100 !

I know I said less than £80 but I would be willing to pay
a little more if persuaded

Pete

Grunff

IMM wrote:

New just out. In that price range. Ryobi CMD-1442 with 2 speed gearbox, 3
batteries, one hour charger and aluminium case. £85 +VAT on offer. V nice
drill. www.protrade.co.uk

Ryobi stuff ain't too bad in general, but I have to say I really don't
like their drills. A friend of mine has the 18V combi, and I've spent a
fair few hours using it. Battery life is very poor for the price range,
and the torque is miserable.

--
Grunff
PeterCB

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

New just out. In that price range. Ryobi CMD-1442 with 2 speed gearbox,
3
batteries, one hour charger and aluminium case. £85 +VAT on offer. V
nice
drill. www.protrade.co.uk

Ryobi stuff ain't too bad in general, but I have to say I really don't
like their drills. A friend of mine has the 18V combi, and I've spent a
fair few hours using it. Battery life is very poor for the price range,
and the torque is miserable.

Thanks for the review! Doesn't sound that impressive.

Pete

Capitol

Malc wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/home.jsp

Home page a DeWalt cordless £74 down from £104.

But you can't phone them up and order it!! Are they trying to force all
their customers onto Internet ordering? Is the telephone workforce still
employed in Yeovil, or has it been transferred to India? I am totally
fed up with the present state of non delivery from MFI, B & Q, Screwfix
and others who cannot deliver a standard product for the best part of
two or three months. Is it only me that is finding that nil stock is the
current status for many High Street stores also.

Regards
Capitol
IMM

"IMM" wrote in message

"PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote in message
Good for youI hear you say!

Don't want to spend to much £80.
What do you recommend?
Needs 2 x batteries - Hammer not important.

Any online sites that you care to mention.

Pete

New just out. In that price range. Ryobi CMD-1442 with 2 speed

gearbox,
3
batteries, one hour charger and aluminium case. £85 +VAT on offer. V

nice
drill. www.protrade.co.uk

Cheers - Are ryobi a good make?

Yes. Japanese company. Or you could spend silly money on a Makita.

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

New just out. In that price range. Ryobi CMD-1442 with 2 speed

gearbox,
3
batteries, one hour charger and aluminium case. £85 +VAT on offer. V
nice
drill. www.protrade.co.uk

Ryobi stuff ain't too bad in general, but I have to say I really don't
like their drills. A friend of mine has the 18V combi, and I've spent a
fair few hours using it. Battery life is very poor for the price range,
and the torque is miserable.

Thanks for the review! Doesn't sound that impressive.

A different drill to the new model.

Grunff

IMM wrote:

A different drill to the new model.

Yes, this is true. But what leads you to believe they have achieved a
quantum leap in performance while keeping within the same price range?

--
Grunff
PeterCB

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

A different drill to the new model.

Yes, this is true.

Agreed.

But what leads you to believe they have achieved a quantum leap in
performance while keeping within the same price range?

Good question!

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
PeterCB no.mail@please wrote:
New just out. In that price range. Ryobi CMD-1442 with 2 speed
gearbox, 3 batteries, one hour charger and aluminium case. £85 +VAT
on offer. V nice drill.

Cheers - Are ryobi a good make?

Don't think it's safe to give a blanket recommendation on the basis of
make these days unless talking about the very top end.

I've got a Ryobi mini drill which has been great - the batteries have
lasted a long time which is a good indication of quality, but others
report different models not lasting well.

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

New just out. In that price range. Ryobi CMD-1442 with 2 speed

gearbox,
3
batteries, one hour charger and aluminium case. £85 +VAT on offer. V
nice
drill. www.protrade.co.uk

Ryobi stuff ain't too bad in general, but I have to say I really don't
like their drills. A friend of mine has the 18V combi, and I've spent

fair few hours using it. Battery life is very poor for the price

range,
and the torque is miserable.

Thanks for the review! Doesn't sound that impressive.

A different drill to the new model.

Wickes have a drill in this price range. A grey rebadged Kress or Germany.

IMM

"Grunff" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

A different drill to the new model.

Yes, this is true.

Agreed.

But what leads you to believe they have achieved a quantum leap in
performance while keeping within the same price range?

Good question!

The new one is on offer and is retailed at £279, so class above.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:59:13 GMT, "PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote:

"IMM" wrote in message

"PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote in message
Good for youI hear you say!

Don't want to spend to much £80.
What do you recommend?
Needs 2 x batteries - Hammer not important.

Any online sites that you care to mention.

Pete

New just out. In that price range. Ryobi CMD-1442 with 2 speed gearbox,
3
batteries, one hour charger and aluminium case. £85 +VAT on offer. V nice
drill. www.protrade.co.uk

Cheers - Are ryobi a good make?

