Chris

Default Replacing clutch on cordless drill?

Does anyone know if the clutch is replacable on cordless drills? It's
a Craftsman and yeah, I know it might not be worth replacing, but it
fits my hand well, not too heavy, plenty of power. I really would
like to fix it, besides a new one is not in the budget (maybe Santa
will bring one).

Lesson learned though. I few of my tools are Craftsman and while I
know they are not always the best quality, since I don't use them
every day they are adequate for my purposes. Well, the cordless gets
used at least weekly and was enduring some rough usage this past
weekend. I hit a nail with a spade bit and the clutch went. Probably
a plastic mechanism in there. So as far as cordless drills go,
Craftsman is NOT adequate for my purposes. If I have to replace it I
will get a Panasonic this time.

-Chris
2manytoyz

The good thing about being a Sears model is usually the parts are readily
available (yes, there are exceptions). Go to the Sears homepage, type in
the model number of the product you have, and you should be given an option
to see the diagram. From there, you'll know what you'll need to order. You
can order the parts online and usually get them to your door in 2-3 days.

As for Cordless tools, look at the batteries FIRST. Make a visit to the
local hardware stores, find out if the batteries are common for the product
you want to buy. We've had problems finding batteries for some of our
cordless drills at work. As the model changes, so do the batteries. The
drill then becomes useless.

I've had Makita 9.6V cordless drills for about a decade. I've added several
more to my collection, along with the flashlight and cordless circular saw
(great for trim and drywall). The stick battery used in these are probably
the most common available. Every hardware store in my area carries them. I
don't know of stores that carry a Panasonic battery in my area. Dewalt
cordless products are also very common and batteries should be easy to find
for quite a while.

Other brands break too. I've ordered replacement parts for a Makita
circular saw (corded model) and my Porter Cable belt sander. Both are fixed
and up to speed once again, but my wallet is a bit thinner.

Robert

"Chris" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know if the clutch is replacable on cordless drills? It's
a Craftsman and yeah, I know it might not be worth replacing, but it
fits my hand well, not too heavy, plenty of power. I really would
like to fix it, besides a new one is not in the budget (maybe Santa
will bring one).

Lesson learned though. I few of my tools are Craftsman and while I
know they are not always the best quality, since I don't use them
every day they are adequate for my purposes. Well, the cordless gets
used at least weekly and was enduring some rough usage this past
weekend. I hit a nail with a spade bit and the clutch went. Probably
a plastic mechanism in there. So as far as cordless drills go,
Craftsman is NOT adequate for my purposes. If I have to replace it I
will get a Panasonic this time.

-Chris

AL

Go to www3.sears.com (notice the 3) and see how much a replacement clutch
costs. Have your model number available.

If I were you, I would clean up the drill (so it doesn't look like it has
lived in a job site), then take it to Sears when they're not busy (ie. not a
weekend) and inquire very nicely about getting it replaced. You never know
unless you ask.

"Chris" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know if the clutch is replacable on cordless drills? It's
a Craftsman and yeah, I know it might not be worth replacing, but it
fits my hand well, not too heavy, plenty of power. I really would
like to fix it, besides a new one is not in the budget (maybe Santa
will bring one).

Lesson learned though. I few of my tools are Craftsman and while I
know they are not always the best quality, since I don't use them
every day they are adequate for my purposes. Well, the cordless gets
used at least weekly and was enduring some rough usage this past
weekend. I hit a nail with a spade bit and the clutch went. Probably
a plastic mechanism in there. So as far as cordless drills go,
Craftsman is NOT adequate for my purposes. If I have to replace it I
will get a Panasonic this time.

-Chris

Chris

"AL" wrote in message news:Nd8eb.641073$uu5.104090@sccrnsc04...
Go to www3.sears.com (notice the 3) and see how much a replacement clutch
costs. Have your model number available.

If I were you, I would clean up the drill (so it doesn't look like it has
lived in a job site), then take it to Sears when they're not busy (ie. not a
weekend) and inquire very nicely about getting it replaced. You never know
unless you ask.

Thanks Al, I didn't think of that approach. I might give it a try.

-Chris