Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Light 3 core silicone mains cable?

I can't seem to find a supplier of definable lengths of light silicone
3 core flex to use on things like soldering irons, hot melt glue guns,
small heat guns and the like. The sort of thing that can either get
hot itself or might be where I'm also working with something that is
hot (like a soldering iron).

It's not only for it's tolerance to heat but because often these
things come with a fairly cheap / stiff type of cable that makes it
less accurate to use and can also stop it from being put down and have
it stay (like the hot melt glue gun might be twisted off it's small
stand by the fact that the cable is too unwieldy)? ;-(

I have found loads of places selling 1.2-1.5m lengths of the sort of
thing I want:

https://www.rapidonline.com/antex-re...ng-irons-30215

But I was hoping to be able to buy it in a longer length to cut it
down but not sure I could justify a 50-100m roll (also in the hope it
might be cheaper that way)?

Any pointers appreciated etc (trolls need not reply) ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 12:13, T i m wrote:
[...]

If you can't get exactly what you want, how about using ordinary
lightweight mains cable with silicon tube as sleeving? Or with heatproof
sleeving such as
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Sleeving_1/index.html,
but of greater diameter?

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain Lastname wrote:
Or £6 per metre, continuous length
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312896277017
Several sellers on Ebay.

£30/25m:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323808161146
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 14:43:28 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

snip

If you can't get exactly what you want, how about using ordinary
lightweight mains cable with silicon tube as sleeving? Or with heatproof
sleeving such as
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Sleeving_1/index.html,
but of greater diameter?

I'm not sure how that would impact the overall 'feel' of the cable
Jeff, something I was trying improve, certainly on the things like
soldering irons.

OOI, our Miele 'Big Cat and Dog' cleaner has a very flexible cable on
it (to work best with the self recoiling mech) and you can buy
replacement cables for them that are around 10m long for £35 witch is
a bit cheaper than buying the 1.5m lengths but I think it's only 2
core (double isolated plastic bodied cleaner). ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
[...]

If you don't mind waiting for it to arrive:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194111970...AOSwKxlglkO R

--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 08:00:47 -0700 (PDT), Owain Lastname
wrote:

On Tuesday, 8 June 2021 at 12:13:31 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
I can't seem to find a supplier of definable lengths of light silicone
3 core flex to use on things like soldering irons,

Rapid do it in 50 metre

https://www.rapidonline.com/flexes?&Attributes={%22Insulation%20Material%22:[%22Silicon%20rubber%22]}

£1.76/m is a good price and the .5 / 6mm OD should be nice n flexible.
It's just finding the £87.95 when I only need a few m right now ...

Or £6 per metre, continuous length
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312896277017
Several sellers on Ebay.

Thanks for those ... for some reason I had ignored the white sheathed
cables, even though I have had a Weller iron with a white lead for
some time.

Maybe it's because it can get dirty (not that it did particularly).

It just doesn't feel right on a tool somehow (but beggars can't be
choosers, £1.76/m eh). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08 Jun 2021 16:37:17 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

Owain Lastname wrote:
Or £6 per metre, continuous length
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312896277017
Several sellers on Ebay.

£30/25m:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323808161146

Down to £1.18/m and I only have to lay out 30 quid so that's good (and
25m should do all suitable tools and some. ;-)

Looks like I'm going to have to put up with white. ;-)

Looking at the pic it looked a bit 'chunky' then I noted it was a
picture of the 1.5, not .75.

6A gives me a bit more scope to use in slightly heavier roles but may
be a bit heavier than 'needed' for the more delicate stuff (like
soldering irons).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jun 2021 18:58:30 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

If you don't mind waiting for it to arrive:-

No, no particular rush, especially for the right stuff at the best
price and often stuff gets here from China faster than from the UK in
any case!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194111970...AOSwKxlglkO R

At £3.54 / m (+1.20 p&p) for the 3 core x .5 it's quite a bit more
expensive than the other solutions offered so far (but half what I was
looking at previously) and whilst it can be had in black, the cores
aren't the std EU harmonised colours but I guess I could sleeve them
in any case?

Choices! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A lot of these cables are designed to just run from a base to the iron I
think, which is fine if you are just doing the same task all the time but a
pain if not. I suppose you could ask cable companies directly, but I'd say
they would want to you to buy a reel of it.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It makes it more stiff though. I remember my old Iron which when it was cold
in my shed was more like a solid rod than flexible cable and even though it
was shrouded by silicon, it did not stop it from melting underneath, sadly.

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 08/06/2021 12:13, T i m wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 10:23:08 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

A lot of these cables are designed to just run from a base to the iron I
think, which is fine if you are just doing the same task all the time but a
pain if not.

I do want to replace the lead from the base of my old Weller station
to the iron as that IS showing some signs of being caught with the
iron. It's currently quite light, just would be nice if also
heatproof. ;-)

I suppose you could ask cable companies directly, but I'd say
they would want to you to buy a reel of it.

Yes, buying a full reel of something suitable is relatively easy but
because it's a bit 'off piste' is quite expensive.

I can buy the short lengths equally easily but that is the most
expensive way.

Cheers, T i m