This is questionable. There are a number of different companies
using the Ryobi name - e.g. Home Depot in the U.S. for their in-house
range, which is absolute junk.

I would check very carefully what it is that is being sold here with
the Ryobi label and especially spares availability and service. It
may be reasonable to sling away £20 drills when they break, but at £80
this is not attractive.

There are some very good deals around now on proper Makita 14.4v
drills, which for little more money are a far superior product.

I've got a 14.4v one which I've had for a couple of years and gets
heavy use. The motor control is superb, maintaining excellent torque
at low revs. The decent battery charger and batteries have meant
that I have been able to whole days of almost continuous work with two
batteries.

I looked at 18v drills recently and the 14.4v Makita seems to perform
as well as many of the entry level 18v products. I Ibought the
18v Makita in the U.S. which proved to be quite a bit cheaper than the
UK.

Pete

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Stephen Dawson

"IMM" wrote in message

"PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote in message
Good for youI hear you say!

Don't want to spend to much £80.
What do you recommend?
Needs 2 x batteries - Hammer not important.

Any online sites that you care to mention.

Pete

New just out. In that price range. Ryobi CMD-1442 with 2 speed gearbox,
3
batteries, one hour charger and aluminium case. £85 +VAT on offer. V
nice
drill. www.protrade.co.uk

Cheers - Are ryobi a good make?

Pete

This lot in london are worth a look at. Decent size shopand have been god to
me in the past.

www.itslondon.co.uk

steve

Jim Alexander

"PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote in message
Good for youI hear you say!

Don't want to spend to much £80.
What do you recommend?
Needs 2 x batteries - Hammer not important.

Assuming its your first drill or you might not be asking, if you pick one
you like the balance of with a 2 to 3 year replacement policy you probably
won't go wrong if its DIY you are doing. My first drill was a B&D 8.4V
(RIP). OK I've got a cheap 18V Parkside now which is fine. Even has an
automatic locking chuck normally found only on more expensive brands. OK
its batteries are not brilliant but with 2 and fast charge I always have
power. Its high speed is a fast as a Metabo. I'd really hate it if I still
had an expensive 8.4V Makita or Metabo just because it was still possible to
get spares and service. Who wants to service a 3 year or older drill when
the service costs would exceed the residual value.

Jim A

Grunff

Jim Alexander wrote:

Assuming its your first drill or you might not be asking, if you pick one
you like the balance of with a 2 to 3 year replacement policy you probably
won't go wrong if its DIY you are doing. My first drill was a B&D 8.4V
(RIP). OK I've got a cheap 18V Parkside now which is fine. Even has an
automatic locking chuck normally found only on more expensive brands. OK
its batteries are not brilliant but with 2 and fast charge I always have
power. Its high speed is a fast as a Metabo. I'd really hate it if I still
had an expensive 8.4V Makita or Metabo just because it was still possible to
get spares and service. Who wants to service a 3 year or older drill when
the service costs would exceed the residual value.

But isn't this exactly the same argument that someone might use to
explain why the chose buy a brand new Ford Fiesta rather than a 3-4 year
old top of the range BMW 5 series? Because the new one is *bound* to be
better?

--
Grunff
Jim Alexander

"Grunff" wrote in message

But isn't this exactly the same argument that someone might use to explain
why the chose buy a brand new Ford Fiesta rather than a 3-4 year old top
of the range BMW 5 series? Because the new one is *bound* to be better?

No, that's not the argument I presented at all. Using your analogy I have
compared an older less well equipped small car with a newer larger and
faster car with a 3 year warranty. Don't deny there is a concept of
quality but I suggest that on sales figures more people go for a small range
of popular cars (and change after 2-3 years) than buy BMWs. Sadly I don't
have money to burn.

Jim A

IMM

"IMM" wrote in message

"PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote in message
Good for youI hear you say!

Don't want to spend to much £80.
What do you recommend?
Needs 2 x batteries - Hammer not important.

Any online sites that you care to mention.

Pete

New just out. In that price range. Ryobi CMD-1442 with 2 speed

gearbox,
3
batteries, one hour charger and aluminium case. £85 +VAT on offer. V

nice
drill. www.protrade.co.uk

Cheers - Are ryobi a good make?

This is questionable. There are a number of different companies
using the Ryobi name - e.g. Home Depot in the U.S. for their in-house
range, which is absolute junk.

Any proof of this or are you making this up?

I would check very carefully what it is that is being sold here with
the Ryobi label and especially spares availability and service. It
may be reasonable to sling away £20 drills when they break, but at £80
this is not attractive.

