Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alarm Cable: 8 core vs 6 core

I'm planning to put some new burglar alarm cabling in place while
redecorating in order to hide some of it better than in the current
installation and to change the location of some of the components.
The system is serviced and the company responsible for the servicing
will reinstall the components in the new locations at some appropriate
point in the future but it is more convenient for me to put the wires
in place now. I bought a reel of 8 core cable but have since realised
that the current installation uses 6 core. Is there any downside to
me using the 8 core? I suppose if it exactly the same as 6 core but
with a couple of extra wires then presumably it doesn't matter. The
only thing I wondered was whether they used thinner wires or something
in order to fit the 8 cores in. Basically I'm wondering whether I
need to take it back, which would be a bit of a pain.

Thanks,

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
In most cases 8 core is slightly larger in overall diameter due (as you say)
to the extra 2 cores ,however I have recently been saddled with an 8 core
which is actually thinner than the normal 6 core due to a much thinner
conductor.If you have bought this take it back it is very easily broken.
As to the size difference in most cases clips/staples work on both 8 & 6
core and most (if not all) devices support the use of either.
You may struggle if you have double doors with individual contacts as the
slimline surface contacts don't have a lot of room.
8 core is run for many reasons in 6 wire applications inc' power doubling on
long runs due to volts drop and redundancy in case a core is snapped or goes
faulty.
Personally I only carry 8 core .(have to much other junk in the van
already).
HTH
CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob :
I'm planning to put some new burglar alarm cabling in place while
redecorating in order to hide some of it better than in the current
installation and to change the location of some of the components.
The system is serviced and the company responsible for the servicing
will reinstall the components in the new locations at some appropriate
point in the future but it is more convenient for me to put the wires
in place now.

When I was in that position I contacted the service company and they
supplied me with suitable cable FOC. For me that had the extra advantage
that it avoided the possibility of them claiming that what I fitted
wasn't suitable, which would have been a bugger, to say the least. Worth
a try?

--
Mike Barnes