....and Andy now attempts, as usual, to get people to part with their hard
earned cash by buying over priced tools.... here he goes...

There are some very good deals around now on proper Makita 14.4v

......see!

StealthUK

"PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote in message news:BqVdd.772$Li3.327@newsfe1-

Cheers - Are ryobi a good make?

Pete

I posed the same question some time back. I ended up buying a
Panasonic and a Ryobi 18V (STP 1801).
The Panasonic wins but is far more expensive.

I've used the Ryobi more than any other tool and barely touched a
mains drill. It's got a Rohm chuck that has worked flawlessly and the
battery life is superb. Trigger control of speed for screwdriving etc.
is not perfect but you get used to it (and it is a combi!) Overall
it's a solid piece of kit.
I know hammer action is not a major concern for you but if I did have
to buy another tool I'd seriously consider Ryobi stuff.
John Rumm

IMM wrote:

...and Andy now attempts, as usual, to get people to part with their hard
earned cash by buying over priced tools.... here he goes...

In fact the OP can have a Makita for the the *same* money as your
beloved Ryobi:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...0Drivers%2012V

--
Cheers,

John.

IMM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

...and Andy now attempts, as usual, to get people to part with their

hard
earned cash by buying over priced tools.... here he goes...

In fact the OP can have a Makita for the the *same* money as your
beloved Ryobi:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...20Drill%20/%20
Drivers%2012V

only 12 v. The Ryobi has 3 batteries and a 2 yr guarantee to.

Mark Begbie

"PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote in message ...
Good for youI hear you say!

Don't want to spend to much £80.
What do you recommend?
Needs 2 x batteries - Hammer not important.

Any online sites that you care to mention.

Pete

I'm in the same boat - 4.8V electric screwdriver just gives up when
pushing bigger screws.

Anyone know if Worx tools (Homebase and Argos) are any good? I've
seen a 14.4V drill/driver with 2 x 1.5Ah bats and 3 yr warranty for
£45 which looks like a REALLY good deal.

IMM

"Mark Begbie" wrote in message
om...
"PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote in message

Good for youI hear you say!

Don't want to spend to much £80.
What do you recommend?
Needs 2 x batteries - Hammer not important.

Any online sites that you care to mention.

Pete

I'm in the same boat - 4.8V electric screwdriver just gives up when
pushing bigger screws.

Anyone know if Worx tools (Homebase and Argos) are any good? I've
seen a 14.4V drill/driver with 2 x 1.5Ah bats and 3 yr warranty for
£45 which looks like a REALLY good deal.

Probably is, but only if they are 1 hour charge time.

David

"IMM" wrote in message

"PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote in message

"Grunff" wrote in message

snip

But what leads you to believe they have achieved a quantum leap in
performance while keeping within the same price range?

Good question!

The new one is on offer and is retailed at £279, so class above.

You don't genuinely believe that do you?

mike

"IMM" wrote:

Wickes have a drill in this price range. A grey rebadged Kress or Germany.

Wickes rebadged 15.6V Kress was a good buy but they discontinued it in
favour of cheaper Italian models from Casals. Wickes sold off the
£129 Kress ones at £80. The new Casals one started off around the £80
mark. Previous comments on the group have not rated the non-Kress
products at Wickes particularly highly.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
I would check very carefully what it is that is being sold here with
the Ryobi label and especially spares availability and service. It
may be reasonable to sling away £20 drills when they break, but at £80
this is not attractive.

...and Andy now attempts, as usual, to get people to part with their hard
earned cash by buying over priced tools.... here he goes...

I'd say advice from one who actually knows tools and what they should be
used for is more valuable than guesses based on advertising...

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

David

"IMM" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote in message

"Grunff" wrote in message

snip

But what leads you to believe they have achieved a quantum leap in
performance while keeping within the same price range?

Good question!

The new one is on offer and is retailed at £279, so class above.

You don't genuinely believe that do you?

Believe what?

That the retail price is £279 and they have a 75% discount, what a load of
crap. Its a bit like and MFI "sale"

Pete C

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:23:01 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...20Drill%20/%20
Drivers%2012V

only 12 v. The Ryobi has 3 batteries and a 2 yr guarantee to.

Hi,

Best to compare torque, quality of speed control and and weight rather
than battery voltage alone.

The Makita for £96 with 3 batts and a 30 min charger looks excellent
value at ony £16 over the OP's budget.

cheers,
Pete.
IMM

"David" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

"PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote in message

"Grunff" wrote in message
snip

But what leads you to believe they have achieved a quantum leap in
performance while keeping within the same price range?

Good question!

The new one is on offer and is retailed at £279, so class above.

You don't genuinely believe that do you?

Believe what?

That the retail price is £279 and they have a 75% discount, what a load of
crap. Its a bit like and MFI "sale"

The retail price is £279. I don't think anyone will ever sell one at that
price tough. The point is that this is a top pro drill.

IMM

"Pete C" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:23:01 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...%20Drill%20/%2

0
Drivers%2012V

only 12 v. The Ryobi has 3 batteries and a 2 yr guarantee to.

Hi,

Best to compare torque, quality of speed control and and weight rather
than battery voltage alone.

The Makita for £96 with 3 batts and a 30 min charger looks excellent
value at ony £16 over the OP's budget.

He obviously wants a substantial drill. The combi type Ryobi is beefier
than the 12v drill/driver Makita's.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:13:18 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

This is questionable. There are a number of different companies
using the Ryobi name - e.g. Home Depot in the U.S. for their in-house
range, which is absolute junk.

Any proof of this or are you making this up?

Definitely. I have seen these products, touched them and talked to
people with them as well as reading the reviews.

I would check very carefully what it is that is being sold here with
the Ryobi label and especially spares availability and service. It
may be reasonable to sling away £20 drills when they break, but at £80
this is not attractive.

...and Andy now attempts, as usual, to get people to part with their hard
earned cash by buying over priced tools.... here he goes...

There are some very good deals around now on proper Makita 14.4v

.....see!

I don't really mind what people buy - it makes no difference to me.
However, it's rather pointless spending £80 on something of
questionnable origin and servicability when one can get a proper
product for the same or little more.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

"John Rumm" wrote in message
IMM wrote:

...and Andy now attempts, as usual, to get people to part with their

hard
earned cash by buying over priced tools.... here he goes...

In fact the OP can have a Makita for the the *same* money as your
beloved Ryobi:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...20Drill%20/%20
Drivers%2012V

only 12 v. The Ryobi has 3 batteries and a 2 yr guarantee to.

If you look at the reviews, you will discover that a Makita of given
voltage outperforms these OEM products of at least the next higher
voltage. One has to look at motor, speed controller and batteries
to make a proper determination rather than assuming that voltage
correlates to penile length.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:15:37 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Pete C" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:23:01 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...%20Drill%20/%2

0
Drivers%2012V

only 12 v. The Ryobi has 3 batteries and a 2 yr guarantee to.

Hi,

Best to compare torque, quality of speed control and and weight rather
than battery voltage alone.

The Makita for £96 with 3 batts and a 30 min charger looks excellent
value at ony £16 over the OP's budget.

He obviously wants a substantial drill. The combi type Ryobi is beefier
than the 12v drill/driver Makita's.

Because of the "he-man" handle?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

news

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

This is questionable. There are a number of different companies
using the Ryobi name - e.g. Home Depot in the U.S. for their in-house
range, which is absolute junk.

Any proof of this or are you making this up?

Definitely. I have seen these products, touched them and talked to
people with them as well as reading the reviews.

So you are making it up.

I would check very carefully what it is that is being sold here with
the Ryobi label and especially spares availability and service. It
may be reasonable to sling away £20 drills when they break, but at £80
this is not attractive.

...and Andy now attempts, as usual, to get people to part with their hard
earned cash by buying over priced tools.... here he goes...

There are some very good deals around now on proper Makita 14.4v

.....see!

I don't really mind what people buy - it makes no difference to me.
However, it's rather pointless spending £80 on something of
questionnable origin and servicability when one can get a proper
product for the same or little more.

What tripe.

PeterCB

"StealthUK" wrote in message
om...
"PeterCB" no.mail@please wrote in message

Cheers - Are ryobi a good make?

Pete

I posed the same question some time back. I ended up buying a
Panasonic and a Ryobi 18V (STP 1801).
The Panasonic wins but is far more expensive.

I've used the Ryobi more than any other tool and barely touched a
mains drill. It's got a Rohm chuck that has worked flawlessly and the
battery life is superb. Trigger control of speed for screwdriving etc.
is not perfect but you get used to it (and it is a combi!) Overall
it's a solid piece of kit.
I know hammer action is not a major concern for you but if I did have
to buy another tool I'd seriously consider Ryobi stuff.

I haven't read anything yet that would make me
discount the ryobi stuff yet. You've painted a good picture.
I do have a hitatchi sds hammer drill at the moment but
is a bit heavy for light-weight drilling. (shoulder's hurting)

I'd mostly use any new drill I buy on the percussion setting,
although would occasionally use the hammer but for anything
meaty, i'd revert to the hitatchi.

I'd be using it daily for tasks like drilling metal boxes and mounting
panels / control boxes on to block work.

Thanks everyone for your replies - keep it coming